Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

BT line reconnection

(1/3) > >>

Eagleaye:
Hello All.
I've moved house and going to arrange for BT to reconnect the line and then choose an ISP.
The current line runs from the pole to an external junction box that then splits to three telephone sockets, none of which are in suitable locations for my use.
What I want to know is how to use the opportunity of the reconnection to get the best possible ADSL connection. I'd like to prepare a suitable site for a new master socket for Openreach to use, but is it likely they will use the existing cable run from the pole via the junction box to the new master socket or can I ask for a new cable to by run from the pole directly to the new master without a join. Will a new cable without joins make a significant difference?

Any ideas appreciated.

HPsauce:
Hmmmmm.
Well obviously you're not supposed to touch BT's wiring, but with an external junction who knows who put it there (Sky maybe?) what quality it is and which is the "real" BT master socket?

Time to "blame the builders"?
(who seem to have removed the junction box and all wiring from it into the house......   :angel: )

BritBrat:
Was there a BT line there before?

Is it live? dial 17070 and see if it gives you the number.

If it has never had a BT line maybe you could order a new line and make sure they install all new eqipment and in a location that suits you (but there is a limit), if it has a line all they do is throw a switch at a remote location and may not even come close to your house.

If they just activate the line remove all other extensions and test the line.  Then install your own extension to a location that suits you or try home plugs for adsl location.

Also check samknows for what services are available to you.

roseway:
Is it possible that the external junction box is actually an external NTE? See the item at the bottom of this page: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm

If it is, then the wiring from it to inside your house is your own responsibility, and I would recommend that you disconnect all but one of the cables coming into the house, leaving only the one which goes to where you want your master socket to be (assuming that one of them does this).

Eagleaye:
Nope it's not an external NTE, just a brown, round box attached to the soffit. One of the cables runs to a NTE socket at the back of the house, not a good location for me, the other two to what look like LJU1's, again not in good locations. There must have been a line previously but it's not active now (no tone).
I'll have to have a closer look at the junction box it may well be that the cable from the pole isn't actually connected to it, the house had some refurbishment carried out before I got it so maybe the builders have dislodged some stuff!

I take it that a new cable without any joins would be the best option then, but will it make a significant difference? Is the cable used today any better than what was used a few years back? And how much work will Openreach do to help get the most suitable install for a customer?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version