Broadband Related > Broadband Technology

ADSL Protocols

(1/1)

burakkucat:
In another thread, as part of my attempt to provide a factual example, I mentioned that I am now using a 2Wire 2700HGV modem/router for access to the fully LLU'd TalkTalk provided broadband service, to which I subscribe.

On pointing my browser to the 2700HGV's home page and negotiating Settings ---> Broadband ---> Status ---> DSL Details I see:

--- Quote ---Protocol:    G.DMT2+ Annex A

--- End quote ---

I appreciate that the original ADSL1 protocol is G.DMT, a.k.a. G992.1 but am uncertain as to what the G.DMT2+ Annex A protocol is equivalent. Searching Wikipedia  does not really help, nor does Google. I found just a couple of references. One stated G.DMT2+ Annex A is also known as G992.5 Annex A.

Can anyone give me a definite description of that protocol, including the downstream & upstream maximum bit rates, please? ???

waltergmw:
Hi BKK,

This might be a start:-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/beO2setup.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm

But I suspect you will need some more detailed explanations too.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat:
Thank you, Walter.

Looking at the second link you've provided (not too far to travel!), it seems (to me) that reference to Annex A is superfluous as all it does is indicate DSL over POTS -- with which we are all familiar, from daily use. Combining the Kitz details with the other reference that I previously found, I see that:

G.DMT2+ == G992.5 == ADSL2+

In other words, a downstream of "up to" 24 Mbps. :)

Obviously, there is something "good" with the 2700HGV's chip set which agrees with the Infineon (Huawei) DSLAM to which I am connected. When using the previous modem/router, a Netgear DG834Gv5, (a Conexent chip set) I achieved better performance when forcing it to use the G.DMT (ADSL1) protocol rather than allowing it to "auto detect" and use G992.5 (ADSL2+).

Off topic and crazy thought time.

I wonder if someone with a FTTC connection has tried plugging a 2700HGV into the VDSL2 port and if so, what the Diagnostics - DSL page shows . . .  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version