Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Community Grid Research  (Read 3611 times)

AdrianH

Community Grid Research
« on: September 10, 2011, 11:59:26 AM »

This is what the link in my signature is all about.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

World Community Grid brings people together from across the globe to create the largest non-profit computing grid benefiting humanity. It does this by pooling surplus computer processing power. We believe that innovation combined with visionary scientific research and large-scale volunteerism can help make the planet smarter. Our success depends on like-minded individuals - like you.

Active Research

Lists of current projects that everyone can help with.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/viewAllProjects.do

Help Fight Childhood Cancer.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/hfcc/overview.do

One of my favourite projects, the Grid makes a real impact on the amount of time research takes.

This work consists of 9 million virtual chemistry experiments, each of which would take hours to perform on a single computer, totaling over 8,000 years of computer time. World Community Grid is performing these computations in parallel and is thus speeding up the effort dramatically. The project is expected to be completed in two years or less.

Can anyone join?  Simple answer is yes. ( Obviously battery run laptops are not really suitable).

Will it cost me anything? Well yes it might , that depends on whether you run your PC 24/7 or not and the extra CPU time will require a bit more power but this is a way to make a real difference to thousands ( possibly millions) of people around the globe and you know that your money is not being misspent or redirected along the way.  The other plus in my cold and hard to heat lounge is the warm air produced by may 2 PC's running 24/7 means a nice warm room and reduced heating bills. :)

Does this use bandwidth? Yes but the amount is small, I see no massive increase on my machines, certainly not somethig I would worry about.

Personally I love this system and the knowledge that it is doing so much to fight cancers and diseases around the globe, take a look, maybe you could donate some hours too?

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Community Grid Research
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 11:09:29 AM »

Signed up and 'donated' my PC towards Cancer research.

Will see how it goes and may later add some more projects.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 03:31:49 PM »

Signed up and 'donated' my PC towards Cancer research.

Will see how it goes and may later add some more projects.

:clap2: :clap:  Great stuff, every machine makes a real difference  8)  It would pay to add more projects as you may get gaps between project runs. I have 2 machines running the clients and get 2 projects at a time from my list.

The Help Conquer for example will see gaps as they check results, meanwhile you could be crunching data for something else.

I am running these as they come available , I don't run the The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2 as it is too memory intensive.

Drug Search For Leishmaniasis

Computing For Clean Water

Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together - Phase 2

Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy - Phase 2

Help Fight Childhood Cancer

Help Conquer Cancer

Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2

FightAIDS@Home

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 03:51:40 PM »

>> The Help Conquer for example will see gaps as they check results, meanwhile you could be crunching data for something else.

I think I see what you mean.. 
I just looked at the task list thingy.. and it seems like there was about an hour when nothing was happening.  (I wasnt here at the time so dont know for sure)...  but according to this then there was a period between 12:21 and 13:39 when it could have been working, but didnt have anything to work on.
Will add another.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 04:02:26 PM »

... or maybe not?...   I have set the following option.

If there is no work available for my computer for the projects I have selected above, please send me work from another project.

Ive added this anyhow - Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy - Phase 2
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 04:12:25 PM »

I've signed up and started off with three projects. My main PC runs 24/7 because it does things like overnight backups, and this will make a really good use of the idle time. It uses quite a bit of CPU power, but I can always pause it if I need to when I'm doing something CPU-intensive.
  Eric

AdrianH

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 05:22:27 PM »

... or maybe not?...   I have set the following option.

If there is no work available for my computer for the projects I have selected above, please send me work from another project.

Ive added this anyhow - Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy - Phase 2

This is why >> http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,31475  << some of the projects are intermittent anyway, they gather results and work with them then send out more data for working. Msd2 is backed up according to that posting, so they will not be sending out units for a while.

I just signed up for everything bar one and let the machines do whatever is available.

AdrianH

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 05:26:16 PM »

I've signed up and started off with three projects. My main PC runs 24/7 because it does things like overnight backups, and this will make a really good use of the idle time. It uses quite a bit of CPU power, but I can always pause it if I need to when I'm doing something CPU-intensive.

You can choose the level of CPU usage in preferences to suit your needs, I stick with 100% and pause for anything "hungry".

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 06:54:27 PM »

Yes, I've reduced mine to 40%, because the processor was warming up more than I was comfortable with.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 08:59:05 PM »

>> You can choose the level of CPU usage in preferences to suit your needs,

I seem to be having a few problems with this.  Mine is set at 60%, but my CPU in task manager seems to be constantly at 100%.  Ive had several crashes today when trying to use just firefox.   Looking closer, Im not sure if its handling my quad-core system too well and each core is constantly running at 25%. (100% total).

It seems to run ok when nothing else is.. so Im temp switching it off whenever I want to use the PC.  I'll try later reducing the amount of CPU right down to see if that helps.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 10:34:48 PM »

I've got a quad core system too, and the activity in the four cores is constantly changing, but it looks as though it averages out at about the 40% that I've set as the limit.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 11:55:53 AM »

Ive reduced mine to 40% to see how that goes.   
Ive also changed the setting to 'do work after idle for 5 mins'... that way it seems to allow me some 'space' whilst browsing and doesnt constantly kick in immediately.
-----

AdrianH

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »

Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2   took me into GOLD territory today and 2 more projects getting close.
They are still looking to get more machines signed up to increase performance and there are some new projects just started which shoulf improve life for millions of people.

anything