Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Exchange is Infinity Enabled, but we can't get it  (Read 5994 times)

danieltharris

Exchange is Infinity Enabled, but we can't get it
« on: September 01, 2011, 10:52:44 AM »

I've checked and our exchange supports Infinity according to the official website.

Any idea why we can't get it at our property, do we need to wait for further works to be completed between our property and the exchange? New fibre cabinets or something?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Exchange is Infinity Enabled, but we can't get it
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 11:26:01 AM »

Infinity depends on fibre connections to a cabinet near you (FTTC), and until that's done you can only wait and hope.
  Eric

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 12:14:14 PM »

You need to "register an interest" on the Infinity web page......also encourage as many of your neighbours as possible to do the same.

This may well hurry along the cabinet installation if BT can see sufficient numbers in the area are interested.

This is what I was advised by a friend who works at BT, unfortunately most of my neighbours are elderly and don't currently have a broadband connection  :no:

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 03:32:41 PM »

You need to "register an interest" on the Infinity web page......also encourage as many of your neighbours as possible to do the same.

This may well hurry along the cabinet installation if BT can see sufficient numbers in the area are interested.

This is what I was advised by a friend who works at BT, unfortunately most of my neighbours are elderly and don't currently have a broadband connection  :no:
I registered my interest a while back but as far as I know BT are no longer taking part in this as the closing date has been reached  :(
Mike

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 03:36:16 PM »

I registered my interest a while back but as far as I know BT are no longer taking part in this as the closing date has been reached  :(

Welcome to the 'never,never' club Mike.  :(

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 05:21:29 PM »

It depends which cabinet your line Is fed from. The cabinet being the green box usualy 4 ft high typicaly on the pavement in your locality. If on Infinity then there will be a new cabinet next to it. Usually with a small openreach sticker on it stating a new type of service is avalable.

the next problem is should you spot such a cabinet you dont know for sure if its the one that feeds your property. Or if your line may be fed via a secondary cabinet which may be a "pillar" or the cabinet your looking at isnt a bt cabinet at all.

So this is only a partial guide. Where I used to live without knowing for sure I would have assumed my line ran via a nearby cabinet which I often passed, or maby a second one a little further in another direction. Not he one I was actualy routed through which was tucked away in a 3rd direction. In my parents case, its easy the only one anywhere visible in the area is less than 200m on the same road. Highly likely it was this one they were fed from. Sure enough a new cabinet appears and some work is seen being done feeding cabling underground off into the distance.

they had just over 1mb, I finaly sort out the star wiring, then 3mb on a very line now on infinity 38mb as measured via an online test. Not only can I-player work uninterupted but 2 computers on i-player hd and a far more reliable skype all at the same time.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 07:02:57 PM »

I've checked and our exchange supports Infinity according to the official website.

Any idea why we can't get it at our property, do we need to wait for further works to be completed between our property and the exchange? New fibre cabinets or something?

Hi Daniel,

I have access to a leaked BT wholesale document from April of this year. If you would like to send me your postcode via a PM, I will look to see if it appears in that document and, if so, which PCP you should keep under observation.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

danieltharris

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 09:19:11 PM »

I've not found out which PCP we are connected to yet for sure.

However I went onto the Live Online chat on the BT website and the sales guy told me that the work to enable Infinity on our line is due to start in November 2011, he went before I could ask how accurate that date is.

Not sure how much info these guys have, but unless anybody knows otherwise I guess there's no reason not to believe him.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 12:02:47 AM »

Hi Dan,

You are most certainly not allowed to talk to BT Openreach and it is their group who will be doing all the telephone cable works around your PCP.
Bearing in mind winter weather, as well as impertinent people such as Paul who actually want their full service restored, any suggestion of definitive dates over two months in advance must IMHO be taken with a good pinch of salt !

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 12:55:51 AM »

I've not found out which PCP we are connected to yet for sure.

You need to stalk an OR engineer, whilst carrying chocolate biscuits, bacon sandwiches, tomato ketchup / HP Sauce, one flask of tea and another one of coffee! :thumbs:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 08:27:51 AM »

Bearing in mind winter weather, as well as impertinent people such as Paul who actually want their full service restored, any suggestion of definitive dates over two months in advance must IMHO be taken with a good pinch of salt !

Who? What? the cheek of it  :lol:

Patience is a virtue, one that is certainly needed, along with persistence.

Paul.

anything