Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Co-location of DSLAM or MSAN  (Read 4725 times)

MalcT

• Just arrived
Co-location of DSLAM or MSAN
« on: September 22, 2011, 02:26:44 PM »

Is an ISP or CP compelled to co-locate their equipment e.g. DSLAM or MSAN at the incumbent fixed operator's exchange or can the equipment be placed remotely and interconnected to the exchange/MDF via a transmission system e.g. E1? If possible, does this place any limitation on the bandwidth / speed etc. of the service offered?

I had always assumed that DSLAMs / MSANs have to be co-located in the terminating exchange (or very close by using tie cables) with the ISP or CPs providing the backhaul beyond the DSLAM/MSAN.

If applicable a diagram or case study reference would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any information.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Co-location of DSLAM or MSAN
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 03:59:28 PM »

As far as I know, the LLU equipment has to be co-located. There's a lot of information here.

With LLU the copper pair will enter the exchange as normal on to the MDF. However, LLU lines will have their own designated Panel blocks on the MDF which are attached to the HDF via a tie cable containing 100 pairs.

Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 06:29:49 PM »

Hi Malc,

Even for sub-loop unbundling the tie cable(s) have to be no longer that 100 m in total.

Kind regards,
Walter

MalcT

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 10:33:02 AM »

Thanks for replies to date. I had read all of the Kitz site info which seemed to confirm my understanding i.e. DSLAMs or MSANs either have to be co-located in or adjacent to the incumbent's cross-connect frames.

I intend to speak to some vendors next week so will post any relevant information I find for general consumption.

M