Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Add/ Remove  (Read 6499 times)

scottiesmum

Add/ Remove
« on: August 18, 2011, 09:34:38 AM »

I don't know if anyone else has had this, but my Add/Remove seems to take ages to populate (even with MS Updates not included) but I've found a super little programme that works a treat and gives far more information ....  for anyone interested here it is  .....    :)

http://surl.me/e3g6k

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Add/ Remove
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 10:18:15 AM »

That looks handy........thanks for posting, scottiesmum.. :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:30:17 AM »

That looks very good Kate  :)

Revo uninstaller is also very good

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:34:21 AM by UncleUB »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 10:58:20 AM »

I'm a fan of Revo too, as it can be set to be very thorough.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 04:50:46 PM »

Although I do use Revo sometimes I must admit I'm not one of it's biggest fans.

What's the point of telling it which program to un-install then having to manually select "one-by-one" over 600 registry items before being able to complete the un-install?
(The program being un-installed was TuneUp Utilities)

So thanks Scottiesmum for the link.

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 05:03:11 PM »

Although I do use Revo sometimes I must admit I'm not one of it's biggest fans.

What's the point of telling it which program to un-install then having to manually select "one-by-one" over 600 registry items before being able to complete the un-install?
(The program being un-installed was TuneUp Utilities)

So thanks Scottiesmum for the link.

The point is that Revo offers to remove all traces and registry entries, the other uninstallers leave those items in place.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 05:27:10 PM »

I understand what you are saying but my point is, what's the point of un-installing a program but leaving all the registry items there, bare in mind most of them would mean nothing to most of us, so why not automatically remove them along with the main program files.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's not a good program, just that they could quite easily improve it by pre-selecting all and any registry items that the program usually shows/recommends we also remove.

However:
>> The point is that Revo offers to remove all traces and registry entries, the other uninstallers leave those items in place.

That's debatable.

AdrianH

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 05:50:21 PM »

I understand what you are saying but my point is, what's the point of un-installing a program but leaving all the registry items there, bare in mind most of them would mean nothing to most of us, so why not automatically remove them along with the main program files.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's not a good program, just that they could quite easily improve it by pre-selecting all and any registry items that the program usually shows/recommends we also remove.

However:
>> The point is that Revo offers to remove all traces and registry entries, the other uninstallers leave those items in place.

That's debatable.

The point is you do not want automatic registry editing it can lead to disaster, Redvo offers you different levels of inspection and removal, registry entries are flagged for you to check.

What if they removed entries you required or wanted to keep for future use? Are there registry changes you MUST keep?

Program uninstallers never take out all the files/folders let alone registry entries.

Revo (and others) can be used to search more of the system and remove entries at your own risk.

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 06:23:21 PM »

I'm quite happy with my little find  :)   it appears to do pretty much as the Add Remove thingy did   ...... but the main thing is it loads much faster, and gives a lot more detail.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 06:27:45 PM »

I'm quite happy with my little find  :)   it appears to do pretty much as the Add Remove thingy did   ...... but the main thing is it loads much faster, and gives a lot more detail.

:thumbs: :flower:

AdrianH

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 08:09:46 AM »

You should use what ever you find suits your needs, however >> http://myuninstaller.en.softonic.com/opinion/very-basic-free-uninstaller-301927  << .

I would be more concerned with finding out what is affecting Explorer on your system and causing the lag when opening Add/Remove. On my systems the page loads all installed apps instantly, I have an XP laptop here that I am cleaning trojans from for a neighbour and that has no problem populating the page immediately even with the mess of malware issues it arrived with.

What Antivirus are you using, is something scanning files each time they open?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:13:57 AM by AdrianH »

scottiesmum

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 08:56:26 AM »

AH,   I have Microsoft Essentials  and I do a Malwarebytes check weekly ( no problems to date).      I read the opinions on myuninstaller before installing, and knew that it was basic, but from experience the Add/Remove programme didn't always remove everything.  I'm happy to try Revo, but I'm not happy to decide which leftover bits should go or stay  :'(       

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 09:12:02 AM »

My advice would be to not play around with any registry cleaners.
Getting it wrong can do untold damage to your system..........and theyare mainly ineffective in that removing old keys from the Registry is not going to do much if anything to make your system faster.

If you want to be rid of a program, use that program's built in uninstaller......and then leave well alone.

As to the slow population of the add/remove list......unlikely to be malware ...more likely to be a combination of having a lot of progs. installed combined with slower graphics.

scottiesmum

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 09:34:47 AM »

I'm taking your advice TD......   I think your analysis is correct, so I'll continue to use this new  programme.  :)

Thanks AH quand même ! :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 09:40:13 AM »

I remember a few years ago(when I had Windows ME) :-X  ;D

I used a registry cleaner...........cleaner !!!!........It stripped it down to the bare metal.  :D

Had to have a fresh re install of Windows,never again.
Pages: [1] 2