Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Drop in SNR Margin on lifting phone  (Read 2048 times)

catzi

Drop in SNR Margin on lifting phone
« on: September 01, 2011, 02:29:05 PM »

Hi Everyone. I'm on a long ADSL line and can achieve somewhere around 2Mb download speeds. I have noticed that when I lift the phone, the Download SNR Margin drops by about 0.5dB. I have a DECT phone so I plugged in a regular wired phone and but it still has the same result

Attached are my router stats - I get plenty of errors but I imagine that's down to my long line. Just like to get an idea if this is a fault or should I just ignore it? (compared to my previous REIN problem this is nothing).

Cheers,

Iain

[attachment deleted by admin]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Drop in SNR Margin on lifting phone
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 02:51:42 PM »

I would say that you're doing about as well as you could hope with that level of attenuation, and none of the figures look particularly worrying. It would be worth swapping filters to eliminate that possible explanation for the drop. Apart from that it's probably just one of those things (sorry if that sounds wishy-washy). If it gets worse then it may indicate a line fault, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be any cause for complaint.

Eric

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Drop in SNR Margin on lifting phone
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 04:42:19 PM »

Spot on about swapping filters just in case. Although this can be cause by all sorts of things down the line to the exchange. a 0.5db difference is too small to concider. Also the change in condition lifting the phone off hook can alter the way the same amount of noise energy appears to the router, and the perameters it looks at may appear to show a slight difference to the numbers it presents. 0.5db would be an amount within this tolerence and I would ignore it. I would put it down to a quirk of how the router is measuring it as opposed to any real difference to the dsl performance.

anything