Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Microsoft explains Windows 8 boot to quell Linux fears  (Read 7635 times)

AdrianH

Microsoft explains Windows 8 boot to quell Linux fears
« on: September 25, 2011, 07:14:21 AM »

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/desktop-os/2011/09/23/microsoft-explains-windows-8-boot-to-quell-linux-fears-40094017/

NEWS

Microsoft has become locked in a dispute over whether the boot process in Windows 8 will block Linux from running on hardware designed for the next version of its flagship platform................. (more)

In it's quest to own the world M$ takes another step closer to total control of your hardware ............... or do they?

Having seen the strides the likes of PCLinuxOS have made over the last 2 years I doubt I would ever bother buying Windows again, the seamless upgarde to new versions via Synaptic make life soooooooo easy. There is now not one single thing I need/want/use that is not available and fully functional out of the box in Linux and it's all free  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Microsoft explains Windows 8 boot to quell Linux fears
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »

I suppose it comes down to the hardware manufacturers really. They could choose to use locked-down BIOSes which would make it impossible to boot anything other than Windows 8, and I expect there will be some who decide to do just that. The only way round this would be to upgrade the BIOS, and this is probably a bit too geeky for most people. But I've no doubt that the inventive Linux people will find ways.

Naturally I'm in full agreement with your last paragraph. :)
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:07:36 AM »

I suppose it comes down to the hardware manufacturers really.
Indeed.

Though if you read some of the uninformed comments on some Forums I've been to, it's all a conspiracy by Microsoft to "kill" Linux.  :baby:

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 07:08:56 PM »

Though if you read some of the uninformed comments on some Forums I've been to, it's all a conspiracy by Microsoft to "kill" Linux.  :baby:

Well it could be looked at like that because if the hardware manufacturer does lock it down to Windows 8 only then that is exactly what they are trying to do. I suspect some manufacturers would be quite happy to do this because it would stop the Linux community from complaining about their lack of driver support for Linux! They'd just say sorry we dont support Linux more frequently than they currently do.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 07:17:39 PM »

Now who was it that said they wouldn't want to belong to a club that would want them as a member......  :lol:

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 07:46:18 AM »

Now who was it that said they wouldn't want to belong to a club that would want them as a member......  :lol:

Marx .....  Groucho not that other one..... :lol:
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

anything