Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Homeplugs  (Read 2948 times)

mywifeshusband

Homeplugs
« on: October 28, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »

I picked up a set of 3 new devolo 85Mbps Homeplugs cheap in a sale the other day intending to use them with a smart TV that I have on order, ready for the digital change over in February, and with an old net cam that has lost its wireless connectivity but still works OK with an Ethernet lead.  Plugged the things in and all seemed to go well at first, but then I lost wireless communication with the web via both my PC and my lap top. Unplugged the Home plugs and back the wireless connection came.
I'm told that this should not happen and that Homeplugs and wireless should not interfere with each other, but nevertheless they seem to in this house. Could it be I wonder that I did use extension leads to plug the things in contary to the advice on the box: or could it be that with FTCC BT Infinity they DO mess up the connection somehow?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Homeplugs
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 04:14:19 PM »

I certainly wouldn't expect them to interfere with WiFi, because the frequencies are miles apart. I can't really think of an explanation, but I think I would start by plugging them in two at a time in different parts of the house, and see if any pattern emerges.
  Eric

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 04:48:59 PM »

If memory serves member nickharris792 posted about a similar (but not quite identical) issue earlier this year. I also recall some other funny issues being reported with homeplugs by others. I use them with no problems at all, but then I'm old fashioned and refuse to use wireless.

Try a forum search on the term "homeplug"

mywifeshusband

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 05:03:56 PM »

Thank you to both of you. Now I know that they should work together I'll do a bit of testing and see if I can't find out where the problem is.

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 05:09:19 PM »

Please describe your set up ie you have one unit a wireless modem/router.

If the above is correct, then the possibility exits that the router is overheating since it has to tackle the modem, routing and wireless side. The general overheating could then be locking up the wifi. if you see what I mean?

question: when you loose wifi connectivity do tethered pcs also loose internet connection?

I use solwise homeplugs (both wired and wireless) with no issues and have never read anything about homeplugs interfering with wifi.

As regards plugging the homeplugs into extensions, problems are more likely to occur if you use a surge protector.

I am tying this on my laptop connected wirelessly via solwise homeplug which is plugged into a extension with no issues at all. Furthermore, the homeplugs have never affected the other wifi networks in my house.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:12:18 PM by risk_reversal »

mywifeshusband

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 07:38:36 PM »

Hello RR
My setup comprises a BT Home Hub 3 together with the Openreach modem necessary for a BT Infinity FTTC Broadband connection. The router stands alone on a book case and the Openreach modem is mounted vertically on the wall as advised by Openreach as it is known to be susceptible to overheating.
Both my PC and my netbook are connected by Wifi to the router.  I have not seen (felt or smelt) any signs of overheating in either device.  I was at the time attempting to connect a Panasonic BL C131 net cam to the HH3 via the Homeplugs and this connection was successfully made, and for a time sustained. 
Distance prevents me using an ethernet cable for the PC but the notebook ethernet connection seemed to drop out at the same time as the Wifi. This needs verification though.
As I said to Roseway I'll do a bit of experimenting to see what triggers the loss of connection. At present I'm running the homeplugs) plugged in and switched on but not connected by the ethernet cables to any peripheral devices. I'm not expecting any problems until I do actually make the wired connection but, I'm taking it a step at a time.
Thanks again   

mywifeshusband

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 09:48:59 AM »

Wash up
OK I've had the Home plugs working OK now for about 36 hours in parallel with a wireless connection to both PC & Netbook without any problems.  Seems to be OK until I try to run the PC from the 3rd homeplug without disabling the wireless connection. The other thing I have done is encrypt the Homeplugs.
The reason I posted this question was a complete failure to get the un encrypted Homplugs to work reliably with Wifi over a 24 hour period early last week. Why then is it apparently OK now? -
  • Coincidence, (Something else was messing up my Wifi at the same time?) 
    Parrallel connection via Homeplug & Wifi (Possibly, but leaving an Ethernet lead connected is not problematic).
    Encryption ( Could a neighbours Homeplugs have caused the disruption?)
Probably I'll never know but thanks anyway for you suggestions

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 10:56:06 AM »

I wouldn't normally have both a wired and a wireless connection to a machine at the same time, because having the same data arrive from two sources with different timings could cause confusion. That's my first choice for a partial explanation.
  Eric