Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: It was alright a minute ago...  (Read 22909 times)

Excelsior

• Star Fleet X Bomber homepage
Re: It was alright a minute ago...
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2012, 09:35:08 PM »

OK bcat I'll see about doing that - I've tried cleaning up the sockets upstairs but a lack of ring wire makes no odds whatsoever, so I think the disconnection option is best.  I've found a decent implement to unscrew the blue connector points so I'll try and look at the wiring in due course.  Thanks for the kind offer.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2012, 10:03:12 PM »

I've found a decent implement to unscrew the blue connector points

In past-times, such a device was known as a "turn-screw". Nowadays that thingy, which SHMBO uses to open a can of treacle or to pick the stones out of the soles of her hiking-boots, is known as a screwdriver.  ;)

In your own time (and before disconnecting anything) let me known the exact wire colours, cables and terminals thus connected.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Excelsior

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2012, 07:58:37 PM »

Alllllrighty then.  Let's see if this makes sense to you, because it doesn't make much sense to me!  So, we have three cables coming into the box:
Black - presumably from outside
Black/white - from the alarm box
White - presumably feeding the upstairs extensions

The Black line feeds an Orange wire to terminal 5 and a white wire to terminal 2.
The Black/White line feeds a Blue-white dashed wire to terminal 2 and a White-blue dashed wire to terminal 5.
The White line is busy.  It feeds a Green-white dashed wire to terminal 1.  A White-orange dashed wire to terminal 4.  An Orange-white dashed wire to terminal 3.  A White-green dashed wire to terminal 6.  A White-blue dashed wire to terminal 5.

So everything connects to terminal 5. The White line connects to all the terminals except 2, which the other 2 leads attach to.

Confused am I.  May the 4th be with you!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2012, 09:13:21 PM »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2012, 10:56:42 PM »

Alllllrighty then.  Let's see if this makes sense to you, because it doesn't make much sense to me!

<snip>

Confused am I.  May the 4th be with you!

Yes, it does make sense to me.  :)

I agree with your assignment of the three cables:

Black sheathed cable -- incoming service feed, using the orange and the white wires for the pair.
White sheathed cable with an added black identifier -- to the alarm, using the white/blue striped and the blue/white striped wires.
White sheathed cable -- to the extension sockets, partially disconnected.

This is my plan of action:

(1) At the master socket, carefully unscrew each of the terminals and remove every wire! Try to ensure that the orange and white wires of the incoming service feed (black sheathed cable) do not come into contact. (No harm will be done if thy do -- just try not to do so.)

(2) For the black sheathed cable, ensure that all the unused wires are folded back, so that they do not get in the way. Check the bare ends of the orange and white wires to ensure that the exposed core is not about to break off and will be good for eventual reconnection.

(3) For the white sheathed cable with the black identifying mark (to the alarm), do likewise, with the blue/white striped and white/blue striped wires.

(4) For the white sheathed cable (to the extensions), draw all the six wires straight together and carefully trim the entire bundle such that there are no exposed cores. Wind those six wires around two of your fingers and then flatten the resulting coil down into a sausage shape. When you come to refit the master socket to the backing box, you should ensure that wire sausage is tucked out of the way, to one side.

(5) Now the reconnection: (a) The white wire from the black sheathed cable and the blue/white striped wire from the alarm cable should be connected to terminal number two. (b) The orange wire from the black sheathed cable and the white/blue striped wire from the alarm cable should be connected to terminal number five.

(6) Carefully arrange the cables within the backing box (I can see from one of the images that there is not much clearance and that the alarm cable has been crushed somewhat in the past) and refit the socket to the backing box.

Job done.  ;D

You might like to perform an alarm test to ensure that when it is triggered, it does make a successful call to the designated number.

The next phase should be to contact your ISP and let them know that you do not have a designated NTP -- an NTE5/A -- so you do not have a test socket and are unable to fit an SSFP. Also mention that you have a hard-wired alarm system and you would appreciate an Openreach engineering visit to "normalise" your wiring with the fitting of an NTE5/A. Remind them that it will be a FOC service by Openreach . . .

Once all of the above is done, we can then continue to monitor how your Broadband connection behaves and suggest other things to try, if necessary.

Excelsior

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2012, 09:03:15 PM »

Sir, if I'm reading this right, we have full power.
Go, Sulu!

Well, warp speed it isn't but it's a damn sight better.  The low noise margin has more than doubled to about the 7.5db mark - with the lights full on.  Download speed is up to a little over 2MB on router stats, not sure it's ever shown a 2... before.  New router is certainly helping I think but the lights have never had so little impact.  I think there's still an impact there, but it's massively reduced.  Thank you very, very much one and all and especially you burakkucat for your superb instructions.  I may still get a cheap radio because clearly those transformers are kicking out interference, but I'll see how it is after the line's settled again.  Hope this assists someone else encountering similar problems.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2012, 09:19:45 PM »

I may still get a cheap radio because clearly those transformers are kicking out interference

They're not all that common in these days of digital synthesis.  But I did acquire a nice little old fashioned analogue one, perfect for this job, as a prize for the penny machines at one of the South Coast resorts last year, maybe Hastings, I'm not sure.  But If you're feeling lucky, live near the seaside and have time on your hands...    :D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2012, 09:25:34 PM »

Sir, if I'm reading this right, we have full power.
Go, Sulu!

^-^  b*cat smiles, inscrutably, and gives one of his best Japanese-style bows. Thank you, kind sir, for your compliment.  :)

You may well obtain a further improvement, once Openreach have fitted an NTE5/A. Why? Because at the moment, the cable that connects to the alarm is acting as a "bridged tap" for the xDSL signal. The alarm system either needs to be connected via its own (hardwired) filter or from the telephony side of a SSFP -- which you currently are not able to fit due to the absence of a NTP:-X

Excelsior

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2012, 09:13:22 PM »

Well this is interesting.  24 hrs on, the lights are definitely having no impact and the stats are quite dramatically changed in terms of up and down - down is not greater than up, noise margin wise, which was never the case before.  I don't understand why?  Very different to the original readings several pages back, looks better?

Downstream

Upstream

Connection Speed

2043 kbps (Down)

798 kbps (Up)

Line Attenuation

56.5 dB (Down)

29.4 dB (Up)

Noise Margin

9.0 dB (Down)

6.0 dB (Up)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2012, 01:09:43 AM »

Yes, definitely looks better.  :thumbs:   :dance:

Excelsior

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2012, 10:04:01 AM »

The downstream connection speed now seems to have settled to just over 3000.  I would have thought that's as good as it's going to get with our distance from the exchange.  Incredible that the upstairs extension sockets were causing so much interference, even with the lights off we weren't previously attaining that sort of speed so the wiring up there must just have been soaking up whatever interference was around and passing it all down to the master socket.  God knows what the cabling actually looks like, I hope we never have to find out!  Really good to get this sorted now, because in theory we should get FTTC before long although there are no signs of upgrade work as yet.  I dare say that will be another adventure...!

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2012, 03:03:10 PM »

a round of applause please for burakkucat in recognition of his expertise in remote viewing and distance wiring  ;D

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »

Standing evasion for BK and his outstanding instructions on wiring which to be fair i just got my head around just over half of it lol. The only part i really understood was the wiring part for the extensions (white cable with blue/white and white/blue)  :lol:

Gary

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2012, 07:48:07 PM »

a round of applause please for burakkucat in recognition of his expertise in remote viewing and distance wiring  ;D

None of that would have been possible without the initial discussions with GPO Telephone Engineers, which took place a very long time ago, when burakkucat was just a burakkukitten!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2012, 07:54:35 PM »

Standing evasion for BK . . .

I guess you must have had prior experience of evading a feline paw swipe, complete with exposed claws, Gary;)

I thank you for the attempt at an ovation but would far prefer a lick of double-cream, a glass of Bushmills Whiskey or other similar treats.  :)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything