Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC work screwed up my ADSL broadband conection?  (Read 1214 times)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
FTTC work screwed up my ADSL broadband conection?
« on: August 20, 2011, 09:38:03 PM »

I knew it was too good to last!

Last March I had faults with my ADSL service (VIRGIN is the ISP) which were eventually fixed by OR. It was presumed that there was a HR fault somewhere on the network but no actual problem could be traced, but reassignment of pairs by OR made the fault go away.   

During the trouble shooting period my ISP made my connection a “fixed” speed of 4Mb with a target SNR of 14 (I or thereabouts from memory). After OR had reassigned pairs and the HR fault went away my connection became stable. It would connect at 4mb with a 11.1 db SNR every day without trouble and provided a rock steady connection.

Until last week. Now whilst the connection speed remains “fixed” at 4Mb the SNR has dropped to around 7db (often far less) and as you would expect the connection has become very unreliable.

Now coincidentally BT has launched Infinity in my area within the last 2 weeks and I am being bombarded by them to sign up. The local area has also been saturated with OR vans recently (no exaggeration) and the cabinets about 250 metres from my property seem to constantly have an OR engineer peering into them.

I have complained to my ISP about my connection suddenly becoming unreliable but they do not appear to be interested as OR tell them that they van find no problem on my line. (Which is what they said last March so I’m taking that with a pinch of salt).

So I was gently left fuming over this when I learned today from my neighbour that he is also experiencing precisely the same problem – his ISP is SKY. In fact his problem is far worse as his connection speed has fallen to just 0.5Mb. He also has been in touch with his ISP and has been told by them that they (the ISP) have several issues running with OR due to work being done by them in providing FTTC at the cabinet screwing up existing ADSL connections and customers. If true this tends to bear out my suspicions.

I may be forced to migrate to Infinity if OR keep denying there is a problem.

Has anybody else experienced or heard about FTTC work impacting existing ADSL customers or is this not really likely?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC work screwed up my ADSL broadband conection?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 12:15:03 AM »

Hi bbnovice,

I would doubt that FTTC installation work would have any direct influence on your service as all the FTTC work is in the new cabinet, except for the positioning of 2 or 4 100 pr link cables inside your existing PCP green cabinet. Note to begin with there will be no actual connections using the new link cables. Occasionally if the PCP is too cramped, then the cabinet is "re-sleeved" by lifting off the old cast iron box and replacing it with a larger new one. If that has been done it's possible that your connections have been disturbed which could cause unreliability.

There are plenty of other causes of unreliability if perhaps your exchange is being upgraded to 21CN or other cabling works are underway anywhere between your house, the PCP and the exchange.

Kind regards,
Walter