Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: XP Install ?  (Read 6568 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
XP Install ?
« on: September 13, 2011, 01:45:30 AM »

I,m trying to help someone to re-install XP.
He installed a new hard drive and wants to re-install XP but all he has is a copied DVD disc (he said it was from his disc which was getting scratched ) ;) he said he copied it with 'Nero' and burnt a bootable image disc.
But all it does is boots to A:\   autorun will not work.
You can get to the DVD drive D:\
I can see the folder WXPVOL_EN but trying to run 'SETUP' or setup.exe you just get an error.
On another XP computer I have run the 'SETUP' file within 'explorer' and it runs ok.

Any idea's please, using Linux I'm a bit rusty on windows stuff. :(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: XP Install ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 07:53:15 AM »

It sounds like a bad copy to me.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:10:34 AM »

What make of PC is it?

all he has is a copied DVD disc
he said he copied it with 'Nero' and burnt a bootable image disc.
Does not compute........ :-X

An XP disc will be a CD not a DVD.
A straightforward physical copy of an XP bootable CD will still be bootable.
Using Nero to make a bootable disc will cause confusion, in fact I'm not sure what process this refers to exactly, e.g. an ISO image?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:14:32 AM by HPsauce »

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »

It sounds like a bad copy to me.

Yes .
It a chap near where my wife works and he's taken it to her to bring to me, so I have his disc and I have been trying it on a spare machine.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 12:27:33 PM »

What make of PC is it?

all he has is a copied DVD disc
he said he copied it with 'Nero' and burnt a bootable image disc.
Does not compute........ :-X

An XP disc will be a CD not a DVD.
A straightforward physical copy of an XP bootable CD will still be bootable.
Using Nero to make a bootable disc will cause confusion, in fact I'm not sure what process this refers to exactly, e.g. an ISO image?

He said he's got the disc that came with it but it's very scratched so he made the copy on a DVD disc because that's all he had.

I have not seen his computer as I have been trying to help him get his (second) old computer working again via emails, He said "it's 32bit with 512mb of ram with the operating system on a single 160gb HD the motherboard is a :MS-6524 VER: 1 , xp and thinks it's about 6 years old.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 12:49:57 PM »

OK, so not a "big brand". He probably will need the original/proper CD then or a "good" copy.

With many major brands you need an OEM CD, but the good news is that they're all the same so you just borrow one from someone with the same brand/vintage and use or copy it.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 01:54:58 PM »

OK, so not a "big brand". He probably will need the original/proper CD then or a "good" copy.

With many major brands you need an OEM CD, but the good news is that they're all the same so you just borrow one from someone with the same brand/vintage and use or copy it.

Will his 'key' work with another disc ?. (do keys go with just one disc ?).

or should I try to re-burn this disc ?.

As I said it boots to a 'A' promt and using 'Dos' command change to CD rom drive=D:\    (that's like you did with a boot floppy !).
  But it will not change to the next folder 'WXPVOL_EN' where all the files and folders are.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 02:12:48 PM »

Keys go with a disk "type" (and there are a fair few) and the key is unique to the PC and should be on a label on the system unit.
(if it isn't walk away....)

I'd try to copy the original CD to a new CD at the lowest speed available.

What happens if you try to boot from the original CD? You often need to make BIOS changes to allow that AND press a key when asked if you want to boot from CD.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 04:18:42 PM »

1. Will his 'key' work with another disc ?.

2. (do keys go with just one disc ?).

3. or should I try to re-burn this disc ?.
1. No, the serial number may not necessarily work with just any other disc just because it is the same "Home or Pro" version.

2. Yes sort of. The disc "Build" version will require a serial number created with the same build number disc.
    I have a pile of XP disc's, (both Home and Pro) with various build numbers and not one of them will recognise my genuine serial number.
    But you never know, you may just be lucky. (do keys go with just one disc ?)

3. Yes, try re-burning with Nero or whatever use but this time use the option to "Create a Bootable Disc" (CD-Rom (boot)

As a temporary measure, if he still has the original HDD with XP installed, I would re-connect that as the C: drive, then do a Ghost Image (backup files) of the drive/partition, at least that way if all else fails he will be back to where he started and he can Re-Ghost the image file to the new HDD.

ClickSSL

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 07:19:39 AM »

Step #1: Plan your installation

When you run the Windows XP Professional Setup program, you must provide information about how to install and configure the operating system. Thorough planning can make your installation of Windows XP Professional more efficient by helping you to avoid potential problems during installation. An understanding of the configuration options will also help to ensure that you have properly configured your system.

I won't go into that part right now but here are some of the most important things you should take into consideration when planning for your XP installation:

Check System Requirements
Check Hardware and Software Compatibility
Determine Disk Partitioning Options
Choose the Appropriate File System: FAT, FAT32, NTFS
Decide on a Workgroup or Domain Installation
Complete a Pre-Installation Checklist
After you made sure you can go on, start the installation process.

Step #2: Beginning the installation process

You can install Windows XP in several methods - all are valid and good, it all depends upon your needs and your limitations.

Manual installations usually come in 3 flavors:
Boot from CD - No existing partition is required.
Boot from the 6 Setup Boot Disks, then insert the CD - No existing partition is required (see the Create Setup Boot Disks for Windows XP page).
Boot from an MS-DOS startup floppy, go to the command prompt, create a 4GB FAT32 partition with FDISK, reboot, format the C partition you've created, then go to the CD drive, go into the I386 folder, and run the WINNT.EXE command.
Run an already installed OS, such as Windows NT 4.0 Server. From within NT 4.0 go to the I386 folder in the W2K installation CD and run the WINNT32.EXE command.
If you want to upgrade a desktop OS such as Windows 98 into Windows 2000 Professional you can follow the same procedure as above (You cannot upgrade Windows 98 into W2K Server).
There are other non-manual installation methods, such as using an unattended file along with a uniqueness database file, using Sysprep, using RIS or even running unattended installations from within the CD itself, but we won't go into that right now.

It doesn't matter how you run the setup process, but the moment it runs - all setup methods look alike.

Step #3: The text-based portion of the Setup program

The setup process begins loading a blue-looking text screen (not GUI). In that phase you will be asked to accept the EULA and choose a partition on which to install XP, and if that partition is new, you'll be asked to format it by using either FAT, FAT32 or NTFS.

Start the computer from the CD.

You can press F6 if you need to install additional SCSI adapters or other mass-storage devices. If you do you will be asked to supply a floppy disk with the drivers and you CANNOT browse it (or a CD for that matter). Make sure you have one handy.

If you want, you can press F2 to run the ASR sequence. For that you need a good backup created by the Windows XP backup program, and the ASR floppy disk. If you plan to install a new copy of XP - don't do anything.

Setup will load all the needed files and drivers.

Select To Setup Windows XP Professional Now. If you want, and if you have a previous installation of XP, you can try to fix it by pressing R. If not, just press ENTER.

Read and accept the licensing agreement and press F8 if you accept it.

Select or create the partition on which you will install Windows XP Professional. Depending upon your existing disk configuration choose one of the following:
If the hard disk is unpartitioned, you can create and size the partition on which you will install Windows XP Professional.

If the hard disk is already partitioned, but has enough unpartitioned disk space, you can create an additional partition in the unpartitioned space.
If the hard disk already has a partition that is large enough, you can install Windows XP Professional on that partition. If the partition has an existing operating system, you will overwrite that operating system if you accept the default installation path. However, files other than the operating system files, such as program files and data files, will not be overwritten.
If the hard disk has an existing partition, you can delete it to create more unpartitioned space for the new partition. Deleting an existing partition erases all data on that partition.
If you select a new partition during Setup, create and size only the partition on which you will install Windows XP Professional. After installation, use Disk Management to partition the remaining space on the hard disk.

Select a file system for the installation partition. After you create the partition on which you will install Windows XP Professional, you can use Setup to select the file system with which to format the partition. Windows XP Professional supports the NTFS file system in addition to the file allocation table (FAT) and FAT32 file systems. Windows Server 2003, Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000, and Windows NT are the only Microsoft operating systems that you can use to gain access to data on a local hard disk that is formatted with NTFS. If you plan to gain access to files that are on a local Windows XP Professional partition with the Microsoft Windows 95 or Windows 98 operating systems, you should format the partition with a FAT or FAT32 file system. We will use NTFS.

Setup will then begin copying necessary files from the installation point (CD, local I386 or network share).
Note: If you began the installation process from an MS-DOS floppy, make sure you have and run SMARTDRV from the floppy, otherwise the copying process will probably last more than an hour, perhaps even more. With SMARTDRV (or if setup was run by booting from CD) the copying will probably last a few minutes, no more than 5 max.

The computer will restart in graphical mode, and the installation will continue.

Step #4: The GUI-based portion of the Setup program

The setup process reboots and loads a GUI mode phase.

It will then begin to load device drivers based upon what it finds on your computer. You don't need to do anything at this stage.

Click Customize to change regional settings, if necessary.
Current System Locale - Affects how programs display dates, times, currency, and numbers. Choose the locale that matches your location, for example, French (Canada).
Current Keyboard Layout - Accommodates the special characters and symbols used in different languages. Your keyboard layout determines which characters appear when you press keys on the keyboard.
If you don't need to make any changes just press Next.

If you do need to make changes press Customize and add your System Locale etc.

anything