Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 8 Preview available  (Read 8384 times)

AdrianH

Windows 8 Preview available
« on: September 14, 2011, 05:25:37 AM »

For those nof you not of a nervous dispostion Windows 8 Preview is available for download here >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/

This CANNOT be uninstalled so system image/backups etc will be required and the software may crash and burn at any time  :D :D

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Windows 8 Preview available
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:43:49 AM »

Does this need an MSDN subscription to supply an installation key?

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 11:02:03 AM »

Does this need an MSDN subscription to supply an installation key?

Doesn't appear so.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392935,00.asp

How to Get the Windows 8 Developer Preview

Microsoft released a preview of Windows 8 to developers this evening, just hours after the software giant showed off the finer details of the operating system today at the Microsoft BUILD conference. The next version of Windows, which completely revamps the operating system to be compatible with both touchscreen devices like tablets and traditional PCs, is now available to anyone who wants it.

To get the Windows 8 developer preview, just head on to Microsoft's developer site and download it. You'll just need a PC with a 1GHz or faster processor (either 32- or 64-bit), 1GB of RAM (2GB for 64-bit), 16GB of hard disk space (20GB for 64-bit), DirectX 9 graphics with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver. Of course, if you want to play with Windows 8's touch abilities, you'll need a screen that supports multi-touch.......... (morer)

and at the bottom of the download page ..........

..............   Are you an MSDN Subscriber?
Go to the MSDN subscriber page to see additional developer preview downloads available.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 11:19:15 AM »

Thanks, downloading now will have a play later.  ;)

I'm going to start with the 32-bit version on a "relatively" low-end system  (3GHz P4-HT) that currently has dual-boot Vista and XP.
I've got a spare 80GB IDE drive that will test the low-performance credentials.  :lol:

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:04:03 PM »

Have got the 32bit version running as a VirtualBox guest, but so far without any networking. It's presently slowly "Searching for devices" from the Control Panel whilst I look and see what hardware it thinks is installed.
It gags on VMWare Player however - installation starts and then stops with a HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE or similar.
Cheers,
Peter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:39:11 PM »

I've got the 32-bit version running OK on what is now a triple-boot/dual-HDD Pentium 4 - XP-home/VistaBusiness32/8x32.

It's very strange and the new "Start" tiled layout looks very much like a bolt-on.
Even stranger I haven't found any way to "properly" configure the Start icons. All I can do is move them around and switch between small (1 tile) and large (2-tile) sizes. Can't even find out how to add programs to the existing very eclectic collection.

And the horizontal scrolling is right royal PITA if (like me) you don't have a touch screen.

If you go to the old-style desktop there's almost nothing there, not even a Programs group on the Start menu (if you can make it appear - it randomly takes you back to the Start tiles following some logic I haven't yet fathomed!)

Now going to try the 64-bit version on what will be a triple-boot/triple-HDD system - XP-home/Vista64Ultimate/8x64.

OK, I accept it's pre-Beta so there will be a lot of holes, but parts of it seem fairly complete.
Definitely smells of Windows 7 with a quick makeover though.  :lol:

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 09:23:41 PM »

Horizontal scrolling  of tiles - mouse wheel works.

Start menu appears if you move the mouse into the bottom left corner. Right into the corner, not just over the icon (if visible).  ???

64-bit version installed VERY quickly. And is fast to boot as well.

Both versions want fairly new video cards. Neither of mine, which work fine on Vista, are recognised separately so it uses a "basic" standard driver.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 07:50:22 PM »

I guess this is the same as OP.

The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment. The features and functionality in the prerelease software may not appear in the final version. Some product features and functionality may require advanced or additional hardware, or installation of other software.

Windows Developer Preview downloads