Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DTC Direct UK  (Read 17364 times)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
Re: DTC Direct UK
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 09:23:11 PM »

Cheers!

You and me both.

The Commissioner really does need to clamp down on the use of auto-diallers. The landline is becoming obsolete because of their use.

It can be very difficult to filter out these calls. Some days we are auto-dialled several times an hour by the same operator. What point is that?

One sly operator tries to foil call-filtering equipment used in large offices. He programs his auto-dialler to present a different number every time he calls.

These are not legitimate businesses. They serve no useful purpose and operate in blatant violation of the 2003 Regulations.

Their abuse of the fixed telephone network is ultimately to the detriment of reputable businesses and it is impeding the overall usefulness of the fixed line network.

Nowadays, the answering machine is left on permanently, fielding all calls, automated junk calls and otherwise.  Periodically (perhaps once a day) the recordings of the calls are played back to sift out the few worthy of response.   That's not how the phone network was meant to be used! *sigh*

cheers, a

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 12:14:18 AM »

More excellent comments.

The problem is that OFCOM and ICO just don't have the clout to stop the abuse of our telephone network.......or is it the willingness to protect its subscribers ?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 11:46:52 AM »

Hello everybody,

A slight, but important, diversion here.
Yesterday afternoon I received a call and answered it.
There was a noticeable delay before an Indian sounding gentleman addressed me by name and then rabbited on including the magic word MICROSOFT.

Given that the word is an anathema to me, I instructed the caller to "be off you silly man" in a peremptory manner.
The line then went dead without another word.
I have no doubt this possible member of homo sapiens was one of the nasty scammers, striking fear into the uninitiated, with threats of computer infections to allow him to plant eavesdropping malware on my computers.
There have been several such calls around here.

Kind regards,
Walter

Jimster

• Just arrived
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 02:35:18 PM »

I think your info may be a bit outdated, asbokid, some of the links you provided don't really prove your point, particularly [2]: there is no quote about a 'shockingly bad tariffs'. Did you just add that in?
When I first signed up with them, I had a few minor issues but instead of whinning about it, I tried the old fashion method of picking up the telephone and giving them a call. They were really helpful and even saved me money on my chosen destination because I requested it. Its always better to talk with a person on the phone and come to an agreement, rather than trashing the whole comapny based on one bad experience - which its clear that you have had. Either that, or you work for a rival company...  :P

formitfrog

• Just arrived
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 03:10:30 PM »

I think your info may be a bit outdated, asbokid, some of the links you provided don't really prove your point, particularly [2]: there is no quote about a 'shockingly bad tariffs'. Did you just add that in?
When I first signed up with them, I had a few minor issues but instead of whinning about it, I tried the old fashion method of picking up the telephone and giving them a call. They were really helpful and even saved me money on my chosen destination because I requested it. Its always better to talk with a person on the phone and come to an agreement, rather than trashing the whole comapny based on one bad experience - which its clear that you have had. Either that, or you work for a rival company...  :P
Good point, Jimster! After reading asbokid's data, I gave DTC Direct a call to hear it from them. I mentioned the points that asbokid addressed and they said that their policy is to never exceed the 3% drop rate and they've always kept within that rate. I mean, the guy I spoke to sounded like he knew what he was talking about and he didn't like try to sell me anythin. He just gave me the info i asked for. I'm a bit worried that there may be a hidden agenda with asbokid... i hope not cos that's not rely fair to everyone on here.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 03:34:19 PM »

I  believe that neither asbokid nor Jimster are employed by any ISP in any capacity and I would hope that any insinuations from any party to the contrary will cease.

They are merely making their points in their own manner.

formitfrog

• Just arrived
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 09:10:20 AM »

Absolutely agree! They each have their own opinion 'bout them. Lesson learnt; go straight to the horse's mouth. Nuff said!  :)

wolfman

• Just arrived
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 12:30:31 PM »

A little while back, DTC Direct was recommended to me by a friend. He seemed to think their customer service people were OK and fairly knowledgeable. So when I decide it's time to upgrade, I might give them a call to see how good they are and what they can offer. But I think we've all got to be careful these days, with whatever is being sold to us. Seems to me that it's the responsibility of the individual to make sure they are aware of what they're entering into, particularly if it involves money. Or, if in doubt, just say 'no' ::). Common sense, really.  ::)
Pages: 1 [2]