Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What shall I do ?.  (Read 3957 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
What shall I do ?.
« on: February 10, 2012, 01:53:26 PM »

I have had another computer and LCD monitor given me for my Linux testing.
Booting it up and looking at the hard drive and the amount of Ram, I noticed the the person had not taken all there data off it even although they may have thought they had !.
It has XP on it  (which will soon be wiped  :)) .
On opening up Internet Explorer it took me strait to there bank account  :o, then opening up the email browser took me strait into there emails account  :o .
I did the decent thing and shut the browsers down ASAP.

What shall I do ?. anything ?.
I was thinking on the lines of saying that I had found a virus on there hard drive and think they should change there passwords for all there accounts there safety.

I'm Not going to tell them what I have seen ( and now forgot) .

A good lesson if you are giving away any computer wipe the hard drive or do a fresh install of the operating system.

A downside after repairing the switch on the front of the monitor and then testing it it was quite noticeable that it was scrap as the screen was cracked (I did notice an small scratch on the screen when they gave it ti me but did not think it was much).
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: What shall I do ?.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:12:01 PM »

Tbh I think you should tell them and make them aware how serious this is.Better to try and educate them than say nothing.After all its not your fault as to what you have seen.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:47:02 PM »

Yes, I think I agree with that. The lack of awareness of such basic security is likely to get them into trouble sooner or later.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 05:10:04 PM »

I'll add my agreement to both Eric's and Uncle's suggestions.  :o
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 07:18:19 PM »

Inform them - I am sure they will thank you for the info.

Colin

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 07:01:41 PM »

Ok, I have sent them an email..just waiting for the flack now. :'(

I have also told them how to set up a 'User' account and told them it's not secure to use an Administrator account as they had it set.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 10:34:48 PM »

I had a nice email back thanking me and said it was a Professional person who cleaned there computer when they bought the new one  :'(:o

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 10:56:37 PM »

>>> a Professional person who cleaned there computer

Very professional! :no:
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 08:06:43 AM »

There is only one way to be sure to 100% clean a computer and that is a sldge hammer and metal spike and drive it through the hard drive  :'(  :police: However I doubt the FBI or GCHQ would get at any PC normally  :lol:

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 05:07:32 PM »

I prefer to dismantle the disk-drive and drop the platter(s) into a furnace.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 09:29:18 PM »

I prefer to dismantle the disk-drive and drop the platter(s) into a furnace.  :)

heh, For some reason Im just reminded of the incidents on the net sometime during the early 2000 I think it was, when it became a 'laugh' to advise users to make a batch file with  the cmd del system32  :-X

There was one reported incident where someone did and then was promptly advised to use a magnet over the HDD to fix.   I think it was a joke.. as Im sure no one really went through with it.
It was however one of those posts though where you are sat half cringing, half in awe and thinking "noooooooooo"  as you read through it.. and kinda funny in a warped way.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 09:50:52 PM »

There is only one way to be sure to 100% clean a computer and that is a sldge hammer and metal spike and drive it through the hard drive  :'(  :police: However I doubt the FBI or GCHQ would get at any PC normally  :lol:

Stuart

Reminds me of a decade or two ago, I was working on MOD secure software whereby every copy of the data, on every disk, had to be accounted for.

At one point, a disk drive crashed.   We were allowed to replace it and to re-instate it from an authorised backup, but the boffins asked to borrow the old drive to make certain it was properly erased.  When they returned it we received just a bag of bits, including  some some circular objects that had once beens disk platters, but every ounce of lining had been filed away from them.  I suspect that was at least as effective as the metal spike solution  :D

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 10:19:47 PM »

Running 'Dban' does a good job.  ;)
http://www.dban.org/

anything