Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: FTTC: comment in PC Pro  (Read 18666 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC: comment in PC Pro
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 07:50:14 AM »

Quickie! Do the numbers within {} in the SAU NODE ID column refer to the PCP?

If they do then the telephone lines are well in excess of 100, which I think someone remarked was the capacity of the FTTC cab attached to cab 12.

I have a feeling I am going up my luop and getting something wrong :o :D

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 08:39:37 AM »

Hi Renluop,

The PCP number has a letter p before it.

Note that BT have two sizes of PCP now, although they started with only the large one.
Around here BT install either 2 or 4 100 pr cables providing a capacity of 100 or 200 FTTC services.

Note also that there are a significant number of errors, particularly when a double entry is necessary where a postcode is shared between two PCPs.

Kind regards,
Walter

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 09:25:38 AM »

is not mine but the FTTC cab attached to can 12 is externally identical. That would supply how many services?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 09:57:18 AM »

Hi Renluop,

That picture is of the smaller type with a capacity of 100 installed services. You will find pictures of the inside of one here:-

http://www.trefor.net/2011/07/15/fttc-the-inside-scoop-cabinets-as-you-have-never-seen-them-before/

The larger type cabinet can be seen here and has both the BTW and the BT O doors on the front, as opposed to the smaller one with the BT O IDC door on the right hand side.

Kind regards,
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 03:46:55 AM »

I am yet to find anybody with a BT FTTC service from a PCP that is fed through a SCP.
Is there anybody out there who knows they are so connected ?

We will be fed through an SCP and a PCP when FTTC rolls into town.

Or will we? !

There is conflicting advice on whether lines served by an SCP and a PCP can receive FTTC services.

See [1] and [2], for example:

Any definitive answers from the forum experts, please?!

cheers, a

[1] http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96231.msg811487.html#msg811487
[2] http://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/New-phone-line-can-I-ask-to-be-connected-to-specific-cabinet/m-p/513713/highlight/true#M17685

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 11:02:21 AM »

If the FTTC service is supplied from the exisiting PCP then I see no problem as the SCP is merely a glorified joint box.
Joint boxes are where lines are split out from the D side to run up the pole from where there are split to each house (The distribution point). So you could argue that the underground joint box is merely a simple form of above ground SCP in that only one multicore cable is being taken out from the X00pr D-side rather than several running in different directions as per a SCP.

If however someone is suggesting the SCP becomes in effect a PCP and is FTTC'd with its own cabinet then I see all sorts of problems with PSD masks conflicting in the parent PCP and the child SCP.......uggggggggh.  Yeah I can see this might not be a good idea!

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 08:50:52 PM »

An innocent/ ignorant (delete as wished ;))

We have a green box (which IIRC BS said was a pillar)at the edge of my estate, approx mid way from my house and the PCP. Were I to get fibre (for discussion  not intended) the distance from the PCP would mean an estimated speed of 25MB/s only. Theoretically would replacing copper with fibre between the PCP and the pillar be a possible way to increase speeds to those like me are some distance from the PCP and fibre cab?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 04:31:43 AM »

I am yet to find anybody with a BT FTTC service from a PCP that is fed through a SCP.
Is there anybody out there who knows they are so connected ?

We will be fed through an SCP and a PCP when FTTC rolls into town.

Or will we? !

There is conflicting advice on whether lines served by an SCP and a PCP can receive FTTC services.

See [1] and [2], for example:

Any definitive answers from the forum experts, please?!

cheers, a

[1] http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96231.msg811487.html#msg811487
[2] http://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/New-phone-line-can-I-ask-to-be-connected-to-specific-cabinet/m-p/513713/highlight/true#M17685

:hmm:  Hmm . . . Knowing where both you and the telephone exchange that serves you are located, I am suspicious that the SCP (whose photographic image you have sent to The Cattery) is anything to do with your line. I have a peculiar sensation in the whiskers that makes me suspect that you might actually be connected by an EO line.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 08:01:54 AM »

BTW pic is att for clarification

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 08:38:43 AM »

That's a nice rear view-ish photograph of a cabinet at the junction of Croft Road and Gorley Road, Ringwood, Hampshire.  ::)

Other than that, I don't know what else to say!  :-\

If you were to photograph it from all four sides and then let us see the images, we may be able to give you some idea of its purpose.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:53:28 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 03:12:52 PM »

An innocent/ ignorant (delete as wished ;))

We have a green box (which IIRC BS said was a pillar)at the edge of my estate, approx mid way from my house and the PCP. Were I to get fibre (for discussion  not intended) the distance from the PCP would mean an estimated speed of 25MB/s only. Theoretically would replacing copper with fibre between the PCP and the pillar be a possible way to increase speeds to those like me are some distance from the PCP and fibre cab?

Hmm ?? Is that me, renluop ?? As in the BS bit ??

Aside from that, I've fit FTTC with 'pillars' involved and the actual fibre connection is done at the Cab, not the pillar. As somebody has stated, the 'pillar' is in fact a glorified joint.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 08:10:42 PM »

Front as posted long ago here

Not the one that baffles brains, but a wooly one or strong beer ;D

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 09:14:13 PM »

Thanks c6em and Black Sheep for the reassurance.

I couldn't see why an SCP should preclude FTTC.  Perhaps there might be crosstalk issues from the unravelling of all the pair twists on the pillars, but not enough to rule out FTTC altogether.

But it is definitely a line served by a PCP.     BT wholesale DSL checker [1] lists it as being served by Cabinet #3, some 800 metres away....

Click for full size

And the SCP in question, about 100 metres from the pole-based Distribution Point, is labelled 3/2....

Click for full size

cheers, a

[1] http://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:57:06 PM by asbokid »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 09:39:06 AM »

Asbo has indeed clarified the situation, by way of those photographs.

The one labelled 3/2 indicates that this is 'Pillar 2' off PCP3. There has to be at least another pillar (3/1) off the same PCP. Round my way, some of the pillars were put underground, rather than overland, as they were relatively left untouched. I think the fact a lot were encapsulated in an asbestos shell, made it a more cost-effective decision to put the 'joint' UG, rather than re-shell them ??

The latter is just my own thoughts. :)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 05:14:16 PM »

EO lines; has this been picked up before?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything