Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gratuitous gardening spam  (Read 8123 times)

Gratuitous gardening spam
« on: October 16, 2007, 03:24:29 PM »

I've noticed a couple of gardening-type threads (well bugs anyway :P) here so I thought I'd share a couple of tips. I grow chillis as a hobby (yes kitz - really, I kid you not) and there are two products every gardener should have - especially greenhouse gardeners.

1) SB Plant Invigorator. Despite the name it is the ONLY pest control substance that kills spidermites (AKA The Borg). Spidermites are resistant to every single chemical licensed for home/amateur use. EVERY SINGLE ONE so don't believe any chemical spray which says it'll kill spidermite as you will have more chance of becoming Prime Minister than it killing spidermites! www.sbproducts.co.uk It does what it says (it kills the borg by suffocating them) but on no account spray in full sun or when the roots are dry as it'll fry your plant as its a foliar feed too. I can't recommend this product highly enough - its simply phenomenal. The order link is safe too - assuming it still points at some Channel Island flower website?

2) This year has been a disaster for agriculture - even home gardens. The rain/humidity and the current above-average temperatures have allowed fungus spores never before seen in the UK to flourish. Next spring will be dreadful for fungus (leaf-spot/rust etc in case nobody knows what I'm on about). Copper-based fungicides are becoming ineffective and most of the readily available chemical sprays are for ornamental plants only. NEVER EVER EVER be tempted to spray those on plants intended for human consumption as they are highly toxic. The best we have now is a product by Bayer - Systhane Fungus Fighter which the RHS recommends for fruit trees. Make VERY sure it says "Systhane" on it as there are other Bayer "Fungus Fighter" products which are toxic.

I doubt this will get much interest but hey its different to slagging off ISPs :P

I REALLY mean it about SB Plant Invigorator :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Gratuitous gardening spam
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 08:02:11 PM »

lol you surprise me rizla..  although I must admit Im not a chilli eater but I have had other plants that have suffered from spidermites in the past and found it impossible to eradicate them, so its good that there is something that is also enviro friendly.

>> Next spring will be dreadful for fungus (leaf-spot/rust etc in case nobody knows what I'm on about).

I think its already happening, I noticed this weekend that my apple tree is already in blossom!!!
and theres quite a few of my garden plants that are looking unhealthy through leaf spot. 
My pyracantha <sp?>is also covered in that horrible white fur stuff that almost looks like snow.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 08:50:04 PM »

Mildew I assume you mean for the pyracantha? Citrofresh will deal with that one (google it - but it's expensive and organic so best just to use chems on an ornamental) but you are going to have mildew normally at this time of year anyway. What it requires to die naturally (and gets normally) is low humidity* and temperatures below 8C. It's not getting either right now.

*Basic physics again guys - humidity (non-condensing) is determined by temperature. The lower the air temp, the lower the energy in the air and the lower the level of moisture the air can hold.

PS - you can make a damn good living growing chillis, if you grow the right ones. Tepins, last I checked were more expensive than many illegal substances weight for weight - they do take a couple of months to germinate usually though which is difficult to plan for.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 09:04:06 PM »

>> Mildew I assume you mean for the pyracantha?

Yeah probably - I enjoy doing the odd spot of gardening and making things look pretty.  Not much good when it comes to the names of plants or diseases for them though.

I threw a bucket full of soapy (washing up liquid) water over it as suggested by mum which seems to have got rid of most of it... but I guess I need to do something properly. :/

Don't much like chillis I afraid as anything hot tends to disagree with me :/ 
But I know some guys seem to have the attitude of the hotter the better - Ive seen a mate of mine sit there with sweat pouring out of him going "mmmmm"
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 09:29:24 PM »

Your mum is quite right but not in the application :D Try about 2ml of washing-up liquid per litre of (cold) water and spray it on ;) Its not likely to be that effective this year for reasons I've already stated but it will help.

Soap - being alkaline - is a wetting agent in case you didn't know.

I know what you mean re chillis - or what you think you mean. Fresh chillis do taste differently though. Oh and if you do get fed up of macho nonsense then show them this :

This amusing tale appeared in the Irish post January 2001........is it true?
Notes from an inexperienced chilli taster named Frank, who was visiting Texas from the East Coast:
Recently I was honoured to be selected as a judge at a chilli cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment, and I happened to be standing there at the judges' table asking directions to the beer wagon when the call came. I was assured by the other two judges and (Native Texans) that the chilli wouldn't be all that spicy, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted. Here are the scorecards from the event:

Chilli 1: Mike's Maniac Mobster Monster Chilli
Judge one: A little too heavy on tomato. Amusing kick.
Judge two: Nice, smooth tomato flavour. Very Mild
Frank: Holy p00, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy.

Chilli 2: Arthur's Afterburner chilli
Judge one: Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeņo tang.
Judge two: Exciting BBQ flavour, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
Frank: Keep this out of reach of children! I'm not sure what I am supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich manoeuvre. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

Chilli 3: Fred's Famous Burn Down the Barn Chilli
Judge one: Excellent firehouse chilli! Great kick. Needs more beans.
Judge two: A beanless chilli, a bit salty, good use of red peppers.
Frank: Call the EPA, I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the drill by now, get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting drunk from all the beer.

Chilli 4: Bubba's Black Magic
Judge one: Black bean chilli with almost no spice. Disappointing
Judge two: Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chilli
Frank: I felt something scraping across my tongue, but it was unable to taste it, is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills; that ugly bitch is starting to look HOT, just like the nuclear waste I'm eating. Is chilli an aphrodisiac?

Chilli 5: Linda's Legal Lip Remover
Judge one: Meaty strong chilli. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.
Judge two: Chilli using shredded beef; could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.
Frank: My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chilli had given me brain damage, Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from a pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off. It really pees me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks!

Chilli 6: Vera's Very Vegetarian Variety
Judge one: Thin yet bold vegetarian chilli. Good balance of spice and peppers.
Judge two: The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions and garlic. Superb
Frank: My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous sulphuric fumes. I p00 myself when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems to be inclined to stand behind me except Sally, she must be kinkier than I thought. Can't help feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my arse with a snow cone!

Chilli 7: Susan's Screaming Sensation Chilli
Judge one: A mediocre chilli with too much reliance on tinned canned peppers.
Judge two: Ho Hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chilli peppers at the last moment. I should note that I am worried about judge number 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.
Frank: You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a damn thing. I've lost the sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chilli which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. At least during the autopsy they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing it's too painful. I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in though the four inch hole in my stomach.

Chilli 8: Helen's Mount Saint Chilli
Judge one: A perfect ending, this is a nice blend of chilli, safe for all, not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.
Judge two: This final entry is a good, balanced chilli, neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when judge number 3 passed out, fell over and pulled the chilli pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor yank, wonder how he'd have reacted to a really hot chilli?
Frank: ----------Judge 3 unable to report.

That's courtesy of Wilf's site (www.chillisgalore.co.uk) which I thoroughly recommend to you all. I'm not telling you who I am on there though :P

Edit - sorry about language in it - I only just realised  :blush:

Edit 2- even with the dodgy language it's worth it. Our kids fell about laughing when they read it and they probably hear much worse at school.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 09:46:41 PM by rizla »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 11:05:47 AM »

Edit - sorry about language in it - I only just realised 
Edit 2- even with the dodgy language it's worth it....

What dodgy language?    "poo?"  nothing wrong with that!

Yes it was funny and I laughed. It was topical and in view of the context no harm done at all.
Its when people try push the limits etc or bypass stuff that it causes problems.

*Sometimes swear filters have their uses   ;)

-----

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 12:31:22 PM »

Heh it didn't say that last night  :P

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 03:45:45 PM »

>> Heh it didn't say that last night

Really?

Someone must have changed something today this morning then ;)

btw been out painting fences today (sun was shining) and whilst out there I noticed that the soapy water thing seems to have done the trick with the mould stuff on the pyracantha.  However if it does come back I'll try spraying it rather than tipping a bowl full of water over it :)

Talking of soapy water - must go get in the shower since I'm covered in bits of leaves and fence paint :(

-----

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 07:37:17 PM »

Kitz, in the vineyards here they use (Bouillie Bordelaise) Bordeaux Mixture to stop any mildew, I use it on our own vine and also on the rest of the plants, including, roses, geraniums and all summer potted flowers, even the lemon tree gets a shower of it;  it controls Blight, Leaf Spot, Downy Mildew, Black Rot and other listed diseases.  Just be careful after handling, it is poisonous and keep  it away from ponds as it effect aquatic life.   Our Westie, Scotty,  has never had any problems with any that might have dribbled onto the grass, as it is is VERY diluted, so no problem for the cats in it's diluted form. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 08:07:42 PM »

>> (Bouillie Bordelaise) Bordeaux Mixture

Had to google lol  - I'd not heard of that before - and there was me thinking "oooh kate is going to suggest putting some wine in too"  :lol:
like I say I like making things look pretty, and I'll have a go at stuff, but ive never really got into the technical side of any gardening.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions - will keep an eye on it and if it comes back then ill have to try something else.
-----

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 09:59:47 PM »

The Bordeaux Mixture looks to be copper-based and sounds very much like Murphy traditional copper fungicide (which you can find easily in the UK). If it comes in little sachets and is a blue powder then its the same thing (or very close to it). I haven't found it effective on leaf spot fungus this year unfortunately.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 10:06:10 PM »

Ive heard of Murphy's before

I still think "my" version with a splash or two of bordeaux in sounds much more appealing...  ;D

-----

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 10:20:53 PM »

I'm mulling over testing out some Trichoderma Harzianum* on some plants. It won't kill an active fungal infection but in theory it should inoculate the plant from future fungal infections. The only downside I can see is that because its not exactly mobile it'd need to be sprayed on new leaf growth so could become quite a chore - then again you can spray as much of it on as you like as its not toxic. Need to read up a bit more about it first - plenty of time now anyway as colder weather seems to be on the way.

*a predatory fungus which is beneficial to roots and can be used on leaves. It effectively kills other fungal spores before they can infect the plant.

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 11:07:10 AM »

Update on Trichoderma :

It works AND it kills active leaf spot fungus infections faster than you'd believe possible. Applying it IS a problem though as if you use a hand-held sprayer then the pressure shreds the Trichoderma (that took a while to work out) so you need to use one of those "pump-up" sprayers with low pressure.

Is it worth the hassle? I don't know. Maybe if you're heavily into organic growing or its a slow growing plant then it is worthwhile spraying.

It is certainly worthwhile putting it into soil/compost when you repot as the increased rate of root growth is very noticeable. I wouldn't put it in if you're overwintering plants as they'll outgrow their pots  :doh:
* rizla wanders off to prune some roots

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 02:10:44 PM »

Will it deal with black spot on roses? I've got one beautiful aromatic climbing rose by the front door, which suffers from black spot rather badly, and I won't use any *icides in my garden.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2