Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Unwanted Second Web Page Browser Pop Up.  (Read 5111 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Unwanted Second Web Page Browser Pop Up.
« on: July 11, 2011, 12:10:39 PM »

I use FireFox as my main browser and for the last week I keep getting when I first open it up a Second FireFox browser opening up always with a web page call 'webnewsweekly'   I'M NOT PUTTING THE FULL ADDRESS IN-CASE IT INFECTS YOUR COMPUTER as it seems to be a scam  >:D
It's always the same page and looking at the page source it looks like a scam.

Anyone else had this or Knows how to stop it ?.
I have FF pop up blocker ticked .

As I use Linux I'm going to put a related post over there.
see        http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,9572.0.html
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 12:25:34 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
Where Is This FireFox Link Hiding ?.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 12:23:30 PM »

See. http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,9571.0.html

Some where must be a link that's keeps opening the above so I have tried the following

I have deleted the FireFox catch .
I have cleaned out /home/mynane/
I have cleaned out /tmp
I have done this as 'user' and 'root' with 'BleachBit'

Any idea where this link that keeps bringing this second FF web browser up is hiding ?, or do you think it's linked to a webpage I am using ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Unwanted Second Web Page Browser Pop Up.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 12:59:14 PM »

Just a stab in the dark, but you could try entering about:config in the browser and searching that page for the webnewsweekly address. That could just possibly be the source of the problem, although I have no idea how it could have got there.
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 01:05:23 PM »

Teaching my grandmother to suck eggs maybe but have you set Firefox to restore your tabs when you reboot?
Tony

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »

Just a stab in the dark, but you could try entering about:config in the browser and searching that page for the webnewsweekly address. That could just possibly be the source of the problem, although I have no idea how it could have got there.

No not that, I also broke it down eg web, new, news,week, weekly.
Teaching my grandmother to suck eggs maybe but have you set Firefox to restore your tabs when you reboot?
Tony
Yes I do use Tabs (45 at this time) But this is a new browser that comes up with one tab.
Normally the last FF to shut down remembers the Tabs.! not two browsers only one.

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:42:53 AM »

Have you cleaned out your cache and temporary files?

If you PM me the URL I will run it in a sandbox to see what is going on. The site name you give used to have a .com address but appears to be a deleted domain.

tickmike

• Kitizen
Re: Where Is This FireFox Link Hiding ?.
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 12:14:54 PM »

Well today brings not a Scam web news site but an on-line gaming site (very different url ), which I have never used as I do not do gaming.
Now this site was saying it's something to do with 'Facebook' (I do not use Facebook) !, but my wife as an account and she plays what she says are games but no on-line games.

I been on her user account, but she gets no second pop up web browser.

I cannot see anyway her user settings and what she does on her settings affecting my user settings .

Any idea what to do ?.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 12:47:42 PM »

It's probably less confusing to keep this to a single thread, otherwise people will have to dart backwards and forwards to get all the information.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 12:52:52 PM »

Have you tried other browsers, just to confirm that it relates to FF only?

The other thing which occurs is log in as a different user on the machine in question, and see if the problem is still there.
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 01:08:58 PM »

If this phenomenon only affects your account then there must be something in your /home.
Do you have any extensions/plugins installed for you FF?
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 11:00:38 PM »

After shutting the 10 or so Aircraft tracking sites page's and then doing a good system clean I had no further problems.
Thanks for your help.

Edit .. I forgot to say that some of the various web sites that came up, I looked at there 'page source' in FireFox>view>page source, it had some interesting scrips to run the second FF browser in Linux.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:29:47 PM by tickmike »