Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I know I am going to embarrass myself but.....  (Read 3618 times)

staffsman

I know I am going to embarrass myself but.....
« on: July 11, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »

My wife has a laptop on which she does most of the banking etc.  This obviously involves putting in password all over the place.  The laptop is set up not to save password but it does save the numbers and/or words which she has used in the past.  She gets a list of possible number/word combinations (I'm sure there is a name for this but I don't know it).  We are not talking saved passwords just that the browser saves the number/words that have been typed in before.  When she runs CCleaner they go way but as she uses the laptop they return.  She wan't to stop it happening all together but I can't figure out how to.
She uses Chrome as a browser but I can't find in any of the tools or options how to stop it happening.

Can anyone help please?

The same happens on my PC but for me it's not an issue.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: I know I am going to embarrass myself but.....
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 05:38:54 PM »

Hello staffsman.....I have moved this thread into the Web Browsing board as I suspect that the problem lies in your browser rather than in Windows.

In Chrome, go top right hand corner and click on the spanner icon...then go options>minor tweaks>and check the option "never save passwords" .....also when you are there click on the tab "show saved passwords" and whatever you find in there, delete.

Then go options>under the bonnet>privacy>content settings>cookies>....and click on "remove all"

Does that do the trick ?

staffsman

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 06:10:53 PM »

Hello staffsman.....I have moved this thread into the Web Browsing board as I suspect that the problem lies in your browser rather than in Windows.

In Chrome, go top right hand corner and click on the spanner icon...then go options>minor tweaks>and check the option "never save passwords" .....also when you are there click on the tab "show saved passwords" and whatever you find in there, delete.

Then go options>under the bonnet>privacy>content settings>cookies>....and click on "remove all"

Does that do the trick ?

Hi Tuftedduck, thanks for the tip, unfortunately it doesn't help.  She has no saved passwords.  It's not passwords we are trying to get rid of and I knew it would be difficult to explain.  When she puts in the passwords the letter/number combinations can be seen in the password box however when she has to put in the password again at a later date up pops the numbers again.
 When I log on to my email account the same thing happens.. I type in the first couple of letters and up pops my log in details.
As I say, that's not a problem for me but the details that appear on the laptop are more important and should be secret. The worry is that, should the laptop be stolen or lost who ever looks at it will quite easily be able to find whatever has been typed in before.  It's like a drop down that show a few different numbers most of which are quite sensitive.  To go back to my email analogy, I have a number of different email addresses and when I start to log in up pops some choices for instance

*******@yahoo.co.ck
*******@bt.co.uk
*******@hotmail.com

My wife gets

and that is what she want to stop.

any ideas?
ray

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 06:29:45 PM »

A picture paints a thousand words ....... or something like that  ;D

Chrome> options > Personal Stuff

[attachment deleted by admin]

staffsman

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 06:42:36 PM »

Thanks Adrian,  I said I would be embarrassed.  I actually checked that area but has nothing was listed I assumed that wasn't it.

Thanks from me and my wife.

Ray

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 06:47:47 PM »

:) A pleasure , glad to have got something right today  ;D 

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:47:22 PM »

(I'm sure there is a name for this but I don't know it).  We are not talking saved passwords just that the browser saves the number/words that have been typed in before.
Obviously I'm glad to hear that your problem is resolved and although a bit late I think the word you were looking for was "Cookies" although even that may not of been the option you were initially looking for.

"Just thought I would add that in case it ever comes in handy"

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 09:46:05 PM »

Thanks Adrian,  I said I would be embarrassed.  I actually checked that area but has nothing was listed I assumed that wasn't it.

Thanks from me and my wife.

Ray

No need to feel embarrassed.

If you don't ask or search for an answer you wont get one.

Better to ask and learn somthing then you may be able to pass it on to others just as you have just done by making this post.

Thanks

AdrianH

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 10:33:40 AM »

(I'm sure there is a name for this but I don't know it).  We are not talking saved passwords just that the browser saves the number/words that have been typed in before.
Obviously I'm glad to hear that your problem is resolved and although a bit late I think the word you were looking for was "Cookies" although even that may not of been the option you were initially looking for.

"Just thought I would add that in case it ever comes in handy"

Not "cookies" (although they are used in the process), the system is called "auto fill " .

staffsman

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 10:58:32 AM »

Not "cookies" (although they are used in the process), the system is called "auto fill " .
[/quote]

I did actual  look in 'cookies', in fact I looked everywhere but couldn't find what I was looking for.  I knew it wasn't passwords, they were off anyway but couldn't find the right thing to tick or un-tick.  But now it is sorted and my wife likes me - today.

Thanks again Adrian and all those who bothered to look.

Today I have another question, this time for me, now all I have to do is find the right place to put it.

Ray

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 11:35:45 AM »

@staffsman
I sent you a PM yesterday.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

anything