Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Fed up of BT Target SNR sillyness!  (Read 15997 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Fed up of BT Target SNR sillyness!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 09:27:06 PM »

Sorry chris - your post wasnt there when I started mine.

Re the router - I'd already d/c my speedtouch so you can have a go with that and see if it was yours that had a problem so at least you can have a play about with DMT tool if you want.  Could also try the Voyager 2100 (broadcom) out of interest, which also works with DMT if you wanted, but I know youre loathe to mess too much since how fast the DLM at your exchange seems to move things downwards.

Rizla - The line was stable for many many months syncing at the full 8Mb just hanging on in there - and after just one incident  things have never been the same since.  If there was no BT profiling and he could get back to the bog standard default then it would probably be ok - but the DLM process seems to kick in for the slightest reason and speeds have gradually gone downhill. :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 09:46:01 PM »

Just for information, a MRTG screengrab from my line is on this site (green = downstream margin, blue = upstream margin)

That looks like my SNR margin the first week of being 'maxed'. You can see it jump down at the beginning from about 21dB (when I was on 2Mb), and then see the fun begin - like I say whether it's still like that or not I don't know, I haven't had MRTG running for months.

Kitz - yes I may well try some stuff out, as the state of the line can't be much worse anyway :P
Chris

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 10:13:34 PM »

Ah I see. Welcome to ADSL2+ I'm afraid guys.

I installed a new light in the dining room (the one I've been moving stuff around in kitz). So being a sensible (mainly) chap I go buy a nice 3 lamp fixture. It uses CFLs (low energy bulbs) which don't have their own ballast (the bit that makes them light) which is excellent as you can have 3 x 10W CFLs producing the equivalent of 180W incandescent power and you don't throw away the electronics every time the fluorescent tube dies. Anyway the light has its own ballast.

Turn it on - no gradual brightening. Wait two secs then the CFLs go on at full "brightness". Energy saving to the world* = 120W

ADSL drops. Boost it 1dB by using DMT - sorted. Speed drops by 200kbps or so. Its only going to get worse. Mine is stable now and any changes are generally down to me. In six months? I wonder, I really do...

*yeah and like anyone believes that

PPS - I thought for one sec that the MRTG graph was a SNR graph.... :D

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 10:22:24 PM »

> PPS - I thought for one sec that the MRTG graph was a SNR graph....

I know... a bit weird looking isn't it. Like I say will leave it on from now on and see what it shows up over the next day or wo. The flat downstairs has had a change of occupancy recently, so if luck was on my side it woulda been some dodgy item of equipment the old downstairs neighbours had, and haven't got anymore!

But I doubt that'll be the case, somehow ;)
Chris

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 10:30:59 PM »

Do remember that you're going to get twice the frequency range (bandwidth) on ADSL2+ so you pick up more random electrical noise but you have a hell of a lot more bins to "choose from". In general (for now) the swings exceed the roundabouts - ie LLU  (ADSL2+) goes faster.

I really do miss the DMT Tool and the ST780WL. I can see noise in near real-time there (5 secs or so delay). Must find time in half-term to "re-educate" the BeBox :)

Get off IPstream Chris. You know what I think, but I'd advise asking Mark Taylor (TBB) about things if you already haven't. He thought LONG and hard about moving to them and seems happy.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 10:33:32 PM by rizla »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 10:33:08 PM »

Do remember that you're going to get twice the frequency range (bandwidth) on ADSL2+ so you pick up more random electrical noise but you have a hell of a lot more bins to "choose from". In general (for now) the swings exceed the roundabouts - ie LLU  (ADSL2+) goes faster.

Quite, which is why I'm prepared to give it a go. But why I'm loath to commit for 12 months :(

I really do miss the DMT Tool and the ST780WL. I can see noise in near real-time there (5 secs or so delay). Must find time in half-term to "re-educate" the BeBox :)

You sure you don't work for the plusnet comms team? I hear Mand is good at re-educating agents with her baseball bat :lol: (hi mand if you're reading! :D )
Chris

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 10:45:40 PM »

Missing each other's edits again (probably all mine). Read back.

Never met or spoke to Mand. Pretty sure I spoke to James at the point I found out Plusnet bought Metronet. Pretty sure we don't need that discussion again as I gave him some stick based on my prior (1998 or so) experiences of what Plusnet did with email addresses. I think perhaps he'd agree with me now but Plusnet chose the "lets not get obviously sued" route then  ;)

OK if I was you I'd go Be. I personally wouldn't but from your replies you are quite rightly getting advice from multiple sources. Get tracerts from kitz for those lines. It's not latency we are looking at but where they go. REALLY don't underestimate Level3 as once your traffic is in their system then the longer it stays there the more they earn. Going transatlantic for news.bbc.co.uk is normal.

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 03:47:59 AM »

Chris is on the neighbouring exchange to me - they got as far as his exchange, here was due to be the following month - but they pulled out re the take-over. 
Don't i know it. I saw it on Sam Knows and was waiting for it to happen and then all of a sudden BEtheres bank account lost the will to live  :D.

Quote from: kitz
Sky seems ok - but most of the people round here seem to go for the 8Mb package with TV rather than pay extra for the 16Mb so no indication on that re the higher speeds either.
I applied for the 16MB one for my sister(last line still to move of Plus Net of 5) and they said that the exchange was not enabled so i stated that it was and gave them the "LCFLW" code and the man said, "Oh... Sorry sir the system is now showing that there are no more places left on our equipment. The only option you have is the full priced 8MB product". So... Still stuck with a legacy PN product that i get limited on for watching a Youtube video <definition of a joke>. I get told that 2GB is excessive usage but that another story LOL.

EDIT: I am currently uploading at least 2GB day on my home MLPPP line :lol: . As for downloads, about 80 GB a month and my ISP does not even bat an eyelid  ;D. (currently seeding ubuntu 7.10 and CentOS while i am away so the upload will probably be alot lot lot more  ::))

Chris this may help you with BE and O2
http://www.dontbethere.co.uk/forum/default.aspx - this was where i learned that you can only usually get 10000kbps from speedtest.net(london) :o

There was a massive agument on the Draytek forums about why Bethere use "non standard equipment" that goes against references. This could mean that some modems don't get the full potential(or even a connection) out of the line.

James
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 04:01:35 AM by jabns »

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 08:41:20 AM »

There was a massive agument on the Draytek forums about why Bethere use "non standard equipment" that goes against references.

I find that very ironic. I've had a Draytek you see - never ever ever again ;) Edit - Zen use IP unnumbered when you take a block of IP addresses from them. Draytek routers were badly broken regarding this and Draytek tried to put the blame on Zen for doing "non-standard" addressing. I pointed out rather forcefully that they didn't have the first clue what they were talking about. They fixed the problem three weeks later but apparently people had been having problems with this for months if not years.

Be's implementation does not "go against references". They use options on their DSLAMs that are part of G992.5 Annex A and Annex M. I fully agree that many modem/routers don't like those options but that isn't Be's fault.

I've had speedtests well above 10Mbps on speedtest.net (heh I once got 42.5Mbps :D ) but IMHO you won't get reliable speed tests anywhere above 10Mbps. Well 10 threads on usenet is about the most reliable indicator of current conditions to me. Numion is usually pretty reliable for me as well.

The site you quoted is ircsome's. I sort of assumed (again - bad rizla) that Chris knew where it was as kitz has it linked on her main site.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 09:04:29 AM by rizla »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 11:19:15 AM »

>> they said that the exchange was not enabled so i stated that it was and gave them the "LCFLW" code and the man said, "Oh... Sorry sir the system is now showing that there are no more places left on our equipment.

Something I mentioned the other day in another thread, that sky is showing as having no more available ports at this exchange and would only put you on IPStream and the associated cost.  But strangely UKO is (or at  least was last week) and would have taken an order.  Hence the discussion that perhaps UKO had their own x no of allocated ports on the sky dslam.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2007, 06:08:37 PM »

Yep I'd seen that site thanks....

But contrary to advice, I've gone and done it. Signed up with Be today! I wanted to dip my toe into the LLU market... but 12 months with UKO is just too long to commit for in my book.

So we'll see how it goes :)

Cheers rizla in particular for all the input into this thread, I have definitely listened to and taken in what you've been saying.

Here's hoping it's a good connection ;D
Chris

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 06:25:14 PM »

Hope it all goes well. Hopefully you don't have to deal with Brett & Louise.

On that subject I'm off back to the Be member centre again as they've messed up the final payments on my account.

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2007, 03:54:16 PM »

Will you be using wireless on the BeBox Chris? If so I assume you know about running it upside down to get rid of the heat?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 01:52:15 AM »

I didn't know actually and thanks for telling me :)
Chris

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 08:20:30 AM »

Someone (I think it's on ircsome's forums?) modded the BeBox by attaching a northbridge fan to the outside of it. The clever bit is that they powered the fan from a phone socket - one of the VoIP sockets on the back - which I thought was rather inventive :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything