Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: FTTC: comment in PC Pro  (Read 18870 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: FTTC: comment in PC Pro
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 08:07:23 PM »

If you mean has it been mentioned ?? Yes it has.

There is (to my knowledge) no plans to upgrade EO sites as yet. This is just my thoughts though, and things do change at quite a pace these days ?

If they don't make EO areas fully FTTP, then the only possibility I can envisage, is to pick up the individual cables leaving the Exchange, and find a particular point on that run to cut into that cable and install a Cab of sorts ??

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 12:41:29 PM »

The NGA Enquiries team at OpenReach  kindly replied to my query about SCPs and FTTC:

Thank you for your enquiry about fibre broadband. The erection of the fibre cabinets is usually the first task in the upgrade program and it can still be quite some time before the service goes live.

With regards to having service fed via an SCP, it is not usually a problem. However, fibre broadband does have a usable working limit of around 1.5Km, therefore if the distance from the PCP from which connection to the fibre cabinet is made, through the SCP to your premise exceeds 1.5Km you may not be able to order fibre broadband.

In addition, the equipment which monitors lines and assesses line length sometimes does not recognise SCP’s that are in place and, will not return a figure by which the ordering mechanism for fibre broadband can evaluate if your line is capable of supporting the service. If your order gets rejected, you may need to escalate via your service provider.

Regards
NGA Enquiries
Email:-  nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk|
Web: www.openreach.co.uk

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 12:46:26 PM »

I can fully understand them 'covering their asses' with the "1.5Km" quote, but I would say it's nearer the 2Km mark.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 07:43:05 PM »

Just a quick comment from The Cattery.

Is it a definite fact that the line from Asbo-land actually passes through one of the SCPs? Surely (to me, knowing the EU and exchange locations) the D-side pair runs direct to the PCP?  ???
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 08:49:57 PM »

The D+E side is ~1600 metres (imperial equivalent: 5280 feet).  D-side is about 750 metres by Google Maps.

Near end (w.r.t. to EU) deflections on TDR are obvious, as is the DSL transceiver in the exchange. There's a blip at ~40 metres (DP on the pole) and a clear deflection at about 150 metres which is close to where the SCP is sited which is what alerted me to it.

The SCP is quite possibly not part of this circuit, but with a D side of 750 metres and some difficult terrain in between, including a river bridge, it seems likely, just because of those geographics, that the circuit does pass through the SCP.

I did once ask Openreach engineers when they were attending to a line fault about the routing through the SCP. But since they knew the fault was on or near the drop wire, they didn't have time to consult infrastructure records for a definitive answer.

I hope the circuit doesn't pass through the SCP, to be honest, since those TDR deflections probably manifest as reflection losses with xDSL, but if it's not the SCP then it's something else on the line that's equally undesirable too!

cheers, a

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 09:00:33 PM »

Near end (w.r.t. to EU) deflections on TDR are obvious, as is the DSL transceiver in the exchange. There's a blip at ~40 metres (DP on the pole) and a clear deflection at about 150 metres which is close to where the SCP is sited which is what alerted me to it.
I hope the circuit doesn't pass through the SCP, to be honest, since those TDR deflections probably manifest as reflection losses with xDSL, but if it's not the SCP then it's something else on the line that's equally undesirable too!
Could those TDR blips represent a change in cable poundage at those points?  BS would know better than me.  If so there might not be a lot that can be done about it.  However, are you saying that you think there's an unterminated reflecting bridged tap at the SCP (or whatever else is at that point!)?  If so, then I would like to hope that a BS-style xDSL installation would identify that and fix it!   ;D (you can only live in hope!)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 09:06:27 PM »

Absolutely they could be a poundage change, Colin. I think Asbo was slightly cheated by the other engineers, if they were working on a line fault on his circuit ? The full routing details are given with the task, and most (if not all) engineers will write these details down.

If the guys were working on another EU's fault report, then I-POP (Performance management) is all consuming and I can't blame them for the 'fob off', harsh as that may seem ??  :)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2013, 09:31:17 PM »

Yeah, it was work on this line.  A tree branch near the DP had rubbed through the dropwire causing a short.  It's a while ago, but the conversation with the engineer went something like this:  "does the circuit pass through that SCP over there?"  "dunno mate."  "whereabouts is my PCP?"  "god knows mate."   and before you knew it, it was time for tea!  No, i'm teasing: they did a good job, in an awful place - cherry picker in the main road - traffic flow control etc - and found time to chat for a few minutes afterwards, but they couldn't locate either the PCP or the SCP (if it is mine).

cheers, a

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 09:40:20 PM »

Could those TDR blips represent a change in cable poundage at those points?  BS would know better than me.  If so there might not be a lot that can be done about it.  However, are you saying that you think there's an unterminated reflecting bridged tap at the SCP (or whatever else is at that point!)?  If so, then I would like to hope that a BS-style xDSL installation would identify that and fix it!   ;D (you can only live in hope!)

Yes, blips from the poundage change, or the untwisting of the pairs, changing the LC ratio.  Something to cause an impedance mismatch.  Maybe not a bridged tap, or hopefully not.  Do they exist outside north America where everyone seems to have at least one bridged tap on their line!  Americans, eh?! Tsk!  Always gotta have something that the rest of us can't have!    With the soaring price of copper even one bridge tap is too much for the bean-counters at Openreach!

cheers, a

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 10:05:19 PM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . . I would be tempted to connect my oscillator to the pair at the NTE5/A and then visit the suspect SCP to see if I could pick up the audio tone with my whiskers or tail. If the tracing signal was not evident, I would then plod off to the PCP and check there.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »

Hehe.  Before that can be done, we might need a helping hand from Fingers Jenkins, to blow open the SCP door!

"Fingers" Jenkins, legendary safe cracker

cheers, a
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:50:12 PM by asbokid »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »

If you mean has it been mentioned ?? Yes it has.

There is (to my knowledge) no plans to upgrade EO sites as yet. This is just my thoughts though, and things do change at quite a pace these days ?

If they don't make EO areas fully FTTP, then the only possibility I can envisage, is to pick up the individual cables leaving the Exchange, and find a particular point on that run to cut into that cable and install a Cab of sorts ??

Is actually quite possible, remembering BT want to get rid of exchanges eventually, so EO lines at some point would be moved to somethign else anyway.

My gut guess is either original plan was to FTTP EO lines and may still be the plan.  Or as you said put a new cabinet outside the exchange for FTTC service.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything