Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

Today's shock resync

(1/8) > >>

renluop:
First here are the final posts by me in another thread

--- Quote from: broadstairs on June 02, 2017, 05:38:33 PM ---Nothing special in  mind. Have you had any other crashes in any other applications? Usually memory problems show up on different applications depending on the order they are started as they may get different memory locations. If I get unexplained crashes I run Memcheck86 which is a stand-alone memory test program bootable from a CD/DVD or memory stick. You dont need to understand anything about any errors if you get them, it should run error free and if not you have a problem in one of the memory cards (if you have more than one, looks like you may only have one). Then it needs replacing, if it runs error free then obviously its not that.

Might be better to take this discussion to a separate thread if it continues....

Stuart

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: renluop on June 02, 2017, 06:52:02 PM ---I wouldn't think it related, but sometimes getting a wireless connection is a !!!!!!!
As you say we'll leave it there on this thread.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: d2d4j on June 02, 2017, 07:46:31 PM ---Hi renluop Your wireless connection is pertinent to this issue and a few others
Using wireless, if there is a break in wifi, it can cause floating point issues etc in dslstats. 

I use wifi, and have seen a floating point issue after wifi had an issue
I have never reported this though, as the only advise I have seen for dslstats, is to use hardwire connection only, no wifi (guess that means wifi not supported due to issues wifi could give, which are not a result of dslstats)
I hope that helps a little
Many thanks
John
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: renluop on June 02, 2017, 10:45:47 PM ---and thereby hangs another problem!
Some say that Billion 8800NL can play up, if there are both an Ethernet cable between router and computer active and also wireless. Wireless connects printer, wife's IPad and bedside radio. I use HomePlugs between router and digbox.
Since getting rid of cable from router tocomputer things seem much better connection wise.

--- End quote ---

Having thought about it, I am not for now going to run MemTest 86, and BTW there is a MemTest 64 too from www.techpowerup.com. I wonder if it is a genuine development of 86, or something questionable.

Doesn't MemTest lock you out from any other activity for considerable time, especially if a number of passes are needed?
==============
d2d4j 's comment led me to reconnect a cable from computer to the router at around 10.30 with sync a little over 6000 kbps. Tweaking SNR down by 1 dB gave and extra 400 kbps. My Network and Internet Settings showed both wired and wireless connections working with neither a red cross of exclamation mark by them.

Until recently I was away from the computer, and I've found that there had been another invalid floating point  incident. This must have been around 12.30, given the flat line of SNR and Connection Speed. Sync had plummeted to 3481 kbps, and only bits up to #117 are active!

As for the network connections, both wired and wireless are working, yet wireless bears that red cross.

I haven't a clue what is gong on, and i'd bet you're in agreement that I haven't a clue! :blush: :)

if you want I will post graphs etc, should you want to deign to carry this furhter.

d2d4j:
Hi renluop

I would personally always advise that you only ever have 1 network connection (either hardwired or wifi)

The pc can get a little confused if not fully and carefully setup for multi networks, more so if on different nodes

It's interesting that you state wifi had Red Cross and a floating point error

I'm sorry if I'm wrong and others may disagree but for 99% of users, it has always been the best advice

Many thanks

John

renluop:
So, given your earlier comment about using only a wired connection for DSLStats, because of wireless producing more invalid floating points, that could mean that DSLStats is becoming less useful, because wireless connections are wanted for frequently used h/ware. That's a shame as it's a very useful app.

Multi networks: you mean my present use of wried and wireless?
different nodes: can you expand on that, please? I'm not sure what nodes.

roseway:
I can't say that I agree with that advice. It depends on how your system is arranged. You're using a modem/router, and if the PC is connected directly to the router, and DSLstats is running on the PC, there's not going to be any conflict with other devices connecting wirelessly to the router.

d2d4j:
Hi

I meant if there are multi network connections (does not matter if hardwired or wifi, mixed or same), you have multiple exit entry points, and could transmit on either

If your not sure what I mean, try setting 2 connections on same gateway (windows immediately gives a warning)

I could be wrong, which I do not mind been wrong and I did say others may disagree, which I do not mind, but I have seen it in action/real life with clients

Many thanks

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version