Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Powerline adapters: so many to choose from  (Read 4420 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Powerline adapters: so many to choose from
« on: September 21, 2011, 07:34:53 AM »

Are there makes that are reckoned to be superior, and, perhaps more important still, those to be avoided.

Name and praise, name and shame! Please :)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: Powerline adapters: so many to choose from
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 08:07:10 AM »

Choices, choices ?
After owning a couple or three of these devices, I would say the best I have are the Devlo make. They are the least intrusive. They all take up one electrical socket, exclusively. The Develo are the smallest and have the Ethernet socket at the base, this means the socket at either side on an extension can be used. I also have a pair of Netgear which have worked flawlessly for a couple of years now. The three of the devices are on the same network.
The ones to avoid are Advent, or any that get hot when in use. They all get warm, but the Advent get hot, this is due to cheap capacitors used in them. I dare say there is quite a few more that suffer from the same cheap components. They are also quite large and block any sockets either side of the one being used.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:20:15 AM »

I would second SS44's recommendation for Devolo. One thing to be aware of with this type of device is that you need to set them up to use encryption, otherwise there's a possibility of a neighbour tapping into your network. Some cheap makes rely on Windows software running on PCs to maintain the security. With the better brands, the encryption details are stored in the device.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 09:14:51 AM »

Thanks, and sorry for delayed reply: I was out looking for replacement chair for my office/den.

Devolo seem a bit on the pricey side. Second to them what are good? :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 10:18:46 AM »

I think Netgear are quite good, but hardly any cheaper. I would certainly avoid suppliers' own brand products like Advent from PC World. Faster ones are more expensive, so you might think about what speed you actually need; I would say that 85 Mbps is easily fast enough for all normal purposes. How about this: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/devolo-1383-dlan-highspeed-ii-starter-kit-00939029-pdt.html
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »

I go along with Roseway here. The kit looks promising. By the way to buy a single plug in device costs more than buying two in a kit.
Buying the cheaper ones runs the very real risk of costing more money when one fails, as surely one will. There is plenty of instances if one Googles for the problem of 'powerline doesn't work' or 'powerline dead'.
Best of Luck.

And stop spinning round on that chair. ???
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.