Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Suggestions on a new router please?  (Read 15034 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Suggestions on a new router please?
« on: October 01, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »

I am starting to have a few problems with my trusty DSL-2740B and thinnk it may have to be replaced soon. It does not seem to like high traffic flow over wireless as it has been refusing to respond on both wireless and wired after a large data transfer was initiated from one of my PCs to another over wireless (one wireless connected and one by wire). Also occasionally I get an error from the embedded web server when I connect over the lan (remote access is disabled).

So what should I get if it does give up? Currently this router will hold an 8meg connection down to very low SNRM values (around 1-2 db on a attenuation of 41db upstream). This router also has SNMP which I use to monitor bandwidth. FTTC is now available in my area but as yet I dont see the need but that may change and if it does I'd like to have my own managed kit so if there is an option for both ADSL2 and VDSL in the same box at an affordable price it might be interesting.

So what do folks suggest.....

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Suggestions on a new router please?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 02:58:12 PM »

The DSL-2740B is one I would normally recommend, but I wasn't aware of any WiFi problems. Probably the one which gets most plaudits is the Billion 7800N, which has the same chipset as the 2740B, but it's an expensive option if it fails to meet your needs.

If you want kit which will be compatible with VDSL2, one very good option is the HG612, which you need to unlock to use it on anything other than a BT-based FTTC system. You can get them inexpensively from eBay, and unlocking them is easy. But the HG612 is only a 2-port non-wireless router, so you would need to add a WAP for your WiFi connections, and maybe a switch if you need more than two ethernet connections.

Apart from that, I believe that there are some very expensive FritzBox models which do both ADSL(2+) and VDSL2.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 01:25:26 AM »

I agree with Roseway, HG612 is a 'cheap' way of getting a modem that has a decent broadcom 6368 chipset and you get get them for about £10 on ebay (ive just bought one for £10 delivered), your current D-link is broadcom 6358 which is an older version of the 63xx series chipsets, ive found higher sync rates every time Ive gone up a version and you can also tweak the HG612 (when its unlocked) to lower the SNRM for more speed and get advanced stats from it.

e.g. these are max speeds on my sky connection (which uses a broadcom based ISAM at the exchange)

6348 - 15.4Mb (Netgear DG834GT)
6358 - 15.8Mb (Netgear DG834N)
6362 - 16.8Mb (Sagemcon F@ST 2504N)
6361 - 17.2Mb (Sky SR101) I think this is might be newer than 6362, its a 6362 without dect and I think thats why the reduced the code to 6361, I could be wrong of course
6368 - ??.?Mb (Huawei HG612 3b) waiting to get it...

of course 'Firmware' plays a massive part too, one vendors router with same chipset as another may perform better or worse..

it is proven that its usually best to match your router chipset to your ISP's MSAN/DSLAM chipset - do you know what your ISP uses? you will be able to find out on your D-Link if it has Telnet access using the adslctl info --vendor command, mind it doesn't mean that a differing chipset will always under-perform, I tested a TREND chipset Huawei HG521 router last week and it got 17Mb speed on my sky connection.

the HG612 would mean your already setup for FTTC too, yes you have to setup a 2nd device for wireless access but its easy, I dont know of any wireless xDSL routers that work on BT's FTTC on their own without the HG612 (which is what BTo install for FTTC) - also if your 2nd router has multiple ethernet ports then these can be used too, so for e.g. if you use a standard 4 port wireless router then 1 is used to connect to the HG612 and the other 3 are spare (as is the 2nd one on the HG612 meaning you would have 4 ethernet ports) - Im going to use my Sky SR101 Hub for the wi-fi (144Mbps) but I have a DG834N and HG521 that have 270Mbps speeds should I need it.

my suggestions would be (in no preferred order)

a) Huawei Echolife HG612 B3 Modem Only - sports a broadcom 6368 chipset and two 100Mbit LANs, use any router you like (with DHCP off and LAN IP changed) for the wi-fi
b) Netgear DGND4000 xDSL Wireless Router - 750N (300+450) Dual-Band Wi-Fi, Gigabit Ethernet, USB port, IPv6, support for FTTC/Cable via WAN Input and a Broadcom 6362 chipset, its released in a few weeks.
c) Billion BiPAC 7800N xDSL Wireless Router- triple external antenna 300N Wi-Fi, support for FTTC/Cable via WAN input, IPv6, SNRM Tweaking built into user interface, excellent support and sports a broadcom 6358 chipset

but as already mentioned I think the best option (with cheapest price probably too) would be an HG612 b3 with any Wireless-N router that gets good reviews.

edit: another CHEAP option for a broadcom router (for ADSL) is a BT Home Hub 2 type A which is unlockable, has 300N 'smart' wifi and broadcom 6358 chipset same as your D-Link and you can get them on eBay for £9 (although check the version your buying is type A and not B which is an infineon chipset)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:12:45 AM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:10:25 AM »

... (although check the version your buying is type A and not B which is an infineon chipset)

Personally I would prefer the infineon chip over the Broadcom.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »

Thanks for all the advice. I am still mulling over what to do.

I already have an access point which I use downstairs via a mains lan extender so we get a better wifi signal downstairs and at present I have wireless turned off on the D-Link and no more hangups, the upstairs PC connects OK via the ap and data transfer is not an issue like it was. I still get the odd hiccup on connecting to the router via the browser where the http server gives an error.

As I said my main concern here is that I maintain the 8meg connection with whatever router I go for and that it holds up OK at low snrm. I'd probably get a switch if I do get the HG612 as I prefer a wired connection for my two main PCs upstairs so I need at least 3 lan ports to connect the ap as well. In fact if I get a switch I'd wire all the upstairs PCs. I have searched ebay for HG612s but none I've found show if they are A or B, does it indicate on an external label the A/B?

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 10:25:05 AM »

This HG612 specifically says it's version 3B. I'm open to correction, but I think that version A is a very rare beast, and if you get a new one it will almost certainly be a B.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 10:28:46 AM »

This HG612 specifically says it's version 3B. I'm open to correction, but I think that version A is a very rare beast, and if you get a new one it will almost certainly be a B.

I think I was getting confused between the Home Hub and the HG612  :blush:

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 07:38:04 AM »

Just purchased an HG612 type 3b on ebay for just over £10 delivered, so will try this out when it arrives. Will need to get a switch now as well!

The DSL-2740B hung up again last night this time I think it may havebeen related to high wired lan traffic while I was backing up one PC to the NAS, so it is definitely on the way out. Seems OK for web traffic though - touch wood!

Stuart

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »

Stuart
As an old hardware man may I suggest it might be worth looking at the PSU particularly for bulging electrolytic capacitors. So much modern gear appears to fail with this fault and recognition is usually easy and replacement is generally not too difficult if you can use a soldering iron. It might save you more expense and you would have your established set up back.
Tony

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 12:03:15 PM »

Stuart
As an old hardware man may I suggest it might be worth looking at the PSU particularly for bulging electrolytic capacitors. So much modern gear appears to fail with this fault and recognition is usually easy and replacement is generally not too difficult if you can use a soldering iron. It might save you more expense and you would have your established set up back.
Tony

I will take a look when I get a chance, although the PSU is a typical brick on a plug, so it would need to be smoothing caps inside the router. Anyway when I get my HG612 (which was very cheap anyway) Ill unlock it and give it a try, then I can take the DSL-2740B apart to see.

Stuart

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 12:40:17 PM »

Stuart
You could try a new Wall Wart quite cheaply. http://www.digidave.co.uk/jshop/product.php?xProd=4216 is one example
Tony

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »

I'm rather dubious about that unit, because it's described as a 5V power supply suitable for the DSL-2740B, but the 2740B requires a 12V power supply.
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 02:35:06 PM »

Sorry Stuart and thanks Eric. Didn't spot that since I don't have a DSL-2740B but I have bought PSUs from Digidave and for all his suspect name, they have been OK
Tony

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 03:22:56 PM »

for all his suspect name

I know what you mean. :)   But I've bought the odd cheapie from him and had no trouble.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 10:21:35 PM »

@ Stuart - got my HG612 3B today - the unlocking etc went smoothly, had some issues getting it to work initially but after following instruction on the wiki page HERE I got it working spot on - only thing I didnt do was the IP filtering in the firewall section (which I need to ask B'Kat about) which was to allow all OUT over LAN and block all IN over WAN..because he didnt state what option you chose..LAN, DHCP or 0.38 - i thought it would be 0.38 but didnt want to chance it without asking so left that part out entirely - followed everything else in the firewall section

so far its worked great in tandem with my sky hub which i use for wi-fi and extra LAN ports as the HG612 has only 2, my hub means I now have 4 available

the sync rate isnt as high as I'd hoped it would be but at least now I can make it higher by tweaking the SNRM.

heres my syncs on each of my routers:

SPEEDS - ROUTER - CHIPSET
17.2Mb - Sky Hub SR101 - BCM 6361
16.9Mb - Huawei HG521 - Trend Chipset
16.8Mb - Sky Router 2504N - BCM 6362
16.4Mb - Huawei HG612 - BCM 6368
15.8Mb - Netgear DG834N - BCM 6358
15.3Mb - Netgear DG834GT - BCM 6348

I was hoping it would at least match the 6361/6362's ..but it hasnt...but is still better than my Netgears that allow me to tweak also.

I have some funny error statistics too (high CRC's and HEC's) but ive been told this is a bug and its all 'lies' - i got 850 CRC's in under 4 hours on a 7db noise margin

but....

since moving my sky hub off the top of the HG612 the error counts have definitley decreased..still dont reflect the error counts in user interface (which is where its incorrect)

heres my stats after 90 mins, as you can see really low Corrected Errors and only 1 CRC... spot on! :)

TPS-TC:                 ATM Mode
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):        7.1             8.0
Attn(dB):        27.0            14.8
Pwr(dBm):        18.5            12.1

Counters
                        Path 0
SF:             321210          317477
SFErr:          1               0