Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ring-wire removal and NTE5 faceplate  (Read 8634 times)

adam25185

Ring-wire removal and NTE5 faceplate
« on: September 20, 2011, 11:49:35 PM »

My ADSL tends to disconnect (for about 30 seconds) quite often (3 times a week, while I'm using it).

I've taken the step of ordering a new Netgear DG834G, as recommended on the "low SNR" page on this site:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

I was wondering if removing the ring-wire and fitting an NTE5 faceplace instead of my (branded) Belkin filter would have any further effect on my chances of maintaining a connection?

I understand that these can help from the page, however I have only a single phone socket and one telephone.

In this case, there is no need for a multitude of microfilters (NTE5 faceplate has no benefit) and also the ring wire never leaves the (single) socket?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Ring-wire removal and NTE5 faceplate
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 04:02:30 AM »

Hello Adam and welcome to the Kitz fora.

If you only have one socket and it is an NTE5/A (illustrated at the top of the page), then there will be no "ring wire" for you to disconnect. You should, however, still have a filter in situ though which the solitary telephone and modem/router should be connected.

The first thing to try is a different micro-filter, as they are known to become defective at the most inopportune moments.

If you would prefer to have the tidiness of a replacement front-plate filter on your NTE5/A, I would recommend you consider the passive type that is made by Pressac for OpenReach and is also available to the public via retailers such as Clarity, Run-IT-Direct or Solwise
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

adam25185

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »

At the moment my internet disconnects every time I receive a phone call and at least 3 times a week at random while I'm using it.

My current modem (Belkin Wireless-N) came with a filter, which I have already replaced with a more expensive, high quality, Belkin filter (which cost about £5).

This resulted in roughly the same number of disconnections, but also a crackling noise over the telephone when making calls.

The new (second hand) modem (Netgear DG834G) has come with another Belkin filter (believe it or not exactly the same as the replacement filter I bought above). I can now try the new filter.

However, in case this doesn't work, can you recommend a model of filter which is of high quality?

Is it likely even the more expensive Belkin filter is, in fact, the problem?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 01:08:22 PM »

At the moment my internet disconnects every time I receive a phone call . . .
<snip>
. . . also a crackling noise over the telephone when making calls.

Ah, if only you had mentioned those important symptoms in your initial post. ::)

Reading the above, it now seems as if you have a defective joint in your pair somewhere between you and the exchange. The first thing to check is via a quiet line test. Unplug the router, phone and filter. Unscrew the two screws on the front of the NTE5/A and remove the lower front half of the face plate. Now plug the phone directly into the test socket so exposed.Call 17070, select option 2 from the menu and listen. There should be absolutely no noise -- no crackles, no hum, no pops, plops or hisses. The only thing you should be able to say is that the circuit is electrically live. To be 100% sure, you should test with a different wired phone plugged into the test socket. (Perhaps you could borrow one from a neighbour?)

If you notice any noise, report a voice line fault to who ever you pay for your telephone service. Do not, under any circumstances, make any mention of broadband as that will confuse the issue. In most cases, once the voice line fault is resolved the broadband problem is also cleared.

adam25185

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 01:35:42 PM »

Actually it might be more interesting than that since the cracking only appears with the new filter, I think. If I use the cheap filter which came with the first modem the crackling disappears but the disconnections remain.

Furthermore, without the modem connected there is no crackling.

I believe all the above is correct, I will check when I get home.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 04:16:03 PM »

Hi
quote:I was wondering if removing the ring-wire and fitting an NTE5 faceplace instead of my (branded) Belkin filter would have any further effect on my chances of maintaining a connection?
From this am I correct
 in thinking you have NOT got an NTE5 socket ?
quote:Furthermore, without the modem connected there is no crackling.
do you get the crackling with both Modems ?

Regards Jeff
zen user

adam25185

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »

I do have an NTE5 socket. Should I try getting a faceplate or are microfilters just the same thing, given that I only have one socket?

I haven't yet tested the new modem (Netgear DG834G), which I will do when I return to the house at the weekend.

The Netgear modem also came with the same Belkin filter that I previously bought. I will test the new filter also. Is there a chance that these Belkin filters are no good? What is the best filter I can buy?

Will be able to carry out quiet line test etc when I get back.

Thanks again for all your help.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 06:41:28 PM »

Ah, a slight confusion of terms then. Every NTE5 has a faceplate; what you might like to get is a filtered faceplate. If you've got no extensions there's no technical difference between a plug-in filter and a filtered faceplate, but the filtered faceplate is neater. If you have extensions, or you want to add them, then a filtered faceplate is a definite advantage.

If you want to stay with plug-in filters then I have to say that I'm not generally impressed with Belkin in this area, and the fact that the expensive one behaves differently from the cheap one is a bit suspicious. I would get a new one from a known good source, such as this one. The common Excelsus filters have a good reputation, and the BT branded ones which they supply with their routers are good quality.
  Eric

adam25185

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 08:25:59 PM »

I went with the XF-1e Microfilter in the link. I will get back onto the forum if I still have problems after new modem and filter.

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 09:19:52 AM »

I would still be suspicious of your line if it's dropping sync when you get a phonecall...that implies, as stated above, you've got a line issue regardless of how good/bad your filters and router are :(
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 07:25:59 PM »

I would still be suspicious of your line if it's dropping sync when you get a phonecall...that implies, as stated above, you've got a line issue regardless of how good/bad your filters and router are :(

Absolutely, GJ. Once we are sure that the OP's side of the NTE5/A is beyond questioning, then it will be time to put pressure on the CP / ISP to involve OR.

adam25185

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 09:52:26 PM »

Who do I ring if I still have a problem? BT or the Demon (the ISP)?

Who are the CP?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 11:56:06 PM »

Hi Adam,

If you wan to discuss a broadband fault you must do so with your Communications Provider (CP) = Demon.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 12:24:50 AM »

Who do I ring if I still have a problem? BT or the Demon (the ISP)?

Who are the CP?

Two questions, Adam:

(1) Who do you pay for your telephony service?
(2) Who do you pay for your broadband service?

If your answers are BT and Demon, respectively, then you should contact BT with regards to any telephony fault (but do not, under any circumstances, mention broadband -- you will just get nonsense from BT India) and Demon for any broadband fault.

adam25185

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 05:02:24 PM »

I installed the new filter from ADSL Nation. The line is now quiet and so far no interruptions when I make or receive a phone call.

Thanks for your help all - fingers crossed problem is resolved.
Pages: [1] 2