Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Great - not!  (Read 11724 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Great - not!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 12:52:51 AM »

Thanks for the info on the Be lines- theyre prolly best left alone as is.

>> Thats a 24Mbps line if ever I saw one

I know - and why I was so peed off when Be got took over and O2 stopped the roll out.  We had a date

Be Unlimited has set an enablement date of 31/07/2007
Be Unlimited has updated the enablement date to 31/08/2007 (Was previously 31/07/2007)

It was one of those that was pulled, they got as far as the neighbouring exchange which did get enabled

Be:  Enabled as of 31/07/2007

How sickening or what?

atm dunno what to do -
I know what you think of PN... but can say I am happy with my connection, the exchange is playing ball for once (prolly all the heavies moved to the sky dslam judging by how quick it filled up) and most of the time I can get 7Mbps.  I dont do p2p.  Usenet if I want anything Im happy to schedule.  Believe it or not the way they do things really does work for my usage pattern better than Entas ALT would.
Zen - well I'd be caught out by their hard cap on occasions and besides they dont do a reasonably priced "20:1" for the upstream.
Ive seen Sky connections on this exchange but theyre all the 8Mb ones not the 16Mbers so dunno how it performs.  I dont have a sky tv package anyhow.
Easynet is probably about the only thing worth considering but Im not keen on a 12 month contract.
However if I knew there was a backdoor like you seem to have got in by last week for the 22Mb then yeah probably I would have.

So my general thoughts are this connection performs as it should I dont worry about what I use (havent moved over to the BBYW accounts so I get the longer offpeak) and it works for what I want and do so why rock the boat.

I think its only the egotistical in me that wants to say looooooook  I can download at 22+Mbps cause I know its gonna be one of the few lines in the UK that could cope well with it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 07:51:58 AM »

Be changed the enable date on our exchange seven times. I'd just about given up on them when they did enable it.

Re Plusnet - I don't really think about them now and I have no clue at all what their packages are like. My problem with them was always the management and their somewhat cavalier attitude to the law/customers rights (I'm trying to be kind here). That attitude (IMHO) permeated the whole company by around 2005/2006. Someone mentioned recently that they didn't even bother registering under the data protection act until last year? If that's true then it sums them up perfectly. I'd hope that now BT own them they behave in a more reasonable manner but frankly I don't care whether they do or not - once bitten twice shy and all that :)

Re 22Mbps etc - Oh you'd get used to the speed, have no doubt about that :)

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 11:54:23 AM »

Back online at :

Downstream : 21365 kbps
Upstream : 764kbps

That's with a margin of 6dB down and 13dB up. Looks interleaved from latency (haven't changed version of DMT tool yet). Speed looks reasonable - I am downloading the headers (24million of them) from a.b.tv to test and that's coming down at 1.6-1.9MB/s. I need to up the margin to 8.5dB and then see if I can get UKOnline to drop interleaving to a depth of 4. That should give me 18.8Mbps with very few CRC errors (1 or 2 per hour).

Dunno whether its the Netgear router (found it lying outside the door an hour ago) or UKOnline but the router takes a fair old while to sort out any routing. Looks OK for now anyway.

Spose I better deal with Be now. Deep joy  ::)

Erk the DMT tool for the Netgear DG834GT is pretty bad - no bit loading graph so there goes the ability to look at active, transient noise. I'm puzzled about the interleave depth though - its set to 64 and I'm syncing at nearly 20Mbps on a 9dB profile (at least the DMT tool does that :) ). I don't see how that's possible - surely a 64 bit depth implies about 3Mbps of error correction bandwidth being reserved at that sort of speed? Kitz? See when Be dropped the depth to 4 then that's roughly what I got. I went from 18Mbps to 21.5Mbps or so.  ??? ??? ???

If its going to sync at 20Mbps on 9dB interleaved then I don't think I'll bother requesting they drop the interleaving. Nobody here plays twitch games anyway - Clare comes closest with LOTRO but I think anything under 100ms on that is OK.

All very different to Be I have to say. Oh and no Level3 to be seen anywhere <me does happy dance>  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Edit (again) - The SNR graph on the Netgear (via DMT) looks very smooth. It really isn't like that. We'll see what tonight brings I guess. Maybe the Speedtouch 780WL is a pile of junk (as I suspected from the start) and the Netgear is superb - although that hasn't been my prior experience of Netgear kit.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 12:50:32 PM by rizla »

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 01:52:23 PM »

Hmm it looks like its a reporting issue rather than anything technical. The Netgear reports close to 100% RCO with an interleave of 64 while the Speedtouch reported around 80% RCO so it looks like the Netgear "counts" the error correction and the Speedtouch doesn't. I'm probably just rediscovering the wheel here :P It has 1.02.04 firmware so there is an update available. Then again if it works..... :)

Anyway I think I'll stay on this service rather than switch to their new packages - then again if they put me on 16Mbps, interleave 4 and 1Mbps up then the margin would be such that I wouldn't need DMT. Then again never say never. Decisions decisions.

Two good things however - no Level3 and DNS that doesn't timeout/send malformed requests half the time.

PS - yes I know about OpenDNS but its only a partial answer if it means you have to go further along a Level3 route (I did) to get to the DNS. Level3 transit on Be runs at about 3-5% packet loss continuously and the further you go along the route the worse the issue becomes. Ironically I found I could get to the US OpenDNS servers faster and more reliably than the UK ones. Until recently that is when US transit has been dreadful. I couldn't get more than 100kB/s off usenetserver.com on Be this morning regardless of what route I forced.

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 09:39:52 AM »

Replying to myself but meh :P

The DG834GT doesn't seem as good at keeping the connection as the 780WL was. Tweaked the SNR up a bit more so its actually running a tad slower than the Be connection was. If it loses signal/frame again tonight* then I'm going to blow 6.1 firmware into the 780WL and see whether that helps.

*I know what causes it - local noise - but the equipment concerned can't easily be replaced. The noise is conducted (via the mains) rather than radiated so I guess I could try building a band-stop filter if I get sufficiently bored/hacked off :)

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 10:31:18 PM »

Sorted thanks to DMT Tool :

Ping statistics for 212.134.11.137:
    Packets: Sent = 45193, Received = 45104, Lost = 89 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 489ms, Average = 33ms

That's 12+ hours of pings to the first hop from a laptop connected via wireless.

18.5Mbps down, 768kbps up.

I do have to say that compared to the 780WL the DG834GT is a pile of junk in reporting terms. It has taken 11 resyncs to get this right - damn good job I'm not on IPStream eh :D

I can't get reliable margins etc out of the DG834GT unless I reboot the thing between tests - yeah I know it resyncs but if you resync using DMT then the reported margins stay the same  ??? It is really really bad compared to the 780WL - could just be the DMT Tool but I don't think so.

I'll try to summon up the will to blow the ST780WL with standard firmware/profiles this weekend. Its half-term here next week so messing about with routers could prove unpopular. Then again I'm sure there's something in their rooms that needs cleaning/throwing out/sterilising which if past experience is an indicator will take AGES :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 04:11:15 PM »

Not digested everything rizla as Im in speedreading catchup mode..   but I think If I were you Id keep things as they are for a few days and see how it copes for a week.. and after a firware upgrade for the netgear.  You can always drop down to the lower speeds... but you can bet your bottom $ that youd find it much more difficult to go back up now that theyve changed the packages.

>> 18.5Mbps down, 768kbps up

not too shabby :)

>> damn good job I'm not on IPStream eh

too damn right - or we'd be hearing the screaming from here.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 08:45:12 PM »

Hmmm. This Netgear router is junk. Dropped the line again and now the DMT Tool won't work. Rebooted it, powered on/off. No difference - just keeps saying that there's no server running on the port.

Time for it to go back in the box I think.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 09:19:35 PM »

presumably you remembered to enable the telnet server http://router/setup.cgi?todo=debug ? (if you still have to do that with the GT...)
Chris

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 09:28:05 PM »

I didn't because I don't remember having to do that the first time. Tried it now and it still says no server running  :wall: I think I'll be deploying my re-education tool (hammer) soon :P

As an aside is there really no way of saving changes (such as SNR) so they survive a reboot on this thing? If the answer to that is no then I'm going to have to use the Speedtouch.

Edit - enabled "remote management" in the web interface and now the DMT Tool works. Turn it off and the DMT Tool still works. Seriously weird  ???
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 09:36:53 PM by rizla »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2007, 09:36:02 PM »

Oh well, was worth a shot! Pity it still doesn't work - maybe a factory reset is the next thing?

Presumably the author of the tool will have tried all sorts of things, I would have thought if he hasn't found a way then there probably isn't a way... the tool only just works on the GT anyway doesn't it due to Netgear's very incomplete command shell.
Chris

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 09:38:52 PM »

Yeah there doesn't seem to be a lot in /usr/sbin - Netgear (as usual) skimping on memory by the looks of things :(

Change of subject to BRILLIANT
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2007, 10:29:37 AM »

I'm stunned.  :o

SRA* works if you enable it via the DMT tool.  :dance:

There was me messing about with margins as well  :lol:

This is superb :)

*Seamless Rate Adaptation - basically your line will adapt to whatever the current line conditions are meaning that your sync rate will change without a resynchronisation being needed So if you have intermittent noise on the line (as I do) then it'll just adapt to the noise without any interruption to your service.

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 10:11:57 AM »

SRA no longer works following a "software upgrade" on the DSLAM :(

Well to be more accurate it does actually work until the sync speed needs to be reduced by more than a few kbps (say 200kbps or so) and then the router simply locks up, requiring power cycling before any UDP data (like DNS requests - don't ask me why its just UDP!) can be transmitted or received on the WAN port. ICMP and TCP are fine - as a tracert -d shows. Turning off SRA results in the router resynchronising when SNR decreases appreciably but then its fine.

This coincides with a publicised outage on the DSLAM in our exchange for the aforementioned "software upgrade" and is totally repeatable.

Back to manually setting SNR then I guess  :wall:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 10:23:54 AM »

>> SRA no longer works following a "software upgrade" on the DSLAM Sad

Thats a real shame :/   One of the real benefits of adsl2(+) and not using it :(
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything