Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Come REIN or SHINE! Ideas?  (Read 18296 times)

srt

• Reg Member
Re: Come REIN or SHINE! Ideas?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 08:45:49 AM »

And the latest seems to confuse even more ???
Its all noise margin fluctuations caused by "events" but I cannot figure out what that event might be :no:

[attachment deleted by admin]

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 08:56:07 AM »

On a happier note - - - My BT tech advisor has contacted me to say that OR have agreed to involving a REIN team with respect to the ongoing issues I am experiencing :)
I realise this does not mean everything will be fixed but at least there will hopefully be some boots on the ground who understand the problem :fingers:
 :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 01:45:54 PM »

And by the time (s)he or they make the first visit, you should have plenty of graphs to illustrate exactly what it is that you are experiencing. 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »

you should have plenty of graphs to illustrate exactly what it is that you are experiencing

Well that was true :)
A very knowledgeable OR chap called yesterday afternoon and we had a long chat about the problem and although I did not have all of the graphs from my pc I was able to show him some of them on my iPad :)
He could see clearly what the issues were and had a good few ideas. He checked around the area and as in "sods law" nothing really happened while he was there although there was just a short burst and drop in noise margin. He was quite confident he would eventually locate the problem/culprit and that did give me some cause for hope :)
Of course it will not be a quick solution but more the repeated visits to the area at the likely times of occurrence. He had an idea it might be a sat box and said he had come across quite a few of those causing noise issues - - particularly older "Pace" boxes. He said he would be in touch with the BT chap and REIN team and would be returning.
So I will keep  :fingers: and return with further updates as appropriate. :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 11:03:09 PM »

Thanks for the update.

So a solution seems to be on the horizon. Plodding along, slowly but surely, in a satisfactory direction -- just like an old black cat. ;)

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 08:31:43 AM »

I saw the OR chap in the area on Wednesday (two vans) and he briefly said he was still trying and had a particular area in mind :)
Well he must have had some luck as the BT tech support man phoned me yesterday to say that a "third party" property (not me) had been identified and although the OR people had not been able to get access they had left a calling card to advise who lived there that they needed to do some further investigations :)
Oh I do hope this works out :-X
I would also love to know who/what is the cause :hmm:
I will be watching the area closely ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 07:21:19 PM »

Paws crossed, for success, on your behalf. :fingers:

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 03:05:25 PM »

Well - - a little more news which "appears" promising :)
I got a call on Tuesday from the OR engineer who has been working on this REIN issue. He advised me that he was tracking incidents in my neighbourhood and there were a number of people getting issues three or four houses away!
He also said he had identified a significant source of REIN at a house arounf there and was going there on Wednesday to perform some further investigations although he was not sure if it may be the reason for my problem :(
Well all day Tuesday I saw only 1db fluctuations in the noise margin so I rebooted my router to get a bit higher sync.
That held overnight and the 1db fluctuations continued throughout Wednesday along with three resyncs not of my doing which upped the connection a bit more. I am thinking this might be the BT exchange adjusting automatically?
Well today I got a call from my very helpful BT tech chap who told me that the engineer thinks he has resolved the "Third party" contributor to the REIN issue and how was my service holding up? I advised him of what has been happening and it looks hopeful that things may be resolved:)
Ive attached todays graph to date to indicate what I am seeing.
I expect the OR chap to be in touch to let me know - - -and what it was that was causing the REIN - - if its corrected that is :)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 06:44:28 PM »

Hi
As far as I can see your trace is very good . It looks as if your router only reports in 1db steps .so that in fact your fluctuations are actually <1db ,that is if actual SNR was say 6.4db then you would see a plot at 6.0db,but 6.6db would plot 7db .
Regards Jeff
zen user

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 08:55:48 AM »

jeffbb - thanks for the reply :)
I think I understand a bit ??? :D
I wonder what or why the activity is so intense at some points and at others its just a solid line :-\
Might I be right in thinking the re-syncs are as a result of the BT excahange doing its auto thing?
Ive attached these to show what I mean - - there is no corresponding noise margin drop :-\

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 04:30:30 PM »

Hi
Its quite normal to have small fluctuations in snr margin ,where a router reports in 0.1 of a db then it is just like a ripple on the graph .Even then on
good lines you can have periods where there is no recordable change .In your case the quiet periods are periods where the SNR margin changes are not causing the to record +- 1db change .
For whatever reason you have lost synch,now if the connection is remade quick enough then RS may not have sampled the snr margin in that time so would not show a break on the snr graph. when you do resynch if the noise conditions are a little better than the last resynch then a small rise in synch rate may happen with no apparent change in SNR margin ,especially with the possibility that the actual SNR margin change could be up to 0.9db before recording a change (say 6.5x db to 7.4x db would still report 7db)
As a matter of interest what sampling rate are you using ?
Regards Jeff
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 04:53:56 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 10:43:15 AM »

As a matter of interest what sampling rate are you using ?
Regards Jeff

Its set to 20 seconds.
Latest shows more stable but my sync has still not got back to its earlier 3800kbps.
I read on another thread that it may be due to the RF3 that was fitted. Interestingly the OR chap that did that put it inside the faceplate box.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 11:05:04 PM »

Hi
quote : my sync has still not got back to its earlier 3800kbps.
As far as I know the RF£ should not lose you synch Rate ?.
Looking at your current SNR margin you have not got much to spare to improve your synch rate .It might be that at present its a noisy period .If the SNR margin  was to increase to about 10db with your current synch rate then It might be possible to resynch at that time and get an improved rate.

Regards Jeff
zen user

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 12:35:05 AM »

quote : my sync has still not got back to its earlier 3800kbps.
As far as I know the RF£ should not lose you synch Rate ?.

An RF3 has an almost negligible loop-insertion loss. IIRC, it inserts a DC resistance of between 1 and 2 Ohms and the effect on the line attenuation will not be noticed by us mere mortals looking at their modem/router's statistics. ;)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »

I think it depends a bit on the spread of frequencies used in a particular connection. It's not the DC resistance which matters, it's the frequency characteristics of the filter. An OR engineer once fitted an RF3 experimentally to my line in the course of investigating a problem, and it reduced the connection speed by several hundred kbps, which was restored when the filter was removed again.

Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6