Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 9/11 10th Anniversary  (Read 1609 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
9/11 10th Anniversary
« on: September 11, 2011, 07:52:59 AM »

I'm sure you will join me in remembering all those people who lost their lives on that terrible day. :(

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:25:29 PM by UncleUB »

scottiesmum

Re: 9/11 10th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 09:48:37 AM »

For the people concerned it was a dreadful time, and will continue to be.     R.I.P.

However, I really do think the media have gone overboard; with constant BBC broadcasts from NY and repeats of broadcasts on the actually day of the terrible event, they  have, IMHO, demeaned the commemoration.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 10:07:33 AM »

However, I really do think the media have gone overboard; with constant BBC broadcasts from NY

Totally agree,

the BBC have a knack of sending far too many reporters/journalists all over the world to (in most cases) excessively cover news events.
Another case of public(license fee)money being put to bad use
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:25:52 PM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 10:27:34 AM »

Yes, I agree with the above. It was a terrible day, and it would be much better remembered quietly.
  Eric

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 11:18:32 PM »

A friend of mine lost his brother in the North Tower collapse.  The family remembered him today in a quiet ceremony away from crowds.  Each to their own.  RIP.

Colin

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 02:57:51 PM »

Gentle with me please.

I'm of that age, whose fathers were in the 1st WW, and personally had an uncle who was severely wounded there. We all know the carnage that war brought. Then( b.1936) in my infant and junior years I became ever more aware of what war meant, albeit not half as much as those in the thick of it. Nonetheless I know that people were grieving and  bombs destroyed indiscriminately. And so it goes on: I share all suffering to the extent I can as one remote from the centres of grief.

As to 9/11, where does that rank in the immense awfulness of men on men, race on race, sect on sect atrocities?
How does one set it against systematic exterminations? That I'll leave to others to decide.

In the past much war grief was hidden, private: I suggest it was borne stoically so as not to destroy others' morale, nor give encouragement to the enemy. After peace resumed was the time for reflection and celebration of the fallen.

Now something has changed in our national psyche.Maybe it is because as a nation we have not suffered close personal and national peril for many years.
If that applies to us then may be it applies more to the USA. Yes, loved ones were lost, but how many at home in that vast country were in danger? So 9/11 must have been a terrible shock to them.

We have changed as a nation, are more emotionally open: Wootton Bassett, road-.side flowers at accident spots evidence that. Have our years of peace and prosperity been the source of the change; has the changed weakened us might be a bigger question than 9/11 remembrances.

TBH. the world is in as bad a way as it was in the 30s, with the same dangers. That really worries me, and more for my children and grandchildren, than myself.

Where to put 9/11 in all that? :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 02:59:58 PM by renluop »

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 03:56:54 PM »

I have to agree with your sentiments renluop, people like me don't remember the war thank goodness as I don't know how they managed to come through it, though I realise they didn't have a choice. 

As to 9/11, a terrible thing to have happened and where war is usually in another land away from us this atrocity with the killing of so many people took place with us (through technology) watching every second.  I personally think any killing even in the name of war is abhorrent and I guess many people like me who haven't experienced previous loss in such circumstances will feel the same about Sept 11 in the same way.  The shock and horror of it played out before our very eyes...something we haven't experienced nor would want to again.

As for grieving, each has their own way, but like the two world wars, atrocities will and perhaps should be remembered, though I doubt human minds will ever learn from the experience and the aggression and killings will go on in whatever name they choose.  You are right that life has changed and IMO not for the better, I just wish there were no more wars and killing in the name of religion or country, but mankind has always fought and always will and how I loathe the fact it does.  LIke you, I fear for the future of our next generation and beyond that.  Let's hope some sense may prevail eventually though I doubt we should hold our breath...

Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 05:43:36 PM »

Renluop and Chrissie - thanks for those thoughts - so well put.   :)

Colin

anything