Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rewiring the house  (Read 2652 times)

limbo

Rewiring the house
« on: September 22, 2011, 12:58:43 PM »

Hello,

Walter suggested to remove unused extension wiring, as even though the VDSL service is filtered off on the incoming line, having long lengths of wire is not going to help anyone!

So I've been in to the loft and figured out where all of the cabling actually goes to, and I've attached my diagram of what is going on.

I think that the REN booster was injecting a lot of noise on to the line- with it plugged in (but all of the extensions removed), there was quite an audible electric buzz.

Out of interest, can those junction boxes only split one to two pairs?

Am I right in thinking that I don't need to do any crossing of pairs (ie 2 to 2 etc?)

I plan to remove most of the extensions, but I wanted to check that the new diagram is OK- is there anything else I need to beware of? Should I keep the 431A plugs in the system?

Many thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Rewiring the house
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 12:05:50 AM »

Hi Limbo,

Unless you live in Windsor Castle (or similar !  ) I would buy a DECT cordless phone set placing the base station(s) as far away from the modem equipment as you can.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Rewiring the house
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 12:34:40 AM »

Out of interest, can those junction boxes only split one to two pairs?

Am I right in thinking that I don't need to do any crossing of pairs (ie 2 to 2 etc?)

I plan to remove most of the extensions, but I wanted to check that the new diagram is OK- is there anything else I need to beware of? Should I keep the 431A plugs in the system?

Those standard telephony junction boxes can accept a maximum of four cables, two at each end. Each IDC should only have a maximum of two wires inserted into it.

No crossing of wires within a pair are required. It is a one to one relationship. I.e. IDC2 to IDC2 and IDC5 to IDC5.

You can definitely scrap the inline 431A plug and socket. ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:37:41 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything