Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ADSL connections  (Read 9221 times)

Ellogg

• Just arrived
ADSL connections
« on: October 17, 2007, 11:55:56 AM »

Alright everyone

New to the site so sorry if I am putting this in the wrong section but unsure of problem to do a search for.

Anyway, my ISP is Vodafone At Home for the last 10 months, service I am getting is excellent but over the last couple of weeks been having problems with my 3com office connect 11g wireless modem/router. Using wireless and wired connections after about 5 or 6 pages in when using the internet it seems to just stop working and page error comes up. This occurs on both the computer and laptop, yet when i connect the wired netgear modem supplied by Vodafone the internet is fine. I came to the conclusion that the 3com ADSL modem/router was no good and bought a Philips SNA6500 wireless modem/router. The problem is this is doing the same after about 5 or 6 pages it stops working yet is still connected to the internet. I contacted Vodafone who informed me that everything is fine on there system as the netgear modem is working so I have hit a brick wall and need someone to help me knock it down. Oh and both PC and laptop have the same problems connecting ok through wired also through my neighbours wireless internet.

Thanks all

Ellogg

Have also found that when I have been watching the ADSL status on my 3 modems here is the outcome found:-

1. Negear DM111 supplied by Vodafone IPS.

Connects gets IP address and stays with that IP address until I disconnect the modem.

2. Philips SNA6500 ADSL wireless base station

Connects gets IP address and stays connected but after 60 seconds IP address changes causing loss in internet, but not the ADSL connection.

3. 3Com Officeconnect ADSL wireless 11g modem/router

Connects gets IP address and stays connected but after 60 seconds IP address changes causing loss in internet, but not the ADSL connection.

Please Please can some shed some light on why the IP address changes and how to over come it?

Thanks All

Ellogg

I am sorry if I have put this in the wrong section but am struggling to find advice anywhere.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: ADSL connections
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 12:10:24 PM »

When you say the IP address changes... do you mean your actual internet IP address or the local IP address on your PC? If so, that's pretty odd... and something I've not come across before, and to be honest I wouldn't know the reason for it happening.

Can you provide some more info and maybe screenshots / status logs from the modem to see if that helps at all (be sure to remove any username/password info from them first!)

If you're still not comfortable posting status logs up in public you can always PM them to me and I can take a look at them.

Does sound really weird though!
Chris

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 12:27:11 PM »

Sounds like he's talking about the wireless connection from his computer to the router?

It'll probably be a driver problem related to wireless encryption but I'm not 100% sure that he is talking about wireless connections :)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 02:10:45 PM »

I'm not 100% sure that he is talking about wireless connections

Me either, and that's what I'm leaning to, but I dunno.

Could be something as simple as the wireless router on the same channel as a neighbour's one and it taking over randomly, as sometimes happens.
Chris

Ellogg

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 11:54:53 PM »

Here is the info chris asked for any ideas

Ok here is what I have found after a good mess round.

Using the Netgear DM111 supplied by Vodafone, wired ethernet, I get the following status

ADSL Port
MAC Address
IP Address 81.140.93.209
Network Type PPPoA Bridging
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
Gateway IP Address 81.140.160.45
Primary DNS server 194.72.9.38
Secondary DNS server 194.74.65.69

Using The Philips SNA6500 I get the following status when the modem connects to the internet :-

Current Time: 2007-10-16 02:07:45

INTERNET
ADSL CONNECTED
WAN IP 81.140.74.141
Subnet Mask 255.0.0.0
Gateway 81.140.160.45
Primary DNS 194.72.9.38
Secondary DNS 194.74.65.69

ADSL / ISP
VPI/VCI 0/38
Encapsulation VC MUX
Protocol PPPoA
IP Address 81.140.74.141
Subnet Mask 255.0.0.0
Gateway 81.140.160.45
Primary DNS 194.72.9.38
Secondary DNS 194.74.65.69

After about a minute the status changes to this :-

Current Time: 2007-10-16 01:09:00

INTERNET
ADSL Physical Up

ADSL / ISP
VPI/VCI 0/38
Encapsulation VC MUX
Protocol PPPoA
IP Address 81.140.74.170
Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
Gateway 81.140.160.45
Primary DNS ---
Secondary DNS ---

With the following information logged in the security log:-

10/16/2007 01:08:59 ATM1 get IP:81.140.74.170
10/16/2007 01:08:12 NTP Date/Time updated.
10/16/2007 02:07:45 If(ATM1) PPP connection ok !
10/16/2007 02:07:44 ATM1 get IP:81.140.74.141
10/16/2007 02:07:35 ATM1 start PPP
10/16/2007 02:07:35 Dial On Demand(ATM1)
10/16/2007 02:07:01 ADSL Media Up !

The actual online LED on the modem stays lit and this occurs on both wireed and wireless connections
As mentioned earlier I an a novice to all this information so any help will be much appriciated.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 10:00:06 AM »

Haven't got time to browse around right now (plus my migration is today) but here's my quick thoughts :

You have a dynamic IP address from your ISP. The netgear looks like a modem rather than a router (PPPoA Bridging suggests that). The Philips sounds like a router? Anyway it looks like the Philips box has an idle timeout set and that's what's causing the disconnections. Probably.

Perhaps someone with more time than me today could check that?

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »

Your subnet mask on the Philips is wrong (or it certainly appears that way) in both instances - assuming it refers to the WAN (internet) side of your router rather than the LAN.

Can you open a command window on your computer  (in windows Start->Run then type cmd and hit enter), then type

ipconfig /all and hit return

Then right-click in the window, select mark, then left-drag to select the text, right-click to copy then paste it in here. You can stretch the window to fit the text.

I took a quick look at the Philips manual but its PDF junk where you can't even see the router webpages :(

Do that (if possible) when you don't have the problem and then when you do. That allows us to see whether the LAN side looks OK or not. I suspect it won't if you have two computers and have in the past been using a single ethernet port modem and that still works.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 01:39:17 PM by rizla »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 01:42:07 PM »

A few thoughts as I read your post. (and got further down the thread).

>> after about 5 or 6 pages it stops working yet is still connected to the internet /..snip../ stop working and page error comes up.

When the "Internet" goes down are you still able to sucessfully ping any other machine on your network?

DNS problems? Have you tried hardsetting a DNS server on the machines?  Could also perhaps try OpenDNS servers (208.67.220.220 + 208.67.222.222).
Double check the settings for the wireless connection, which could be different than the wired.

>> The netgear looks like a modem rather than a router

According to the blurb Ive just seen it does appear to be just an adsl2+ modem and not a router.

>> Anyway it looks like the Philips box has an idle timeout set and that's what's causing the disconnections

It does perhaps sound like it - but thats a pretty quick idle disconnect and why does it also occur on the 3com.

hmmm Im wondering if software installed by say an ISP disk for the Vodafone modem settings mucked up any other settings for the routers? Ive seen some ISP ST330 software causing weird conflicts when first installing a router.  Uninstalling the ST330 software usually immediately fixes the problem.

I'm also thinking - You know how you can already be connected and then IE may pop-up a box/errors if you dont have things set to "never dial a connection", as it tries to attempt to set up another connection.
If theres something on the PCs that thinks the DM111 is the default connection then it may attempt to try and connect via that.

Just to eliminiate the off-chance that this isnt what is "kicking" your connection after a few mins, make sure "Never dial a connection" is set From IE - Tools > Internet Options > Connection.

Then I think I'd at least try hardcoding the network settings on the wireless card to see if that helps.

[edited to add]
Rizlas las post wasnt there when I first started typing this (i'd been looking at the DM111) - but I posted it anyhow.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 01:59:06 PM »

strange that the DNS info is missing after it stops working???

one thing i'd try is restart everything so its in working order (for the time being) open cmd box and 'tracert www.google.com' and write down the ip address, then when it stops working, stick that ip address in IE's address bar and see if it can indeed bring up google page.

If it can, hit the reset on the router and retry ... if the same speak with the isp??

Paul

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 02:05:51 PM »

It has lost routing at that point I reckon. Why is anyone's guess at this point :)

Edit - that's why I looked at the Philips manual, to see if there was some way of seeing the routing table on the router. If there is then I can't find it :(
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 02:11:19 PM by rizla »

Ellogg

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 11:41:17 PM »

Had a go at pwiggler advice about using www.google.co.uk ip address (64.233.169.103) and it worked even after the 60 seconds. On the 3Com modem I changed the DNS address to that highlighted by Kitz OpenDNS. Well what do you know its alive and staying alive, for now. Thanks everyone I hope you can all rest well tonight knowing you have all done a good deed for the day. Thanks again.

But just for my own knowledge why was this happening and I have also noticed the actual Internet IP address is still changing every 60 seconds or so.

Thanks Ellogg (A very very happy man) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 03:16:58 PM »

>> On the 3Com modem I changed the DNS address to that highlighted by Kitz OpenDNS. Well what do you know its alive and staying alive, for now.

Glad something worked out although it would have been interesting to see what was happening with the routing at the time since it does seem that something else could have been going on too.

- thanks for letting us know.. and fingers crossed that it stays that way :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ellogg

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 02:47:42 PM »

As with most things I do they never go to plan.

Back in the same boat now, with IP address still changing every 60 seconds when every I connect to MIRC I only get 60 seconds of connection before the IP address changes and the software disconnects me. as mentioned in my last reply. Vodafone still don't want to know as its not there router, the Philips Router is ok back at the shop so am not getting any money back for that and the 3Com which I may of forgot to mention earlier did work for a couple of months. I have no hair left now so if anyone can help and requires and details or screen dumps etc. please let me know.

Thanks again everyone

Ellogg

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 05:48:50 PM »

hi ellogg

if the netgear modem works ok and i presume that you require wireless, instead of attaching the modem to the pc, attach it to the wireless router and set the router as an access point??

i dont know whether this is what you want to achieve.

Paul

Ellogg

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 05:00:50 PM »

I have had many days just watching the 3Com Modem/Router now and found that if I leave in switched on overnight with no computer on and the wireless disabled the IP address still changes every 60 seconds exactly, as this is shown the next morning when I login and check the modem status logs. I also noticed that it is 60 seconds from when the modem gets its first IP address not a change from the ISP. I came across a point in the status logs of the modem where it didnot change for 10 minutes this was in the middle of the night?????? but then went back to 60 seconds.

I can recall a while ago I was told to set up port forwarding not 100% on this but done it through portforward.com not sure if this could have done anything.

I also know my wife stood on the filter and snapped it on the main BT box downstairs I replaced this with another filter. Could it be possible that a bad connection inside the BT box is causing this, noise etc, but this is not effecting the netgear modem?

Please anyone got any ideas I am all ears.

Thanks Ellogg :( :( :( :( :(
Pages: [1] 2

anything