Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: please help hg612, sky fibre going in circles  (Read 17642 times)

Homer71

please help hg612, sky fibre going in circles
« on: May 19, 2014, 12:08:54 PM »

recently got sky fibre unlimited with a sky hub sr102 and as I was having connection issues and poor wifi reception around the house and reading guide after guide and various forum posts I purchased a openreach huawei hg612 3b and a asus rt-n66u now 'm not usually this stupid but no matter what I do I can't even get the hg612 to connect the pc to the internet using an ethernet cable via lan1 and I believe following guides I've unlocked the hg612 via lan 2 and firmware unlocking update. I've managed to get my username and password with wireshark but that is about it i've asked everyone I know and seemed to have exhausted my resources without asking via a forum so here I am looking for an idiots guide I'm dizzy from going round in circles. from what I understand the hg612 should just really connect to internet without me changing any settings? and this is even before I get to connecting the n66u router which I thought was going to be the tricky bit.
any help greatly appreciated and apologies for my dumbness of not understanding what is more than likely there for me to get connected. 

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: please help hg612, sky fibre going in circles
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 12:26:38 PM »

Hi Homer71 and Welcome to the Kitz Forum.

When the DSL cable is plugged into HG612 are you getting a steady green LED ?

If yes then have you followed the instructions to setup a PPPOE connection
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows-7/

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 12:32:44 PM by NewtronStar »

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 03:16:53 PM »

Sky doesn't use PPPoE to connect. It uses the user ID and password embedded within a DHCP request. That user ID and password can't be used for setting up a PPPoE connection. You'll need to use the "Merlin" firmware on the RT-N66U in order to give the router the connection string as the standard firmware doesn't support it.

I'm running the latest Merlin .42 firmware on my RT-N66U and it's rock solid, and wireless range is better than the standard firmware.

The skyuser forum is very good, and I'd say this post here might be a good place to start as it shows where the connection string needs to be entered. http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/asking-help/54213-how-set-up-asus-rt-n66u-work-sky-fibre-mer.html

Sorry I can't be more help, but one of my friends followed a similar series of posts on skyuser and managed to get his RT-N66U working - it's just not particularly straightforward.

Hope this helps.
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 03:21:15 PM »

This thread might also be useful  ;)

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13549.15

Homer71

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 11:05:05 AM »

Thanks for the replies the green dsl light stays a solid green so I tried looging onto the net via the ethernet cable to the hg612 using the username and password I grabbed from wireshark have I got this all wrong thing I can connect to sky fibre through the hg612 only I get error 651. I can't get my head round it never mind the n66 part of it I just seem to be reading the same posts and getting more confused.
again thanks for replies and I shall soldier on until I crack it.

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 11:32:19 AM »

Thanks for the replies the green dsl light stays a solid green so I tried looging onto the net via the ethernet cable to the hg612 using the username and password I grabbed from wireshark have I got this all wrong thing I can connect to sky fibre through the hg612 only I get error 651. I can't get my head round it never mind the n66 part of it I just seem to be reading the same posts and getting more confused.
again thanks for replies and I shall soldier on until I crack it.

The username and password you extracted via Wireshark will not work with any connection you attempt to create on either the HG612 or from your own computer. The ID and password can only be used when submitted as part of the DHCP request. It's a very proprietary way of authenticating. As a result most routers do not support this. Even the RT-N66U doesn't with the Asus standard firmware. However, it does support it if you use the Merlin firmware. To me it sounds like you've done the hard part by using Wireshark to get the ID and password.

The only way you'll be able to connect to Sky without using their router is to leave the HG612 in its default configuration. If you've made config changes to it I'd recommended factory resetting it. Then flash the Merlin firmware onto the RT-N66U (do a factory reset after flashing the firmware), and then set-up the internet connection on the RT-N66U and use the extracted ID and password in the clientID section of the WAN configuration page. Once that's done you should be on-line.

Sky don't want you using your own router, and they've made it deliberately difficult to do so. It also goes against their T&C's.

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 09:16:42 AM »

The latest Merlin firmware for the RT-N66U can be found here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkfq2a6aebq68//Asuswrt-Merlin#2324w3jh7e4q4

I'd recommend you download the latest version which is: RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.42_0.zip

After flashing the firmware, factory reset the RT-N66U and set-up the Internet connection manually. The WAN connection type you need to select is Automatic IP. The extracted ID and password go into the clientid field.

Homer71

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 05:24:20 PM »

I'm back again. The steady green light I had on the hg612 isn't on at all. The DSL cable that was in the sr102 is in the hg612 with it's default settings no changes made other than it being unlocked and directly plugged into the phone socket in wall this works as the sr102 is working when plugged in.
I have the DSL in hg612 Ethernet cable from lan1 to the internet port on n66 the signal to the n66 to my PC works and I've changed firmware to the latest merlin firmware. Just don't have a clue why and how I've lost the steady green DSL light on the hg612 especially as at the start of all this I had a steady green light.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »

Just don't have a clue why and how I've lost the steady green DSL light on the hg612 especially as at the start of all this I had a steady green light.

Thats is strange ??? when you power up the HG612 Modem the DSL Leds will blink for 6-10 seconds and if all is well it will go to steady green confirming you have established a connection and sync, all I can suggest is that you make sure the DSL connecters on the cable at both ends from FTTC socket to HG612 are not damaged and if you have a spare one around the house please test.

other than it being unlocked and directly plugged into the phone socket in wall this works as the sr102 is working when plugged in.

When you say Phone Socket do you meen the Master Socket NTE5 with a Filterd Faceplate (one socket for a telephone and another one for DSL (BroadBand) ?

DSL cable from the NTE5 Master socket Filterd faceplate(Top socket) go's into HG612 DSL input then LAN1 cable from HG612 connects to the WAN socket on router and Lan2 cable from HG612 connects to any ports on the router to access the stats or Telnet.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 08:36:51 PM by NewtronStar »

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 03:56:05 AM »

Or if you're lazy, like me:

Attach your ECI (or HG) to the wall and it's LAN port next to the power port on your SR102 and... let the magic happen.

Homer71

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 12:46:45 PM »

The phone socket is a master socket nte5 which a BT open reach engineer fitted last weekend as I was having major issues getting connected at certain times of day with the sr102 and since then connection has been stable than was the reason behind the hg612 and n66 purchase.
I've now tried 3 DSL cables 2 of which are brand spankers, from the master socket to the hg612 I then get the flashing LED's then nothing other than the lan1 light and power light stays on.
The cabling is as described DSL cable from the NTE5 Master socket Filterd faceplate(Top socket) go's into HG612 DSL input then LAN1 cable from HG612 connects to the WAN socket of n66.
It's starting to drive me loopy and I and I don't want to keep disconnecting as I believe it shows as a line issue.
Once again thanks for your replies.

Homer71

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 02:06:32 PM »

Back again to further add to my confusion I still have no green dsl light at my home but when I've taken the hg612 to try at my mother's home and plugged it in the dsl light flashes and stays on continually. As we live within 100 meters of each other it's the same exchange the only difference is that I have sky fibre and my mam has standard sky broadband do I need to change any settings on the hg612 to make it compatible with fibre I haven't changed anything apart from unlocking it. At least I now know the modem isn't knackered. Over to you guys and your wealth of knowledge.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 02:38:36 PM »

It might be worth going back to basics on this?

Re-attach the SR102 to the master (to the top/filtered faceplate at first) and unplug everything else, as Sky/BT would recommend. You should at least get synch.

Spanner in the works: I've noticed there is no synch light on the SR102; just an 'internet' light! I assume:

flashing orange = trying to synch
orange = synch and
white = synch with reachability?

If you don't get synch (log into the SR102 and check the logs to see exactly what it's trying to do) I'd remove the front faceplate (which may include the SSFP) and attach the 102 direct to the test socket with a filter...

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 04:46:02 PM »

If you don't get synch (log into the SR102 and check the logs to see exactly what it's trying to do) I'd remove the front faceplate (which may include the SSFP) and attach the 102 direct to the test socket with a filter...

Yes Boost that's a good idea to use the test socket with a filter just encase one of the two metal terminals has broken off in the SSFP DSL socket.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 05:12:10 PM »

I have sky fibre and my mam has standard sky broadband do I need to change any settings on the hg612 to make it compatible with fibre I haven't changed anything apart from unlocking it. At least I now know the modem isn't knackered. Over to you guys and your wealth of knowledge.

Homer71 the HG612 will have ALL selected in the DSL configuration modulation type as this is the default, so if you have ADSL (G.DMT) to VDSL2 it should sync

Pages: [1] 2 3

anything