Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL Protocols  (Read 5752 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
ADSL Protocols
« on: August 26, 2011, 09:11:58 PM »

In another thread, as part of my attempt to provide a factual example, I mentioned that I am now using a 2Wire 2700HGV modem/router for access to the fully LLU'd TalkTalk provided broadband service, to which I subscribe.

On pointing my browser to the 2700HGV's home page and negotiating Settings ---> Broadband ---> Status ---> DSL Details I see:

Protocol:    G.DMT2+ Annex A

I appreciate that the original ADSL1 protocol is G.DMT, a.k.a. G992.1 but am uncertain as to what the G.DMT2+ Annex A protocol is equivalent. Searching Wikipedia  does not really help, nor does Google. I found just a couple of references. One stated G.DMT2+ Annex A is also known as G992.5 Annex A.

Can anyone give me a definite description of that protocol, including the downstream & upstream maximum bit rates, please? ???
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: ADSL Protocols
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 11:52:40 PM »

Hi BKK,

This might be a start:-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/beO2setup.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm

But I suspect you will need some more detailed explanations too.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ADSL Protocols
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 01:16:50 AM »

Thank you, Walter.

Looking at the second link you've provided (not too far to travel!), it seems (to me) that reference to Annex A is superfluous as all it does is indicate DSL over POTS -- with which we are all familiar, from daily use. Combining the Kitz details with the other reference that I previously found, I see that:

G.DMT2+ == G992.5 == ADSL2+

In other words, a downstream of "up to" 24 Mbps. :)

Obviously, there is something "good" with the 2700HGV's chip set which agrees with the Infineon (Huawei) DSLAM to which I am connected. When using the previous modem/router, a Netgear DG834Gv5, (a Conexent chip set) I achieved better performance when forcing it to use the G.DMT (ADSL1) protocol rather than allowing it to "auto detect" and use G992.5 (ADSL2+).

Off topic and crazy thought time.

I wonder if someone with a FTTC connection has tried plugging a 2700HGV into the VDSL2 port and if so, what the Diagnostics - DSL page shows . . .  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.