Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Remove extension from NTE5 master socket  (Read 3488 times)

portal_2

• Just arrived
Remove extension from NTE5 master socket
« on: February 01, 2012, 01:23:41 PM »

Hi I'm trying to remove an extension from my master phone socket to try and improve speeds ect. but I'm a bit confused as to how to do it. There are 2 faceplates; one is blank and the other below has the phone socket on it. I assume its the bottom one I need to unscrew but I'm not sure what wires to disconnect. Any help would be great.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Remove extension from NTE5 master socket
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 01:48:50 PM »

Hi Portal_2 and welcome,

It's difficult to be absolutely precise without photographs of your actual arrangements.

However IF you master socket is correctly wired, the extension wires should ONLY be connected to the bottom half of the faceplate that you are permitted to take off and wire as you wish.
You should just remove all wires from that bottom removable half.

Kind regards,
Walter

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 03:41:39 PM »

But if it's correctly wired with just connections on IDC 2 and 5 then there is not likely to be any improvement.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »

Surely the simplest thing would be to remove the faceplate and then connect via the exposed test socket?

If there is no difference, then the extension wiring is not causing a problem. If there is a difference, describe exactly which wire goes to which IDC on the faceplate (or post a photograph) and someone will advise.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

portal_2

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 06:57:43 PM »

Sorry for the delay in response, anyway, thanks burakkucat, oranged & waltergmw - I removed the faceplate and connected to the test socket and yes there was no noticeable difference is speed so the extension is not causing any problems. The reason I was looking into it is because I keep experiencing drop outs with my connection (on ADSL). I recently replaced the microfilter which seemed to fix the disconnections however it has starting doing it again. I think there is a fault with my line - I have been monitoring the statistics on my Netgear router and every so ofter during the drop out period there is higher attenuation on the WAN link and noise margin goes through the roof- eventually dropping to 0 as the connection breaks.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 07:04:30 PM »

It may be an intermittent line fault or some other intermittent interference. I suggest that you install Routerstats, and leave it running to monitor the noise margin over time. This will very probably give some indication of what the problem is.
  Eric