Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Tracking down the source of REIN  (Read 24810 times)

MartinGoose

Re: Tracking down the source of REIN
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2011, 04:04:47 PM »

It's the attenuation that I was interested in, to see if you're now getting the best speed you can expect.

As reported by the Thomson it was always 35dB

The 2wire (V5) reports differently in two places.
39.9 dB on the 'Management and Diagnostic Console, Broadband Link – Statistics' page.
32.3 dB on the 'Management and Diagnostic Console, Troubleshooting – DSL Diagnostics' page.

The latter figure is quoted as 'Downstream Atten. at 300kHz'. That may account for the difference. Which one should I use for the Kitz, Maximum adsl speed calculator page <http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php>?

While on the topic, the 'Management and Diagnostic Console, Troubleshooting – DSL Diagnostics' page also shows:
Uncancelled Echo: -2.9 dB Suspicious - check phone filters and alarm

Anything to worry about? I have obviously going over my installation with a 'fine tooth comb' as part of the preparation for dealing with my REIN issues, so I have great faith in my current hardware :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2011, 04:36:41 PM »

The attenuation figure quoted by most routers is some sort of weighted average of the attenuation levels of the different frequencies used. The 300 kHz figure is rarely quoted. From the point of view of the Kitz estimator the average figure is the one you're interested in, so it's ~40 dB according to the 2-wire, or 35 dB according to the Thomson. So, depending on which figure you believe, you're either getting the highest speed you can reasonably expect, or you're not.

Sorry about the whimsical summation, but unfortunately routers do vary in the attenuation figures they report, which makes it hard to draw firm conclusions. I would say that the RF3 probably isn't depressing your speed to any important degree, and may help a bit with stability, so I would suggest you leave it in place.

(Edit) I forgot about the last point. Perhaps the uncancelled echo is caused by the RF3, but that's pure guesswork on my part.
  Eric

MartinGoose

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2011, 04:49:06 PM »

(Edit) I forgot about the last point. Perhaps the uncancelled echo is caused by the RF3, but that's pure guesswork on my part.

I don't think that that is the case, because the uncancelled echo warning was present last year, long before these REIN issues and before ADSL2+ and FTTC arrived here (I have the former but obviously not the latter!)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2011, 07:45:30 PM »

Having recently had an RF3 fitted, it has made a significant improvement to my line stability and, thus, sync speed.

I believe I read somewhere that the loop resistive increase, R, caused by an RF3's insertion therein, is:

2 Ohms > R > 1 Ohm

measurable but essentially negligible. What minor increase in loop attenuation it may cause is, more often than not, insignificant compared to the line stability it will provide and hence sync speed gain.

I guess I'm saying that if I was you, Martin, I'd retain the services of the RF3 and, without mentioning it, mount it properly! :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything