Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach to trial G.fast in Swansea  (Read 3574 times)

G.DMT

Openreach to trial G.fast in Swansea
« on: May 25, 2015, 02:33:29 PM »

"100 lucky premises to test standard BT says might hit 500Mbps"
 :fingers:
according to Richard Chirgwin over at elRego:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/25/gfast_coming_to_wales/

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Openreach to trial G.fast in Swansea
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 03:12:26 PM »

So thats 100 more possibles in Swansea added to the 4000 able to participate in Huntingdon & Gosforth pilot.

I'm not sure about that headline for 500Mbps just yet though. :-\

Direct from BT about the trials.

Early tests show G.fast is capable of delivering a range of speeds depending on how close the technology is to a customer’s premises. BT expects to offer initial speeds of a few hundred megabits per second to millions of homes and businesses by 2020. Speeds will then increase to around 500Mbps as further industry standards are secured and new kit is developed.

The company recently announced its intention to deploy the technology more widely to deliver speeds of up to 500Mbps within a decade to most of the UK*

---
PS Ive just had a giggle to myself. Some may recall the debates about the various terms Ive had in the past about 'Super doopah' like such terms when it comes to describing broadband speeds..  so just seen this 
FTTC is superfast broadband.  G.FAST is ultra-broadband

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 03:31:16 PM »

Alcatel-Lucent Micro-nodes - G.FAST

7368 ISAM - specs

[youtube]GQwJ73TinOA[/youtube]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 10:00:31 PM »

Really interesting to see the use of Alcatel-Lucent for this. No mention of Huawei as yet...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 10:37:51 AM »

Really interesting to see the use of Alcatel-Lucent for this. No mention of Huawei as yet...

I found a doc the other day which quotes

New Hardware:
Introduction of MA5611 Fibre to the Remote Node DSLAM

Link to Huawei MA5611

The MA5611S is an outdoor integrated device promoted by Huawei. It supports multiple broadband services through copper lines. The MA5611S applies in the FTTB scenario. It can be installed in manholes (long-term water immersion) or corridors, or mounted to an exterior wall or a pole. The MA5611S provides high-bandwidth service experience for home and enterprise users.

../snip/..

The MA5611S applies in all complex FTTB outdoor access scenarios. It supports smooth evolution to 10 GPON or G.fast for high bandwidth access.

-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 04:28:34 PM »

b*cat nods.

I am waiting for the Huawei site to provide some technical information (and photographs) of the MA5611. At present it is a rather elusive entity.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 05:36:36 PM »

I found that mention of the MA5611s on a different post on here (ta!), so was trying to investigate ... it does indeed seem to be an elusive beast.

From a list of Huawei documentation (ie just the titles), and one or two other references
- it looks like it is used in the Swisscom FTTS rollout
- it appears to support vectoring
- it gets listed among DSLAMs that support the use of VoIP terminating in the home gateway
- it is IP waterproof, and can sit in submerged chambers.
- Power can be supplied over copper pairs.

I agree that Huawei probably intend for it to be used for G.fast applications ... but the surprise that I had earlier was that there has been no explicit mention of any particular supplier for these trials, until the mention of Swansea when Alcatel turned up.

I should acknowledge that Huawei have been mentioned in previous trials, and it wouldn't surprise me to see that they'd been used in the trial in Hethersett.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 05:49:31 PM »

I did find this document from Swisscom, detailing some requirements on CPE.
https://www.swisscom.ch/dam/swisscom/en/ws/documents/E_BBCS-Documents/CPE-Requirements-Library-WAN-xDSL-&-Fibre-V1.24.pdf

Page 35 lists the nodes that Swisscom are using, listing details for boards, firmware and versions.

The bottom of the page has a table for the CPE datapumps embedded in Broadcom-based routers. I imagine that table is interesting to some ;)

anything