Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: REIN Interference, long history line issue. (FTTC)  (Read 88565 times)

JoshShep

• Reg Member
Re: REIN Interference, long history line issue. (FTTC)
« Reply #180 on: May 04, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »

That's what I thought, in the past when I've had a reset it's been on site.

They have done a reset remotely before so it is possible,

just something they don't normally do/request.

and yeah, the modem was unlocked as soon as he left  ;D

Cheers,

Josh

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2012, 02:30:19 PM »

Quick question for Black Sheep, is it normal to hear the radio coming down your drop wire? Using the RF Tester of course.

Thank you,

Josh
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 03:20:18 PM by JoshShep »

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2012, 10:12:36 PM »

Anyone?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #183 on: May 05, 2012, 10:42:06 PM »

Anyone?

^-^ No, that is an abnormal situation.  :no:

Just out of interest, which radio station was it?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2012, 11:08:10 AM »

I am not 100% sure,

I believe it was FM radio, maybe radio 2.

Cheers,

Josh

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2012, 01:03:28 AM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . . Let's consider that.

Radio 2, on Band II (i.e. VHF), can be found in the 88 - 91 MHz frequency range.

ADSL uses up to 256 tones, each 4.3125 kHz wide. Maximum frequency 1.104 MHz.
ADSL2 uses up to 256 tones, each 4.3125 kHz wide. Maximum frequency 1.104 MHz.
ADSL2+ uses up to 512 tones, each 4.3125 kHz wide. Maximum frequency 2.208 MHz.
VDSL2 (profile 17a) uses up to 4095 tones, each 4.3125 kHz wide. Maximum frequency 17.660 MHz.

So there is no possibility of frequency conflict. However it would be a good idea to minimise the presence of spurious signals being fed into the xDSL port of the modem. Hence the fitting of the BT80B-RF3 to the line.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2012, 11:26:11 AM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . . Let's consider that.

Radio 2, on Band II (i.e. VHF), can be found in the 88 - 91 MHz frequency range.

ADSL uses up to 256 tones, each 4.3125 kHz wide. Maximum frequency 1.104 MHz.
ADSL2 uses up to 256 tones, each 4.3125 kHz wide. Maximum frequency 1.104 MHz.
ADSL2+ uses up to 512 tones, each 4.3125 kHz wide. Maximum frequency 2.208 MHz.
VDSL2 (profile 17a) uses up to 4095 tones, each 4.3125 kHz wide. Maximum frequency 17.660 MHz.

So there is no possibility of frequency conflict. However it would be a good idea to minimise the presence of spurious signals being fed into the xDSL port of the modem. Hence the fitting of the BT80B-RF3 to the line.

Thanks for the @burakkucat,

All I remember is, he placed the aerial from the 444B RF Tester on the drop wire just before the NTE5, and we could both clearly hear a radio station.

He said it would be a good idea to fit an RF3 filter, and said it should be ok now.

He also mentioned that REIN doesn't normally effect VDSL,

He told me about a time a faulty sky box was giving off REIN and a whole street on ADSL was effected and everyone on VDSL was fine.

Cheers,

Josh

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2012, 11:43:29 AM »

He also mentioned that REIN doesn't normally effect VDSL,

He told me about a time a faulty sky box was giving off REIN and a whole street on ADSL was effected and everyone on VDSL was fine.

Hmmm.

VDSL2 uses the same lower frequencies as ADSL1 through to ADSL2+ along with even higher frequencies.

Unless standard faceplate filtering for VDSL2 connections is far, far superior to standard filtering for ADSL connections, I would take such a broad statement with more than just a pinch of salt.

Now, if the VDSL2 cabinet was only a few metres from everyone in that street & they had really high SNR & SNRM levels, really low attenuation levels & really high attainable rates of say 130Mb or so, using brand new & really good condition copper cables, then maybe the engineer's statement could have been true.

I suspect if everyone in that street was the same distance from the cabinet as I am, REIN from that Sky box might have had a bit of an effect on the VDSL2 connections.

So, the engineer's statment may have been the truth, but perhaps not the whole truth ???

strontium90

« Reply #188 on: May 07, 2012, 07:04:39 PM »

Hope this is helpful...after suffering from REIN for many years and using a Netgear to artificially keep my target snr around 4dB I have managed to keep a 3.5 meg profile with DLM on a 54dB attenuation line...I decided to risk "Faster Total Broadband" with BT and seen (on his JDSU) 19meg coming in at the test socket on Friday morning...
I haven't unlocked their thingy majig with asbokids firmware yet but am getting an 18meg profile and around about 16meg wirelessly downstairs... I live about a mile and a half (following the poles) from the green PCP....is this a story with a happy ending? :o

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #189 on: May 07, 2012, 07:15:47 PM »

Hi strontium90,

I live about a mile and a half (following the poles) from the green PCP....is this a story with a happy ending? :o

Well, that's around 2400 metres, so as long as you can maintain those speeds, with a stable connection, it looks pretty happy to me  :)

We have seen evidence of those sort of speeds over 1600m connections (very stable connections though).

I don't suppose the engineer mentioned the line length as reported by his JDSU did he?

Paul.

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2012, 09:37:20 PM »

Forgot to add this,

The REIN Engineer that came also told me my line length is 900m from the cab according to his JDSU,

But that can't be true, it's no where near that length!  ???

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #191 on: May 07, 2012, 09:38:21 PM »

Hope this is helpful...after suffering from REIN for many years and using a Netgear to artificially keep my target snr around 4dB I have managed to keep a 3.5 meg profile with DLM on a 54dB attenuation line...I decided to risk "Faster Total Broadband" with BT and seen (on his JDSU) 19meg coming in at the test socket on Friday morning...
I haven't unlocked their thingy majig with asbokids firmware yet but am getting an 18meg profile and around about 16meg wirelessly downstairs... I live about a mile and a half (following the poles) from the green PCP....is this a story with a happy ending? :o

3.5 to 18 is a great difference, as long as your line is stable, id be happy :)

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2012, 10:18:02 AM »

Update - 17/08: Had an Engineer here yesterday, he did some tests and concluded there are issues at the cab, they wanted to do a lift and shift but some test failed so they wasn't able to do so, he has escalated the issue and should be picked up within a few days, speeds are down to just 19Mbps at the moment so something isn't right.

The line AC balance is 60, so that is good. And he confirmed the distance is 700M to the cab.

He wasn't happy with something and said it will be sorted out and for me not to worry, it's been a long process, these issues have been there since early December last year.

Fingers crossed it gets resolved sooner than later.

Cheers,

Josh

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2012, 10:47:29 AM »

Update - 17/08: Had an Engineer here yesterday, he did some tests and concluded there are issues at the cab, they wanted to do a lift and shift but some test failed so they wasn't able to do so, he has escalated the issue and should be picked up within a few days, speeds are down to just 19Mbps at the moment so something isn't right.

He wasn't happy with something and said it will be sorted out and for me not to worry, it's been a long process, these issues have been there since early December last year.

Fingers crossed indeed.

Did the engineer confirm whether he was talking about the old PCP or the new fibre cab?
My guess would be the old PCP.

I am starting to wonder though if there could be a potential issue with fibre cabs equipment overheating under certain conditions.
They do need cooling fans anyway, but what if the fans don't switch on soon enough e.g. at times when equipment is hot due to peak demand and/or during warm & dry weather?

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2012, 06:41:28 PM »

Fingers crossed indeed.

Did the engineer confirm whether he was talking about the old PCP or the new fibre cab?
My guess would be the old PCP.

I am starting to wonder though if there could be a potential issue with fibre cabs equipment overheating under certain conditions.
They do need cooling fans anyway, but what if the fans don't switch on soon enough e.g. at times when equipment is hot due to peak demand and/or during warm & dry weather?

He didn't say, he just wasn't happy with how things were performing,

He checked the pairs underground going to the cab and concluded that wasn't the problem.

He got to the cab and found there is an issue there, he wanted to do a lift and shift but he was unable to do this because OR currently have a system problem with performing a port swap for TT lines.

He said it should get picked up soon, I hope tomorrow.

And in regards to the heat coming from the cabs, I always here the fans cooling the systems but this is during the day, I guess like you say at busy times it could actually overheat and cause problems for everyone?

The weather is getting warmer and we both know our lines perform better when it's cold or wet. It could again just be a coincidence but who knows...

Cheers,

Josh
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15