Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Speedtest.net  (Read 1483 times)

kezzaman

• Reg Member
Speedtest.net
« on: August 20, 2011, 07:31:03 PM »

On speedtest.net it highlights which server is closest and best for you to run a test on, but since i've been with Virgin every other day its a different server in a different location  ??? I live in Derby and the closest 1 to me is Birmingham but sometimes it tells me im near Morecoambe or Manchester or even down London. This isn't really causing any problems im just kinda curious.

AdrianH

Re: Speedtest.net
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 07:55:24 PM »

Speedtest.net doesn't work like that. The distances given are from your ISP's servers to the test server, the "best " server for me was London which Speedtest told me was only 50miles away, that has now changed to 150miles with a different ISP and the tester now tells me to check via Birmingham, I am on the South Coast.

Virgin must be using an IP system like AOL's where you get shown on any available IP address in a huge pool.

kezzaman

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 08:34:10 PM »

oh right, cheers

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »

The distance mentioned is not a straight-line distance ("as the crow flies") but is the cumulative distance of the routing used to get from your ISP's server to the selected speed testing server. If you have a dynamically allocated IP address (as is the case with the majority of domestic users) and you have had a modem re-sync since your last speed test, then you will most likely have been allocated a different IP address from your ISP's "pool".

Here is an example of what you have observed. I live in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. I can do a speed test using the London Speedtest.net server and have the distance reported as ~50 miles. I trace and note the route taken from my ISP's server to the London Speedtest.net server. After performing a modem re-sync or dropping and re-establishing my current PPPoA session, I will have a different IP address allocated to me. I repeat the speed test using the same London server and have the distance reported as ~100 miles. Tracing the route shows my connection to the London Speedtest.net server has taken a completely different path to that used previously. The only change between then and now is my dynamically allocated IP address.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 09:28:05 PM »

Hi
I thought it was based on your IP Address . If I use An IP address locator It shows me in the City of London.
so it shows  London,Maiden head +others as the recommended .I am actually in North Wales. selecting Manchester  rather than the recommended consistently gives Lower Ping  .
Regards Jeff
zen user

anything