Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: FTTC: comment in PC Pro  (Read 18015 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
FTTC: comment in PC Pro
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:41:06 PM »

I found this reader comment in PC Pro
Code: [Select]
Exchange based VDSL ?
Another factor is that lines fed directly from the exchange, or from a junction point that isn't a cabinet, won't get service either.
On directly fed lines, would I be right to assume their speeds would be as fast as can already? Or is it another tech issue?

What is a junction point in the current context; one of those little unnumbered cabinets sometimes seen at the edge of estates?

I am interested because the cabinet that Trefor.net said was mine ( before BT Or got awkward) is due for enabling at year end. Certain known numbers on that cabinet have a date and speed estimate, but not those on our little estate, fed from one of the little green boxes.

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC: comment in PC Pro
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 10:48:05 AM »

Another rubbish thread from old Renluop then?! :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 10:52:42 AM »

Sorry renluop, I'm sure you're not being ignored deliberately. :)

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the subject.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 09:33:57 PM »

On directly fed lines, would I be right to assume their speeds would be as fast as can already?

The attainable speed will be due to line attenuation, as is the case with indirectly fed lines. The advantage of a directly fed line is (a) its shortness (b) lesser number of joints throughout its length.

What is a junction point in the current context; one of those little unnumbered cabinets sometimes seen at the edge of estates?

I very much doubt it. I am not sure what the author of the "PC Pro" article means by the phrase "lines fed . . . from a junction point that isn't a cabinet". Perhaps you could send an e-mail to ask for clarification?

I am interested because the cabinet that Trefor.net said was mine ( before BT Or got awkward) is due for enabling at year end. Certain known numbers on that cabinet have a date and speed estimate, but not those on our little estate, fed from one of the little green boxes.

I have a copy of the (big) CSV format file that BT Wholesale allowed to slip into public view earlier this year. If you would like to send me a PM with details of your postcode, the PCP cabinet number, through which you believe your line passes, and a Google Map / Street View reference for your "little green box", I will see what information (if any) I can obtain. ;)

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 06:41:11 PM »

I would think if your on an e/o (exchange only) line then the equivalent of a cab for you is in fact the exchange.
Once the lines spider out from the exchange far enough the next stage Is some higher pair cable running out a distance into a cab, then the localised lines to that cab would spider out from there just as the e/o lines did from the exchange.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 09:52:09 AM »

Hi Ezzer :)
The OP was out of curiosity. I must have feline ancestors from Egypt in pharaoh way times. :D

I am not near the exchange!

@burakkucat

Having other troubles, will get back to you asap
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:54:51 AM by renluop »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 07:56:24 PM »

I have a copy of the (big) CSV format file that BT Wholesale allowed to slip into public view earlier this year. If you would like to send me a PM with details of your postcode, the PCP cabinet number, through which you believe your line passes, and a Google Map / Street View reference for your "little green box", I will see what information (if any) I can obtain. ;)
Map attached, showing cabs' locations. PM coming.  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 05:54:37 AM »

My apologies for the delayed reply. b*cat spent most of yesterday asleep on his bed. :sleep:

On searching for your postcode in the April copy of the CSV format file, I see the following information --

SAU_ID          Name          Postcode   SAU_NODE_ID     Exchange   Percent   Uplift   Phase   Deployed   FTTC or FTTP
                                                                                        Only Flag    Lines

STRINGW      RINGWOOD   xxxx xxx   {STRINGW}{p12}          0            100       5.41      6a          Yes            FTTC

The SAU_ID is the ID Code for the exchange.
The SAU_NODE_ID is the ID Code and Number for the PCP.
The Exchange Only Flag signifies if the lines go directly to the exchange. 0 = no, 1 = yes.
The Percent Lines indicates how many lines for the Postcode are connected via the PCP.
The Uplift is for marketing use. A typical user may see, on average, a 5.41 fold increase in download speed.

By use of Google Maps, Street View, and cross referencing what I could see with the map you provided (I've re-uploaded it in a cropped format), I inspected the little green cabinet. Unfortunately I am unable to form an opinion as to its purpose. Could you possibly take a set of pictures (all four sides) when you next are passing it?

I then proceeded to PCP 12 and inspected it. All I could see was that it was a standard PCP of a recent generation. Again, a set of current pictures would be useful to see.

What I could see was things as they were when Google's camera car toured your area and not, of course, as current. :no:

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 10:35:24 AM »

Thanks for that! :) I'll get round to phots idc. The little Xs were thelarge and small cabs locations; now what could "little x" possibly remind me of? ;) some thing to do with bras profiles :-\?.

Is there a link to that csv file, please?  What I am seeing with use of the checker and Royal Mail Postcode Finder is interestingly confusing.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 06:18:52 PM »

I think there is a link to that (now out of date) document somewhere in Google-land but I must warn you that it is around 48 MB in size for the raw data file.

Ah, found this link, which might be useful enough for you. :)

Thinking about what I saw with the aid of Google's Steet View, the little green cabinet could be a SCP (a secondary cross-connection cabinet). If that is the case, just consider it as yet another location for joints in your D-side cable . . . and all that implies. ;)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 09:02:34 AM »

Gentlefolk,

I am yet to find anybody with a BT FTTC service from a PCP that is fed through a SCP.
Is there anybody out there who knows they are so connected ?

Kind regards,
Walter

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 09:06:37 PM »

This is the small cabinet I wrote of

I have an increasing suspicion that my road and a number of others to wards the north of the estate are not on PCP12, although on the same 6A roll out, They are those overlaid in pink. Perhaps that is why we are getting the "not available in your area yet" treatment. The engineer who dealt with a battery fault also surprised me with the direction my road was served from

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 07:07:25 PM »

I now reckon that I am not on cab 12. Reasoning is thus.

Both Shaw and Ross Roads from the link provided by Walter are equidistant from the exchange. Given their positions ( see map) I think that unlikely.. Then to the West of Gorley Road is North Poulner Road, in which only the western end is shown as available to FTTC.

Next is shoes on to find that cab. Is it true though that some lines  do not go through a cabinet ( not those direct to exchange)?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 07:51:25 PM »

Lines that do not pass through a PCP are classed as "Exchange Only" lines.

A line without a cabinet somewhere throughout its length is thus an "Exchange Only" line and cannot, therefore, receive a FTTC service! ::)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 07:51:41 PM »

Hi Renluop,

I'm not aware of any lines missing a PCP unless they are relatively close to the exchange.

I suggest you double check the PCP to Postcodes listing, using the Post Office post code finder to list all post codes that interest you and then search the database for them all.
This is not infallible if either a postcode is listed twice to two PCPs or if there are errors - of which there are many minor ones.

However, except for poor General Disquiet that we know is on a SCP but won't be listed as there's no BT commitment there, I've not come across any SCP line.
It's probably most unlikely, but is there anybody out there who positively knows their line is fed from a SCP AND has FTTC enabled and has a working VDSL service ?

Can RP add anything else ?

Kind regards,
Walter
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything