Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: USB print server  (Read 4352 times)

USB print server
« on: October 18, 2007, 05:20:18 PM »

Gratuitous spam again but this is a product that works :

http://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolder/04/42929/index.php

We have one and after the problems* setting it up (we have two subnets here - best not to ask really) I expected the worst.

I was very wrong. It does exactly what it claims and has been running on our network for a month now without any need for intervention. An Epson 830U is on one USB port and an HP2550 (IIRC - cba to go upstairs and check) is on the other. Yes I know the HP is a network printer. Its rubbish on the network though. I run it from our home server (in the garage - a DL145G2 dual Opteron 275 affixed to the wall :) ) over this device and I grudgingly have to admit (I dislike HP printers - or rather all the s/w which they insist installing) it works very well.

Yes it is £90 but its USB2.0 (platform neutral) and runs off the LAN. Put your printer (and future printers) wherever you want - no more USB2.0 cable length problems :)

*I suspect many of these were down to traversing 192.168.0.* and 192.168.10.* nets via the server. Now I know what the thing does it can come into our "trusted" LAN - 192.168.0.* so I'll report back if any setup issues exist. The interface and docs could do with some work but for a v1.0 device (I know I know) its excellent.

Edit - it sets up as the docs say it should when there's only one subnet so twas me complicating things which caused the original problem. Oh and I guess I should point out that its only operating system neutral when you use one machine to run the printer and share via that machine. Otherwise you need to install s/w on each Windows computer but I'd guess most Linux peeps have a box up 24/7 anyway.

Edit 2 - occurs to me that peeps might not see the point? Well if your kids are networked up then the printer can be in their room (saves them saying Dad can I print....) but totally under your control. In short if you can get network cable there, or wireless (you'd need an AP or a bridge) or more likely mains networking then the printer can go where its best.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 05:52:55 PM by rizla »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: USB print server
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 04:15:30 PM »

>> Well if your kids are networked up then the printer can be in their room (saves them saying Dad can I print....) but totally under your control

hmmm that reminds me - I never played with the Print Server on my Buffalo link station.

Eric - did you ever try that - or do any of the extra stuff thats available on it?  atm its basically acting as a back up server and holds all the multi-media stuff.

The idea was I was also going to put all my "working files" on there too and use it as a file server so I could either work from the lappy or the desktop, but I never got around to that and still seem to work off the desktop all the time.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 04:29:46 PM »

I did play with the print server, and I was able to see a connected printer from a PC, but I never did get it to print. I really should have another go, because I can't believe it's that difficult. The Buffalo firmware is a Linux system, so it's a bit embarrassing that I didn't solve this before. :)
  Eric

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 05:40:06 PM »

I had a Linkstation about 3 years ago. I never managed to get a printer working from it. Frankly I don't honestly think Buffalo ever had any intention of making it work. I have two Terastations here (1TB and a 2TB Pro) and I wouldn't believe anything Buffalo say.

The Terastations we have are connected to a Windows "domain"  but despite all that I see on the Buffalo site they simply don't honour domain user settings. Fine for me as I use them as static media storage so I just leave them read-only.

As roseway says it shouldn't be that difficult but as with Draytek routers (they had a USB printer port too) I think other, more pressing issues filled up the firmware.