Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Exchange Upgrade  (Read 3360 times)

jabns

• Reg Member
BT Exchange Upgrade
« on: October 18, 2007, 03:15:02 AM »

Hi all,

I have always rate limited my lines using the sangoma linux ppp driver. The command is ADSL_MAX_DOWN_RATE and basically i set it at 7392kbps.

Recently i noticed that my lines upload speed was going crazy and never the less ONE line is now 8128kbps and the other still 7392kbps.

I have tried everything but can't control any aspect of that line anymore and my line is very unstable!

I was just wondering if anyone else was having similer issues controlling there lines. Also surely there is a reference(RFC) there equipment must follow.

On another note both lines are 1ft apart from each other and have the exact same modems yet they have a upstream attenuation that differs by 10db  ???  LOL

James Barlow

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BT Exchange Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 07:38:09 AM »

I think I'm probably the only other regular Linux user here, and I've never had a fast enough connection to want to rate-limit it. So I'm not going to be able to say anything useful about that.

If the line has suddenly gone unstable, this suggests a line fault, an internal wiring fault, a faulty filter or a major new interference source. As it's only happened to one of your two lines it's probably not interference. The fact that they differ considerably in attenuation rather supports the idea that it's a line fault (although it's not impossible for the two lines to follow different routes to the exchange). If you haven't already done so, swap your filters over to make sure they're not to blame.

If you have NTE5 master sockets, then remove the faceplate and connect to the test socket inside to eliminate any internal wiring from the connection. If it's now stable then you have a problem with the internal wiring.

If you use a telephone on the unstable line is there any audible hiss or crackling? You can dial 17070 and select the quiet line test from the menu. If you can hear any noise then report it as a voice fault (dial 150).
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 12:19:41 PM »

AFAIK jabs is in a location where it is possible that he could get routing from 2 different cabs.
The weather here over the past couple of weeks has alternated between sunny days but also a fair bit of rain.

IIRC he's using MLPPP to bond a couple of lines.  This isnt something Ive personally tried but I was speaking briefly to someone the other night about it who had attempted it and had run into difficulties.
If one line is unstable its obviously going to affect the max speed on the other line too.

I dont know enough about the subject to answer Im afraid. :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 05:48:57 PM »

The problem is that my upstream speed is more important than the downstream for hosting purposes.

By limiting the DL speed to 7392kbps i get the 6.5mbps bRAS profile and always get 832kbps upload on both lines. But now that the longer line is syncing at 8128kbps i sometimes don't get the full UL speeds.

The BT equipment seems to all of a sudden stopped letting my modem having the same control over the line as they used too???

My mum is a physio and i thought that here ultrasound machines might have caused trouble on the line but according to my snmp server the stats have hardly fluctuated so i just can't see why BT would stop letting me do this.

As for MLPPP it has been the best move i have made. Performance has peaked at at:
SEE SIG

That took a bit of tweaking but i got there. As for my internal wiring:
CAT6 straight from the junction box to the NTE5(not quite legit i know)
CAT6 from NTE5 to modem cards(just put RJ11 connectors on the end)

This increased my line quality dramatically but as kitz says my lines could go to different routes as i am in the middle of a long road

Thanks for comments,
James Barlow
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 05:54:19 PM by jabns »