Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tracking down that elusive Noise fault  (Read 12199 times)

ColinS

• Reg Member
Re: Tracking down that elusive Noise fault
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 01:02:55 PM »

Just in case anyone thought (or perhaps hoped ;)) that my elusive fault (and me!) had gone away, here's the latest stats.  (To me at least) the most revealing thing is a massive (well, it seems massive to me; perhaps Garry could comment?!) increase in RSCorr stats.
Enjoy  ???

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 03:34:09 PM »

Colins,

Can't see anything attached to that post  :lol:

Regards
Gary

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 07:17:59 PM »

Can't see anything attached to that post  :lol:

"Should have gone to SpecSavers:P
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 08:37:46 AM »

BK i am def not blind  :lol: think it is BT's security blocking the images or something cause the graphs obviously must be there if i am being told to go to spec savers lol

Regards
Gary

SlowConnector

• The race is won by he who endures until the end
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 04:40:46 PM »

I am guessing here, but could a street light be a source of RFI?

If I understand the chart correctly, the RFI seems to come on after sunset, and then drops off towards dawn. Perhaps this could be a "noisy" street light generating intereference near a suspended telephone cable?  :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 06:24:29 PM »

There certainly is something "switched", that is clear from the SNRM and Corrected RS Errors graphs.

It comes on at ~2230 hours and goes off at ~0730 hours. For my area, that is too late in coming on and too late in going off to be a street light. How does that timing correlate with the street lights in your area, SlowC?

I suspect that ColinS will need to "walk the streets" with a radio capable of receiving around the 300 - 306 kHz or 600 - 612 kHz frequencies during the hours of darkness.  ;)

SlowConnector

• The race is won by he who endures until the end
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 03:57:06 AM »

I can just imagine ColinS walking the streets with a radio, muttering to himself "no radiation here".

His neighbors might be on edge for a few days, but if he finds the source, hey, the mass hysteria will be worth it  :P

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 05:07:28 PM »

:lol:   :thumbs:

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 05:48:12 PM »

I would like to say that walking round the streets waving a radio will not actually draw attention.
It does, definately does.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »

Did you ever do so during the hours of darkness?

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 06:17:15 PM »

I'd be interested in any strategies for actually dealing with the REIN once the source has been found.

I've got an issue with one souce
I know when it switches on - mid morning and I've traced it to one of a few houses all fed from the same BT pole about a quarter mile away.
So the question is how to try to get it fixed given that I don't know any of the occupants.
BT won't be interested - not their plant, OFCOM probably won't be interested as it not wiping out the whole village - just dropping my SNR by around 0.7 and dumping some CRC's on my line and slowing the BB down.
My fellow residents won't give a toss - despite what we hear on forums about how 'everyone' desperately wants faster broadband.  No actually, most are not really interested.
Polite notes though doors about some broadband interference without pointing any fingers will go straight in the bin. Believe my I know, even village notes about significant issues seem to be binned by a large proportion - who then complain they weren't told.
Personal visits by me may well result in me being asked to **** off, and you can see their point of view if someone you don't know rolls up and starts asking about broadband interference with the implication that you might be responsible.

any ideas?

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 06:21:26 PM »

yes. Some times if there was a suspected REIN fault that occured in the evenings I would sometimes divert to the area on my way home.
You get a lot of twitching curtains.
Mind you with the van tracking system now? Strictly speaking I wasn't ment to be doing that unless I had a live task.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 06:41:41 PM »

Sorry c6em, I posted before seeing yours.

I only had one potential REIN comming from an address where they wouldn't answer the door. As far as I understood the section dealing with REIN faults in Leeds would pass ourt findings to offcom who are ment to follow this up. They have their own interference guys with the powers to "lean" on any parties found having to broadcast REIN. Be it affecting telecoms or anything else.

Generaly I've found 3rd parties always approachable, curious, and helpfull. Also as typicaly it would affect their own service as well and feel grateful that they now have a better net connection.

Although it was outside my remit to approach 3rd parties it was bar one exsample successfull. Just a case of being curtious, explaining the situation while avoiding any remarks which may be taken as accusatory. Also its good to be discrete. I can think of a village which was knocked out. It was hard to hide the fact as I was being watched by many villagers which house had the offending item causing the problem (this case a netgear router, probably damaged due to a lightning surge). Just reassure everyone that it can happen to any appliance in any building. things breakdown but REIN is an invisible breakdown to us.

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 11:09:48 AM »

Drop some letters through the doors then give it a couple of days then go to the doors cause at least then you will have something to pitch to them like "hey i hope you received my letter i am just conducting some investigations and have spoken to several other households who i also sent a letter to" then you go from there. Also mention in the letter that you will be paying a visit in the next couple of days if you have heard nothing back.

Regards
Gary

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 11:44:55 AM »

Lots of info from the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) on identifying and locating RFI. They should know: ham radio nuts cause much of it!

http://www.arrl.org/radio-frequency-interference-rfi

This website of Belgian Mark Demeuleneere, ON4WW, also has a lot of info:

http://www.on4ww.be/emi-rfi.html

cheers, a
Pages: 1 [2] 3