Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ZyXEL VDSL Modem  (Read 13105 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
ZyXEL VDSL Modem
« on: August 24, 2011, 08:08:21 AM »

Gentlefolk,

Those interested in a VDSL modem with some diagnostics might like to view the manual available via the following Google search line.

P2812HNU-F1 manual

It seems that you must log on as a Superuser. It's interesting to see it only provides downstream noise margin and attenuation plus upstream power as well as bit loading data. I expect this device will still be quite expensive, assuming you can find a UK supplier.

Kind regards,
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: ZyXEL VDSL Modem
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:45:11 AM »

Those interested in a VDSL modem with some diagnostics might like to view the manual available via the following Google search line.

It seems that you must log on as a Superuser. It's interesting to see it only provides downstream noise margin and attenuation plus upstream power as well as bit loading data. I expect this device will still be quite expensive, assuming you can find a UK supplier.

Hi Walter,

I'm still hopeful that with the recent progress that has been made by others, we will all soon be able to unlock BT's Huawei HG612 modem to obtain the stats that we so desperately need for monitoring our connections.

You never know, there may even be an "official" firmware upgrade with which to unlock them in the not too distant future.

Paul.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:12:54 AM »

Hi Paul,

Given that the old BT Business hub has good diagnostic facilities so the technology (and modem memory capacity) are available. I would suspect that either the modem's memory capacity has been reduced to the minimum over cost considerations or, just possibly, there has been a management decision to attempt to hide FTTC line performance data from the EU. Furthermore very significant effort is needed to upgrade, test and deploy firmware upgrades. I wonder if anybody can tell us if firmware auto-upgrade logic is included in the BT modem?

I did enquire if the 2700HGV was VDSL2 compatible and was told it is capable but it hasn't been implemented. Given that 2Wire was taken over recently**, and BT seem to be relying on Huawei DSLAMS / MSANS and EU Modems I doubt that anybody in the UK, Singapore or New Zealand would upgrade the 2700. Perhaps some brave soul with a FTTC connection might like to try the 2700 Diagnostics page ?

** http://www.pace.com/universal/news-events/press-releases/2010/pace-completes-acquisition-of-2wire/

Kind regards,
Walter

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 02:12:55 PM »

Hi Paul,

Given that the old BT Business hub has good diagnostic facilities so the technology (and modem memory capacity) are available. I would suspect that either the modem's memory capacity has been reduced to the minimum over cost considerations or, just possibly, there has been a management decision to attempt to hide FTTC line performance data from the EU. Furthermore very significant effort is needed to upgrade, test and deploy firmware upgrades. I wonder if anybody can tell us if firmware auto-upgrade logic is included in the BT modem?

Hi Walter,

We have seen screenshots of an "unlocked" HG612 in this thread, so it appears pretty obvious that "The Management" deemed it a good idea to disable the http interface from end users' access.

The box these modems arrive in states:-

"Support VDSL2
2 Ethernet Ports
Advanced Management via HTTP, TR-069
Support Router Mode and Built-in Firewall"

Why would that decision have been made I wonder?

Paul.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ZyXEL and Other VDSL Modems
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 06:59:08 PM »

Deviating somewhat from this thread's subject line, I would like to state that there are three versions of the BT Business Hub.

Version 1.0. The original "single SSID" 2Wire 2700HGV.
Version 2.0. The "double SSID" 2Wire 2700HGV.
Version 3.0. The "fibre-able" 2Wire 2701HGV-C.

The Version 3.0 can be considered as the business equivalent of the BT Home Hub to the domestic BT Infinity user. In other words, it has an Ethernet port into which the VDSL modem is plugged.

All three BT Business Hubs behave like the OR VDSL Modem in that they use the TR-069 protocols to "phone home" and ask for any firmware updates that may be available from the provisioning server(s).

I am an owner of both a Version 2.0 and a Version 3.0 BT Business Hub and am routinely using the V2.0 for my day to day (non-BT) broadband access. As I do not want to have any firmware upgrade pushed onto my V2.0, I have blocked it access to the provisioning server(s) by setting up null routes for both provisioning servers IP addresses. Examination of the log files shows that the 2700HGV attempts to "phone home" but now gets no "answer". ;)

As, like most modem/routers these days. both the 2Wire 270xHGV[-C] and the Huawei HG612 use a version of Linux-on-a-chip as their "engines", I just wish that the manufacturers would make the generic factory built firmware available. Strictly speaking, they must make the source code available, for the Linux kernel is released under the GPL v2. For example Netgear does, so why not 2Wire or Huawei? (Rhetorical question!)

I guess I shall have to eBay another 2700HGV for my experiments . . . but, now-a-days, I don't have access to an oscilloscope, etc.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:07:26 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ZyXEL and Other VDSL Modems
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »

I did enquire if the 2700HGV was VDSL2 compatible and was told it is capable but it hasn't been implemented.

As I implied in my previous post, there is no implementation of a VDSL2 modem in any of the 2Wire 270xHGV[-C] devices. The closest one can get is with the 2701HGV-C acting as a router to an external VDSL2 modem.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.