Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ADSL connections  (Read 9220 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ADSL connections
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 06:00:20 PM »

If you keep getting a new WAN IP address, then I assume that you must be dropping your PPP session with the ISP every 60 seconds.

>> but done it through portforward.com

I shouldnt have thought so...
but it is perhaps worth trying a reset to manufacturers default settings, just to make sure that something else didnt get changed at the same time.

Re the filter hmmm could always try another - but the fact you say it happens exactly every 60 seconds 24/7 to me doesnt indicate a low SNR problem (unless theres a large electrical pulse somewhere that occurs every min).

YOu have checked that theres not an idle disconnect set for 60secs too havent you?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ellogg

• Just arrived
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 06:19:55 PM »

With the 3Com the idle disconnect is 30mins, looking at details in my second post its just the IP address also from this the Netgear as a "IP Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.255" and the 3Com and Philips have a "Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0"? could this be an issue.
I have also been informed by my brother who works for cable/Virgin media. That sometimes the ISP requests the MAC address from the modem and if thats not related to that they have on there system (ie the Netgear) it will not stay connected, again he is cable/virgin not ADSL.

I have now only got the main BT box downstairs took out extension, I have also disconnected the phone and just had modem-filter-BT box still the same issue.

Both 3Com and Philips have been factory reset, but dont want to do netgear as dont want to everything to fail.

Ellogg

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 06:42:40 PM »

Checked BT test point with modem still getting ip change every 60's

Ellogg

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 11:40:08 AM »

Sorry - Not sure what else to suggest Im afraid :(

Dunno if anyone else has any ideas?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 02:38:04 PM »

Not a clue I'm afraid. I've never heard of that happening before now... unless a detailed log can show what's causing the address to change.
Chris

tnp

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 12:20:26 AM »

Checked BT test point with modem still getting ip change every 60's

Ellogg

That is...weird. Unless you are somehow configured to drop and reconnect every 60 seconds, you should retain the same IP address throughout the session.

The wrong netmask is not an issue - that netmask applies to the 'network' that comprises your (modem?) and the far end termination kit: since thats all that is on it it doesn't matter if the netmask is almost anything. However that SHOULD be being dished out by the DHCP along with the IP address, so that fact that it's not consistent suggests that somethng s badly screwed by way of the DHCP being recieved from your ISP.

In fact, putting two and two together and making five, everything you report is consistent with the far end kit having been set up by someone technically equivalent to a gibbon. If they have set up microscopically short DHCP lease times - like 60 seconds - for test purposes..
you will indeed be getting changes to the IP address..if further the whole routing tables are being rebuilt every 60 seconds to compensate, and your IP address changes in the middle of a conversation with a remote machine, packets that should have gone to you will wander off elsewhere.

Can you confirm that you have set the modems or routers up with no specific IP address associated with them - i.e. that they are configured to 'automatic' or 'get address from ISP' etc. ?

If so, then the problem is with the ISP, and you should bully the support people gently to get their far end kit configuration reviewed.

This is the sort of thing that happens when a piece of kit falls over at 3 a.m and the onsite guy gets a spare one and sort of sets it up enough to sort of get it mostly working, without doing a proper job.

OR its possible that you are misunderstanding something and setting every router/modem up badly yourself.

There should be a setup page concerned with setting up names addresses and passwords and other stuff..a dump of the infomation there (change name and password in posting) would help.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 08:21:42 AM »

Hmmmmm ..... surely if the netgear modem supplied by Vodafone works ok then it cant be a prob with the ISP??  Does the netgear have a higher line quality threshold?  or is it being queried by Vodaphone and confirmed that it is their kit Ellogg is using?

if its the same on wireless then it cant be a driver/port prob on the pc and again the original router works ok.

I deffo think its time for a call to Vodaphone and if you get the same reply as before that there isnt a prob then ask for 2nd level support then 3rd level etc (I actually got to 4th level support with BT and made a monkey out of him as well)

good luck
Paul
Pages: 1 [2]

anything