Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: FireFox 6  (Read 12102 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
FireFox 6
« on: August 16, 2011, 04:46:53 PM »

FireFox 6 is available now..Help>about Firefox>check for updates

AdrianH

Re: FireFox 6
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:09:55 AM »

Firefox has breathed it's last on any machine I run, the constant updates and messing with addons for what is still a poor browser are simply beyond stupid.

Their next trick is to make the version number invisible .......... all those at Bugzilla that said how stupid this was were told that they would have posting rights removed if they commented further , so Mozilla turns dictator and widdles all over it's users.

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Mozilla-plans-to-hide-Firefox-version-numbers-1323830.html

IE9 is now proven to be far more secure than Firefox and Googles browser for those that like it is superior to Mozilla offerings.

http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/supersite-blog-39/internet-explorer2/internet-explorer-9-is-safest-web-browser-nsi-says-140224
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:54:57 AM by AdrianH »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 06:40:35 AM »

I agree about the constant updates with FF and all the  incompatibility issues with each release,its becoming a joke.

I am using Chrome more and more and like it very much,and also like Opera as well.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 07:43:12 AM »

Yes, it is a joke, but FF is the only browser I'm fully comfortable with. I've given the other main contenders good trials, but I always end up bumping into some little niggle which I can't work around. Usually it's font handling or smooth scrolling.

There shouldn't be an issue with addon incompatibility, because Mozilla guaranteed a little while back that the addon API wouldn't change from v4, so addons would continue to work with later versions. The problem is that addons have a configuration file which specifies the min and max versions of FF that the addon will work with. If the addon author hasn't updated this file, then the addon will stop working when FF gets beyond the specified max version. In most cases you should be able to edit this file to make the addon work.

The configuration file is called install.rdf in the Linux version, and I guess it's the same for Windows. Each addon has its own folder with its own version of install.rdf. The section to edit looks like this:

Code: [Select]
    <!-- Firefox -->
    <em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
        <em:minVersion>3.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>6.*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>

You'll see I've changed the maxVersion value (between the > and <) to 6.* so this addon will now work for all 6.x versions.

I've done this with a couple of addons, and all the ones I use now work.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 07:49:28 AM »

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 08:33:46 AM »

I too like FF   ..... I know my way around it and feel confident with it.   I've tried others but like Eric, I've found things that I just couldn't sort out, and didn't want to be bothered with. 

I understand that some add-ons are not up to date due to their author being behind with updates, I'm not sure I'm as brave as Eric, but I'm going to look at that rdf thing  ......  :'(     I'll more than likely be leaving it alone though  ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 08:39:32 AM »

This was post with reference to Google Toolbar

This is quoted from Mozilla forums:

The old installed version of Google Toolbar has a file named install.rdf that declares the max supported version of Firefox to be 4.0.

To fix this just open the install.rdf file with notepad and change maxVersion from 4.0.* to 6.* (or later - I put 8.* in mine and am now waiting for an explosion..LOL)

Now, in order to find the correct install.rdf file do the following:

Go to folder : C:\Users\[your user name here]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[sometext].default and search for the install.rdf file

Windows search will find many install.rdf files (one for each addon you have installed on firefox) so make sure that you find the install.rdf that has the line

Google Toolbar for Firefox in it. For this install.rdf file just rename the max version as stated above , restart firefox..and voila! Google Toolbar is back and fully functional!

I followed the instructions but when notepad opened it all looked a lot jumbled up text,so I didn't bother as I wasn't sure what to actually change.

PS........Have resigned from my position as chief guru  :D

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 08:43:14 AM »

PS........Have resigned from my position as chief guru  :D

:o         ......     you are not getting a bonus Unc    :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 09:53:07 AM »

I followed the instructions but when notepad opened it all looked a lot jumbled up text,so I didn't bother as I wasn't sure what to actually change.

The .rdf files are a particular type of file (it stands for Resource Description Framework if you're interested) and some text editors may jumble up the formatting so it looks a mess. You would probably get a better result with a different text editor, or even with MS Word, but if you use the latter make sure that you save it as text and not as a Word document.
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 12:39:23 PM »

I have not been happy with the latest incarnations of Firefox and have stuck with 3.6.18 for some time now. I know it's funny ways and all my add-ons and tweaks work. It is probably a sign of age but I see much software updates just change for change's sake. In Microsoft's case it is understandably driven by commercial and security reasons but my feeling is if it's not broke don't fix it.
Tony

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 06:16:31 PM »

I wouldn't get too comfy with Firefox 6  :-X

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 06:37:45 PM »

Quite ridiculous isn't it, when in reality they are only minor version upgrades. V4 was different from 3.6, and merited the new number. We should now be at 4.2 or thereabouts.
  Eric

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »

I've just upgraded to Firefox 6 and since upgrading I have found that I have to enter my password into various sites that I've registered with !

I think it may have something to do with cookies ?

Any one else get this problem ?
Mike

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 10:27:22 PM »

I found with an earlier upgrade that my stored passwords were forgotten, and I had to enter them again, but I only had to do so once and they were remembered from then on.

Of course, you should check in the preferences dialog --> security tab to make sure that the option to save passwords is still checked.
  Eric

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 10:30:32 PM »

I found with an earlier upgrade that my stored passwords were forgotten, and I had to enter them again, but I only had to do so once and they were remembered from then on.

Of course, you should check in the preferences dialog --> security tab to make sure that the option to save passwords is still checked.
It was.

The option "Remember passwords for sites" was checked.
Mike
Pages: [1] 2 3