Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Improving traffic management transparency: Ofcom sets out steps for ISPs to take  (Read 2273 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Links to three Ofcom pages --

One, Two and Three.

From the third, it appears that we are being consulted.  ::)

[TD or Eric -- Please re-home this post if I have chosen the wrong location for it.  :)  ]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

Thanks for those, b*cat. Interesting, though rather heavy going... ::)
  Eric

GunJack

• Reg Member

Once again, the call to make ISPs give average speed figures  :no:

What a waste of time......surely give them a more-accurate-than-currentBT Datatbase estimate of their line, not some totaLLY meaningless average.... ADSL speeds still depend mainly on line attenuation/length, so what's the point of giving an "average" ??  average of what, exactly  :'(
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

waltergmw

• Kitizen

Hi GunJack,

Experience in Ewhurst suggests line quality, i.e. the amount of line noise on unscreened twisted pairs, also makes a significant difference.

kind regards,
Walter

GunJack

• Reg Member

Ey up Walter,

totally agree with you on the noise issue (we've hit xmas light time now, so the bl00dy noise they can generate has dinted my bitloading slightly  >:( ).

I just don't see the point of saying to someone "the average speed of people on exchange XXXX is Y Mb/s" to someone who is either on a 25dB or 65dB line, 'coz they are going to be so wildly far away from that average figure to make it meaningless. If the BT db was more accurate, it would help (non-techie) people to manage their expectations better. How many times have we heard people complain that "I'm on a 24Meg service, why do I only get 6Meg?", but when you see the line stats they're getting bob-on for their line ???

e.g. the BT line checker for me estimates 3-3.5Meg, but with a "normal" 6dB snrm I sync at just over 6Meg on ADSL2+ 50dB line...... But at my normal tweak to 2.5-3dB I sync at just over 7Meg. This leaves the BT estimate at around 100% inaccurate, surely a situation that shouldn't be allowed to continue (agin, IMHO).
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

anything