Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Serif PhotoPlus X4  (Read 7953 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Serif PhotoPlus X4
« on: September 21, 2011, 07:48:42 AM »

I have just been looking at Serif PhotoPlus X4,which is being offered for £9.99 due to the fact that the new X5 version has been released

Looks good for the money.....any thoughts?

http://www.serif.com/photoplus/phpx4.asp?mc=SERPPCPHP1&gclid=CMzA2-berasCFYMKfAod2S8lKQ

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Serif PhotoPlus X4
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 08:45:14 AM »

I've never used a Serif product, so cannot speak from experience.

The program is directed as a competitor to Photoshop Elements and has all the tools that you will need.......and more......to do just about anything to an image.

Reviews are good......such as this one...http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/1279642/serif-photoplus-x4

At that price you cannot go wrong, and you would be getting a prog. worth many times that amount.
I would think that it will present quite a steep learning curve.......but that is part of the fun.

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 10:00:41 AM »

I tried a Serif photo editing programme a few years ago, this too was £9.99 I phoned to order it and the sales girl tried to persuade me the buy the 'later' version for £30.00!
I settled for the cheaper one but found it quite difficult to use compared with Corel Paintshop.  I now use Paintshop Pro X.

Peter

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 10:21:36 AM »

Unc there are several Serif products free   ....   Serif Photo plus, Serif Draw Plus, Serif Page Plus.  I've used them for various things in the past  ...   it might be worth giving them a whirl just to try, before buying the Photo Plus 4   ...... :)

http://surl.me/s3kt

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 10:25:10 AM »

Thanks everyone  :)

@ Kate,yes I did see there is actually a free trial,which I think I might try.

Being a Yorkshireman the X4 does look at bargain for £9.95  ;D

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 10:28:51 AM »

:D     ......    long pockets and short arms  ?  >:D

Unc  ...The free programmes they offer are permanent, (just much earlier versions I think)   I still  have them installed and every now and again I find at least one of them useful.  I was even able to help Peter on a 'techy' topic   :o :o :D by recommending one of these Serif freebies....  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 10:32:54 AM »

Short arms,deep pockets.....whatever gave you that idea  :D

One of the main things I want to be able to do is easily remove unwanted objects from photos.Many times when you take a photo after getting it up on the computer monitor you think...how did that get there  ;D

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:48:06 AM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 10:59:54 AM »

The main tool for removing unwanted bits is the clone tool or clone stamp........all these progs. have that.

The free Serif products do tend to be very old versions and are not as comprehensive as the one you are looking at.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 11:10:49 AM »

The main tool for removing unwanted bits is the clone tool or clone stamp........all these progs. have that.

The free Serif products do tend to be very old versions and are not as comprehensive as the one you are looking at.

Thanks TD  :)

I have just looked on their website and The download version is £9.99 with an optional £4.99  for download protection service,(in case anything happens to your computer you can re download it)

The other method is to order the CD version which is the same price + £3.95 for P&P.

Is it better to actually have the CD,or just download it and bother/not bother with the download protection service?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 11:30:45 AM »

I suppose a CD is more permanent than a download, but you could always back up a download by copying it to a CD. It just depends on how much faith you have in your system and internet connection. I would save the £4.99 and just download it without the protection, then kick the computer if it failed during the download. :)
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 11:47:38 AM »

Another free option is Irfanview which I use sometimes in place of Paint Shop Pro. Like all these editing programs it takes a little while to become familiar but it will selectively remove bits from photos with no trouble.
Tony