Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Unlocked HG612 VOIP Issue  (Read 6519 times)

vic0239

• Reg Member
Re: Unlocked HG612 VOIP Issue
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 06:04:21 PM »

Success! It’s working, but I’m not exactly sure what the issue was.

Following John’s theory of DHCP being flakey, I changed the modem to router mode but did not enable the DHCP server. Using static IPs for my computer and the VoIP devices they registered straight away. I could make and receive calls, but the incoming audio was missing. I fixed this by adding the RTP ports to the NAT rules. So far so good.

I then set to configuring a DHCP server on my Synology NAS, but I could not get it to allocate any addresses. Pressured by my other half who wanted to use the Internet, I decided just to enable the DHCP server on the modem and live with the issue for now. However, I was surprised to see that the VoIP devices were still registered and remained so even after a power cycle. They’ve been active now for a couple of hours.

Now before I started today I powered off the modem to rearrange the cables, so I’m guessing that this has cleared some cached information in the modem as it is set up now identically as when it was failing. Anyway, I’ll leave well alone now for a while and keep my fingers crossed that it keeps working. I used to come across these imponderable mysteries from time to time in my 30 odd years working in IT so I should know not to be surprised!  :lol:

Many thanks to all who took the time to give their input.

Cheers .. Andy.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 08:12:43 PM »

Be sure to check for open and non stealth ports (I seem to remember they are only closed not stealth) grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2.

Ian

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 08:26:26 PM »

Hi Andy

Glad you resolved it.

Good point re checking, hopefully andy will post results.

I think the hg using mixture of dhcp and static, cannot add static to tables, but using either fully dhcp with no static or full static, it adds them. Once added, unless expired cache is run, it should work.

The bigger issue I thought off which might have a more major implication, is if the hg needs re powering to clear any holdup or freeze, meaning you may want to wait 30 minutes before powering on.

With hg in bridge mode, and using a seperate router, means you should be able to repower the router without waiting, as I thought the hg holds the connection.

I could be entirely wrong though, so I apologise in advance

Many thanks

John

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 10:39:01 AM »

Hmm. Is this bad?

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2015-02-18 at 10:38:13

Results from scan of ports: 0, 21-23, 25, 79, 80, 110, 113,
                            119, 135, 139, 143, 389, 443, 445,
                            1002, 1024-1030, 1720, 5000

0 Ports Open
   22 Ports Closed
    4 Ports Stealth
---------------------
   26 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be OPEN.

Ports found to be STEALTH were: 21, 22, 23, 80

Other than what is listed above, all ports are CLOSED.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
                   - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                   - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 11:20:38 AM »

https://www.grc.com/su/portstatusinfo.htm

I was unhappy with non-stealth ports (scan all service ports) so changed router.

Ian

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 11:36:42 AM »

The difference between the two is that an ICMP port unreachable is sent where you see 'closed' and nothing is sent back where you see 'stealth'.

If you're able to manipulate the firewall on the device, probably iptables or similar, you'll see a 'reject' rule instead of a 'drop' rule. Changing any rejects to drops will turn closed into stealth.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 12:41:01 PM »

Using the GUI if I change to Block_All then all ports appear in stealth mode, but everything stops working. All the other firewall levels don't appear to change the port status (except Disable). I don't think I am up to manipulating the firewall rules using the command prompt!

Andy.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 09:25:27 AM »

Just to close this off, I have reverted to bridged mode as the WAN connection appeared unstable while in router mode. I’ve connected my old BT Hub 4 behind it and my connection has stabilised. My connection is lower than previously, but I’ll maybe start another thread about than if it doesn’t improve. Running the port scan now all of the ports are in stealth mode other than a couple I have opened so I’m happy about that.

Thanks .. Andy.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything