Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How did you find Kitz ?  (Read 9303 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
How did you find Kitz ?
« on: October 29, 2012, 11:15:58 AM »

Was just thinking back to when I actually found out about this site...

My first 'toe in to the water' with broadband was March 2007 with TalkTalk..... :(..for a month I spent more time off line than on until finally I managed to get out of my contract and went with BT in April 2007.All was ok for 3 months then connection kept dropping,countless phone calls to India who seemed to have me deleting browsing history/cookies every time I called.. :doh:.Till finally an engineer was despatched who spent about 3 hours fault finding at various locations..here/cabinet/exchange,until he finally went up the pole and moved my line on to a spare one...all of a sudden we had a stable connection. :dance:

Anyway back to what this thread is about...he told me to log on to kitz and register in the forums,which I did and I have been here ever since...This site helped me no end to get an understanding of how broadband works and how to find faults etc.......

So thanks Mr BT engineer for pointing me here  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: How did you find Kitz ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 12:18:40 PM »

>>> Mr BT engineer for pointing me here

Thanks for sharing that info UB, I didnt know that & thought you'd come via another website :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »

Somehow through using Plusnet, but the forgettery won't release further info. :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:08:25 PM by renluop »

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 02:01:05 PM »

I think it was 'Google' ( Or other well know search engines )  ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »

I really don't remember, but it was probably via Plusnet, like renluop.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »

I don't really remember but I suspect Google may well have been the culprit  ;)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 02:28:39 PM »

I just typed something broadband related into 'Google', top hit showed as 'Kitz', so and ended up here reading most of the tutorials.

As Kitz knows, I regularly plug the site to my punters, especially when I come across REIN faults. Telling somebody that 'Magic stuff in the air is affecting the circuit, and I find it by driving round in my van with the radio on', sometimes doesn't sound quite right to the EU. Throw 'RAMBO' (DLM) into the equation, and they think I've gone off my rocker.
They think I'm telling them that because it's raining, Rambo has arrived in town and has disabled their DSL, and is now in hiding and hard to find. But, I've got a radio in my van than can locate him ??

It's good to be able to actually show text to support what I'm telling the EU.  ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 07:10:42 PM »

It was back in 2007, when I first starting using TalkTalk as my CP, I was performing regular throughput checks at the ThinkBroadband site. There I saw many a reference to kitz.co.uk.

Soon, exhibiting feline curiosity, I had to take a look. From that day onwards, until March 2011, I was a regular guest visitor who was slowly reading through all the information. Eventually, having lurked for quite some time, I made my first posting . . . The rest is history.  :blush:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 07:12:43 PM »

I've just realised it's 4 years yesterday that I registered here.  :)
As for how I found the site I really can't remember, sorry!  :no:

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 08:39:51 PM »

I lurked (quite infrequently) for quite a few years, but had nothing to ask or contribute regarding my 1Mb (on a good day) ADSL connection over its 5300m or so from the exchange.
I probably first visited due to reading something in one of the Plusnet news groups or their Community Forum.

I actually registered & made my first post in August 2011 when I was struggling to understand why my newish FTTC connection had gone seriously downhill.

I'm a little wiser now, but prior to getting FTTC installed I really had no idea how Broadband worked other than high attenuation wasn't a good thing to have & that my connection showed the highest reportable DS attenuation (63.5dB) from a Netgear DG834GT when using DMT Tool, meaning that it was most probably even higher than that.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 01:16:16 PM »

@HP, belated 4th anniversary  :drink:

@ Eric, irrc you were one of the first to sign up when I opened up the forums. I could be wrong but I think you supplied some info to add to frogstats?  A few months later you were handed a broom and duster and kept an eye on things whilst I was away for a few days.  For your sins, these days you also have keys to the broom closet  :lol:

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 01:18:21 PM »

It was quite interesting for me to read these posts. - Where ever it was that you did come from, I'd like to thank each of you for participating in the forums.

I still maintain that much of the forums success is due to 'kitizens' sharing of knowledge between members... so thats down to you guys

:thumbs:
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 01:24:40 PM »

For your sins, these days you also have keys to the broom closet

When I was younger, that would have been immensely useful. :love: ;D
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 01:31:53 PM »

Well that fine... as long as you put up a "do not disturb sign" on the door... just so I didnt go wandering in and accidentally interrupt anything  :lol:
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 01:39:37 PM »

For your sins, these days you also have keys to the broom closet

When I was younger, that would have been immensely useful. :love: ;D

ERIC !!!.........please remember there are a lot of us naive younger members on here  :lol:
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything