Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: CRC, FEC, HEC Error count  (Read 46886 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: CRC, FEC, HEC Error count
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2011, 11:07:57 PM »

Hi
Definite improvement over the last few days ,It also seems to be a little better in the last 24 hrs of the 2 day graphs ,since that resynch Just before 0600Hrs ,CRCs seem to be generally  down to < half  of the previous 24 hrs eveen thogh the synch rate is a little higher .
Regards Jeff
Edit as you say a pattern may now emerge
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 11:10:06 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2011, 10:27:59 AM »

Dear All,

Just a quick update following the engineer's visit of 15th November:-

The connection now appears stable, & is now hardly affected at all by incoming/outgoing phone calls.
Sync speed has also shown a SLIGHT improvement, but is still well below its original level.

14 day, 24 hour, & this morning's graphs can be seen at this link ( too large to upload here without losing definition):-

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7Kcea04kkOENTc2NDdhOTctMTM0MS00MzUzLWIzMjYtMjYzMTRhYmU3YTZm

Paul.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2011, 10:48:48 PM »

Hi
Problem is my eyesight isn't what it used to be  :)
Regards Jeff
zen user

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2011, 11:01:36 PM »

Hi
Problem is my eyesight isn't what it used to be  :)
Regards Jeff

Neither is mine. I goosed without my reding glasses these days.

If you download the document (about 1 Mb), you can zoom into it to see the details with any picture viewer.
(unless you have already done that & are still struggling)  ;)

Paul.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2011, 01:55:24 AM »

If you download the document (about 1 Mb), you can zoom into it to see the details with any picture viewer.

Hmm. Not very well thought out and is now, in all honesty, just data overload.  :-X

Could it be that someone is just doing it because they are able to do so?  :-\

To be able to look at all of your data, I had to: (1) download the file (2) cut out each individual graph (3) expand each graph to a suitable size (4) then view.  :(

I know Eagles supposedly have excellent eyesight but that is a bit silly.  :thumbdown:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 01:58:52 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2011, 07:06:03 AM »

To be able to look at all of your data, I had to: (1) download the file (2) cut out each individual graph (3) expand each graph to a suitable size (4) then view.  :(

Really?

Sorry about that.

With my Windows PC with Windows Photo Viewer already installed it was a simple download (opened not saved) & zoom in & out action to see everything in detail usng the wheel mouse.

The point was that I was celebrating & displaying the fact that a BT engineer had actually made a visible improvement to my connection's stability.

Paul.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2011, 02:33:53 AM »

Really?

Really.  :help:

Sorry about that.

No worries. I've forgotten about it already.  :)

The point was that I was celebrating & displaying the fact that a BT engineer had actually made a visible improvement to my connection's stability.

Which is definitely worth celebrating.  :drink:

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2011, 05:29:50 PM »

Right, Here we go folks.

Since the last engineer's visit, my connection has remained quite stable with slight daily fluctuations in SNRM levels (between 4dB & 5dB), & vey few re-syncs.
Indeed it has remained in sync for over 130 hours (roughly 5.5 days) at the last count.
This is pretty much an all time record when looking back over the last few months.

My queries are:-

1) Does the error count (as shown in the attached 8 day graphs) look reasonable, or is it a little on the high side?

2) I see more than a passing resemblance between the shapes of the CRC & HEC error graphs.
Are they usually so closely related (differing values, but similar frequencies)?

3) If the error count IS still actually significant, what sort of things could be causing them, especially as there doesn't really seem to be a relationship to peak internet usage hours (between 16:00 & 0:00 each day)?
e.g. I'm not aware that I used the internet any more on the evening of day 3 than any other evening.

Paul.

[attachment deleted by admin]

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2011, 07:13:02 PM »

I'm not going to attempt to answer your queries (I'll leave it to someone like Jeff  ;D  ) but say that I would expect to see a similar shape in the rate of change graphs of CRC, FEC & HEC counts.

CRC
FEC
HEC

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2011, 09:30:02 PM »

Hi
quote I'm not aware that I used the internet any more on the evening of day 3 than any other evening.

Slight misconception here . Its not just when you are using the internet that the errors occur.Errors will occur   from the time the router  connects to the Internet till the time the router is shut down  .

Depending on the router some errors are reset after a Wan loss but CRCs may  not be reset except by a reboot .

Whilst your router connection is live then whether your PC is connected or not does not change anything . The exchange and your router are still talking to each other . Just that there is no actual data been carried .
Regards Jeff
zen user

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2011, 02:20:06 PM »

Hi All,

I am still a little curious to know whether or not my current & ongoing error count points to some sort of connection problem that is potentially still restricting my speeds to an extent.

As I lay in bed this morning at around 07:30 ish, listening to my FM radio alarm, I heard a few seconds burst of what sounded like static interference.

I have never heard this sound of static interference before (at this house), mainly as I usually arise before the alarm starts, & we don't have any other radios in the house.

I have heard it previously at a different house though.
I was at one time somewhere between a CB-er & a rdio ham (I couldn't be bothered to take the exam).
Exactly the same sort of static interference was so bad at that house (prolonged & extremely regular occurences) that I ended up packing in the radio communications hobby.

I only had a 56K modem at the time so it wasn't really affecting my broadband service at all.

So, of course, I dived out of bed (or dove out, for the benefit of any of our trans-Atlantic readers) just to see what effect, if any, it had on my SNRM & error count levels.

Lo & behold, there was quite a spike in error levels.

The last 24 hours of graphs are shown below (hopefully in a format that can be easily viewed).

As I thought my DS SNRM had been running a little lower than the 6 dB target for a while, I decided to re-sync the modem around 30 minutes or so later.

The result was a hike in SNRM to just over 6 dB, & a very slight increase in DS sync speed, along with a very slight increase in download speed.

Apart from this forced re-sync, my modem has not re-synced since 18th November, & SNRM levels have been pretty consistent, but at around 4 dB to 4.5 dB.

I might just try a full modem reboot later on.

So, for anyone who is in the know regarding error levels, do these errors as shown in the graphs point to an ongoing issue to be concerned about?

From other forums, I have seen other users reporting FTTC errors in their tens, or hundreds, over a period of a few days/weeks. Unlike mine where I am now getting much lowe levels than I was, but still experience a couple of thousand or so CRC errors in one hit.

There doesn't appear to be a definite pattern of increase in errors at 07:30 each day.
My central heating switches on at 6:30 every day & the pump runs continuously.
The street lights don't switch on & off at 7:30.
The fridge switches on & off regularly.
Mrs. Eagle hoovers & does other women's household stuff at differing times.
None of the appear to have much (if any) effect upon SNRM or error level spikes.

FYI, I am now collecting my stats every minute rather than every 2 minutes (can't get any more frequent than that for the time being), but I can now see that the errors always occur as a sudden burst within the one minute, rather than prolonged episodes over the space of a few minutes or so.

Paul.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2011, 10:08:12 PM »

Very interesting.  :-\

Could those bursts of RFI be emanating from within Doris' domain (next door)?

I'm sure you will make good use of the current situation as a means of avoiding all those little tasks that Mrs Eagle has lined up for you. (Re-point the chimney stack. Re-furbish the kitchen and her utility room. Plant a crop of cabbages. Paint the landing. Clean the windows. Etc.)  :lol:

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2011, 10:35:49 PM »

Very interesting.  :-\

Could those bursts of RFI be emanating from within Doris' domain (next door)?

That was a suspicion, but she has been away for the last few days, unless she has programmed her c/heating to come on at a different time while she is away.
She is usually a very early riser (5:00 am or so), & I can't say I have picked up a definitive pattern anywhere, apart from possibly around peak breakfast, evening meal & other types of general public use of electrical equipment times.
It might not actually be having any effect on speed or stability matters anyway, but the error count just looks a bit too high when compared against other users' error counts.

I'm sure you will make good use of the current situation as a means of avoiding all those little tasks that Mrs Eagle has lined up for you. (Re-point the chimney stack. Re-furbish the kitchen and her utility room. Plant a crop of cabbages. Paint the landing. Clean the windows. Etc.)  :lol:

'Fraid not, my time for messing about like this expired some time ago, & the Christmas deadline for getting it all finisg=hed is looming far too quickly.

I'm already very much in the doghouse as it is  :(

EDIT:
I notice the following from one sample at 21:38 this evening:-
16578 DS CRC errors
216 DS FEC errors
5150 DS HEC errors

I have absolutely no idea what could have caused them. Nothing coincided with that specific time in my house, & Doris is still away.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:46:17 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2011, 12:07:53 PM »

Hi jeffbb,

Hi
quote I'm not aware that I used the internet any more on the evening of day 3 than any other evening.

Slight misconception here . Its not just when you are using the internet that the errors occur.Errors will occur   from the time the router  connects to the Internet till the time the router is shut down  .

I believe my latest 4 day stats clearly demonstrate the point you made.

I didn't use the internet much at all yesterday/last night, but just look at the bunch of errors from 18:30 onward last night that continued right up the the connection re-syncing in the early hours of this morning, along with the massive DS CRC error hit (approaching 250,000) while the PC was unattended at 11:58, 10th December.

Can any of you suggest what may have caused the errors, especially the big bunch of them from last night, & more importantly what can I do about them?

Please note the "messiness" from 9th December was a direct result of me swapping modems/rebooting/re-syncing etc. so I have no concerns about that period.

Plusnet don't appear to think my error count has any real effect upon sync speeds etc.

I would suggest that these stats demonstrate that they can have/do have some effect, otherwise, why would the connection have re-synced at 05:42 this morning (while I was still tucked up in bed)?

I note that since the re-sync, my error count is much lower, but so is my sync speed, along with DS SNRM being somehat higher.

DS SNRM actually suddenly peaked at 8.1 dB some 16 minutes after the re-sync.
It is currently running at 6.6 dB, but was typically running at an average of around 4.5 dB prior to this morning's re-sync.

Paul.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2011, 07:17:47 PM »

I'll be brief and say that it is the time of year for flashing Christmas lights.  :-\

Perhaps you should take walks via both potential cable routes to the PCP & Fibre cabinet in H* Lane, noting any visible signs along the way?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

anything