Broadband Related > Broadband Technology

Co-location of DSLAM or MSAN

(1/1)

MalcT:
Is an ISP or CP compelled to co-locate their equipment e.g. DSLAM or MSAN at the incumbent fixed operator's exchange or can the equipment be placed remotely and interconnected to the exchange/MDF via a transmission system e.g. E1? If possible, does this place any limitation on the bandwidth / speed etc. of the service offered?

I had always assumed that DSLAMs / MSANs have to be co-located in the terminating exchange (or very close by using tie cables) with the ISP or CPs providing the backhaul beyond the DSLAM/MSAN.

If applicable a diagram or case study reference would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any information.

roseway:
As far as I know, the LLU equipment has to be co-located. There's a lot of information here.

--- Quote ---With LLU the copper pair will enter the exchange as normal on to the MDF. However, LLU lines will have their own designated Panel blocks on the MDF which are attached to the HDF via a tie cable containing 100 pairs.
--- End quote ---

waltergmw:
Hi Malc,

Even for sub-loop unbundling the tie cable(s) have to be no longer that 100 m in total.

Kind regards,
Walter

MalcT:
Thanks for replies to date. I had read all of the Kitz site info which seemed to confirm my understanding i.e. DSLAMs or MSANs either have to be co-located in or adjacent to the incumbent's cross-connect frames.

I intend to speak to some vendors next week so will post any relevant information I find for general consumption.

M

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version